It's Catching Up With Her

Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Catching Up With Her

It's catching up with her. Every night of coming home and drinking is starting to take a toll on her health.

For two weeks, she has "felt terrible" "Dizzy" "Nauseous" and is having digestion issues. Tonight said "wonder if I had a stroke in my sleep?"..Numbness in arms...and so forth....it's starting.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi Asking,
How are you doing? It's so hard to watch someone harm themselves. When my son was in crisis all I could think of was what he was doing, and how he was doing. It overwhelmed me to the point where I began to stop thinking and feeling for myself...and I became lost, worn out and worried all the time.

I'm hoping that your wife will reach a point of wanting something better out of life and until then, I wish you all the best. We are here to support you and I hope you will keep sharing about yourself and how you are doing.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I lived through the same thing with my wife. She never c/o numbness though.

I am sorry for both of you
Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have dealt with alcohol affecting my AH's health and let me tell you it isnt pretty. He almost died 4 years ago from pancreatitis, withdrawals, liver problems etc. Do ya think that stopped him? Yeah, for a while but he started back up, gets sick, stops, starts back up etc. Its so sad to watch them destroy not only themselves but those who love them as well. My AH has to go to work furlough for 3 1/2 months in about 3 weeks and Im praying he attends meetings and decides to finally get sober. If not, me and my baby are gone. I cannot watch him kill himself anymore and my daughter deserves more. Does your wife realize she has a problem? Does she show any interest in getting help? I know exactly how you are feeling and trust me the feeling sucks. I want you to know I am here for you and I'm a good listener. I will help you get through this any way I can. It's wonderful that you are here for support. I find just reading posts helps me so I dont feel so alone. I gain strength from those who have said "enough is enough" and now focus on themselves instead of the alcoholic. Im not all the way there yet but one day I will be. I pray you are too. Let's just hope that our alcoholics get help and we never have to make that decision yanno? PM me anytime...I truly know what you are going through. You and you wife will be in my prayers.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wolflvr

God bless you
Old 05-25-2007, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
full of hope

So sorry AW!

How are you holding up!?

(((((AW)))))
Old 05-25-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The numbness or pain in the fingers and toes could be alcoholic neuropathy. It is caused by a vitamin deficency, due to a poor diet where the alcoholic is getting only empty calories from the alcohol. The nerve fibers are losing their outer covering.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I assume that at this point she is still taking care of all of her personal needs in life to where she is facing her problem head on right?

I will pray that once she is facing all of her problems alone with no one to help her with them that she finds recovery like I did at that point.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Has she been to see a doctor? How are you doing?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Asking Why)))

AH's symptoms, much like those you describe started about 10 years ago. It landed him in the hospital only this year. I don't know if that's had any impact on him, as we are not in contact. Up until the last time I saw him, he drank to relieve the symptoms, never believed the drinking was causing them.

Be sure to take care of you during this time.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For some, developing serious health problems can cause them to reach their bottom and start turning their lives around ...for others it is just the beginning of the end.

My husband had many assorted problems over the last few years .. numbness, digestion problems, pain, vision loss, mental impairment, muscle wasting, and liver disease. Plus he developed signs of serious conditions called Korsakoff's Psychosis and Wernicke's Syndrome. guyinNC is right about the numbness ... low vitamin levels are common yet can cause serious neurological problems in long term alcoholics. If your wife is willing, she needs to have some medical tests to confirm some of the problems ... at the very least she should have her vitamin levels checked with a simple blood test ...and this has to be requested as most doctors don't ordinarily order it.

Several years ago, my husband began to lose his vision ...and he went to a highly specialized neuro opthmalogist with 18 years of medical training and he put him through endless tests; MRI's CAT scans, blood tests, numerous specialized neurological tests that took weeks and thousands of dollars yet yielded no diagnosis.. and my husband's vision continued to fail. In frustration, after several weeks I did an internet search of my own, and discovered the likely problem ... it was alcohol related and due to low vitamin levels ...that this doctor had never tested for even though he was suspicious he was an alcoholic. Once the doctor ordered vitamin level blood tests ...the problem was simply treated by my husband taking assorted B vitamins ... and, of course, he was told to stop drinking-which he never did. The introduction of B vitamins improved his vision and prevented him from going completely blind. If an alcoholic can't stop drinking ...sometimes taking vitamins could prevent or delay some very serious and permanent physical and mental problems-but certainly not all. For some alcoholics, they would rather take vitamins than stop drinking ... and my husband was one of those. However, this does not resolve many other alcohol related health issues...in time alcohol can damage ever cell and organ in their bodies ... and for my husband, alcohol so damaged his body, it eventually took his life.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

She isn't going to stop...she doesn't realize she has a problem...and when I mention it, the walls go up and she gets defensive beyond belief.

My goal is to get through the summer....and then make some decisions