To Minnie

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks, pet. Service? Perhaps, although that is a very al-anon laden concept for me. That was one of the (many) reasons why I no longer go - I just don't DO committees ;-)

Yup, just more growing pains. Whilst they hurt less than the early ones, they are actually way more difficult to understand these days.

p.s. chuffed means pleased.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie View Post
Do I now have a duty* to fulfill that role for others? If so, do I do that within the relatively narrow focus that is the world of those that are affected by others' drinking habits or is this not really a bigger picture thing?
No, I wouldn't say you, or I, or anyone have a duty. As far as my own recovery, it is a bigger picture thing, which is evident to me from the path it's taking. For me, the key has been sharing and then letting go. Planting seeds I call it.

Originally Posted by minnie View Post
Instead of accepting the status quo, whether that of myself, my family, society, I would rather become a questioner so that I find my own standards and values and encourage others to do the same.
Seekers are such fun to be around! LOL I've written about this before here, but I no longer have a need to have my thoughts or deeds validated by another. I'll seek advice, share what I've decided, but I don't ask the question "do YOU think I did the right thing?" Because no one else knows what is the best thing for me, anymore than I know what is best for someone else. Getting to that place takes a lot of work. Developing that muscle took time and concentration. One day I realized someone else's drinking habits no longer had anything to do with my own recovery.

(((minnie)))

p.s. what IS it with the Brits and their sense of duty? Such a queen thing! LOL!!!!!!! You know I love you.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

p.s. chuffed means please
THANK YOU!! i've lost sleep over this,,,,he,he,he

Just a clarification. I didn't mean service in the al anony kind of way. They refer to service to OTHERS. I'm referring to the service your doing for YOURSELF

Mesmerized this morning by the grand dames of SR. You and Denny are full of insight and what i want to be when I GROW UP!!!

Peace
Old 05-22-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
p.s. what IS it with the Brits and their sense of duty? Such a queen thing! LOL!!!!!!!
LOL!!!
Can't tell you how many times I typed out a reply then deleted after I examined MY motives for posting.

Was it about a sense of duty? Service? Helping others? My own edification? My own ego? I have decided to remain silent for the most part, been that way for a while actually. Hard to believe... huh? Me? Keep my mouth shut?!?!? LOL!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh Jazz, my sweet. How well you know me! Yes, I admit - I sometimes post to feed my own ego and I think that it is a big factor in my struggles. Quick and easy fix for when I am feeling not so good about myself. The only saving grace is that at least the action has positive effects on others at best, and at worst only wastes bandwidth. Ahtough it also wastes my time, which is something I am only now starting to really value.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
LOL!!!
Can't tell you how many times I typed out a reply then deleted after I examined MY motives for posting.
OMG!!! That is so true and I really sucked at reining myself in at the beginning. LOL!!!

Hard to believe... huh? Me? Keep my mouth shut?!?!? LOL!!!
LOL!!!! But there's something to said for what Minnie says - what I sometimes may think is in service of my ego actually does help someone else. People come in and out of our lives in many ways, in many places. I'm glad when I first came to SR that Minnie and Jazz were posting their hearts out, it helped me enormously. Today, many of the "old timers" who were here and very helpful to me are gone. Many are still here. Old and new, I gain from all the shares.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh, and Denny, can you see I've changed my siggy under my moniker?!! Yes, we have a tendency towards duty in certain parts of society over here, even if it screws up our lives and those of others. Sighs.....
Old 05-22-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sharing the wealth as far as helping others from our own lessons learned....
That makes me feel good TBH. And when I get a response for my effort the validation so shweet
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
OMG!!! That is so true and I really sucked at reining myself in at the beginning. LOL!!!
Too funny... I would not have said that but since you did....
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That damn Thanks button's got a lot to answer for......
Old 05-22-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Too funny... I would not have said that but since you did....
Oh crap, there's probably plenty of people who wish I'd get some bigger reins. LOL!!!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hows that saying go? Let he who be free of sin cast the 1st stone?

I would have to drop my rock
Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Not me, D. I love hearing what you have to share.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Me too, hope you know I'm kidding
Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Btw, I'm not an'ka, in case anyone was wondering.