Need Advise - Questions

Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Advise - Questions

Since Im making these plans. He has the electric, cell phone, and garbage in his name. The rest are in my name. Can I just call them and they would change the name to mine? Also when you go for child support. Do they take into consideration the medical or dental insurance I have covering DD? Meaning does he have to pay half? Is there a percentage of his paycheck I could get? I work full time and provide the insurance for our family. I cant take him off unless I divorce him.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
full of hope

I have no answers, BP, just wanted to tell you I'm thinking about you!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I don't have any answers either BP, my thought would be to consult an attorney. There are some who offer free consultations. I'm only aware of what's allowed in Arizona, if you post where you live someone else might have some background in the matter.

(((hugs))) Sorry that you're going through this. Stay safe, protect your daughter, and keep the focus on yourself.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Call Child Support Enforcement in your area to check that out.

When I filed there was a worksheet that I filled out listing ALL my expenses... and then the state determined how much it "should" cost to raise the child and what the expense is... and then did it as a percentage of income on both of us.

So if he made twice my salary the split might be 25% me and 75% him.....

But check in your state.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live in Pennslyvannia. Hey I didnt know lawyers would give you a free consultation.
Good Idea
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beer Police, your name alone is a great inspiration for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Most lawyers will give the first hour free. The one I met with was very nice, though I didn't go with him in the end because AH hired a shark and this guy told me at his age he didn't want to take highly contentious cases. That one hour gave me such peace of mine I will be forever grateful to him.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, I nicknamed myself that. Because that is what I had become. Im telling you I can hear a beer can top open from anywhere in the house. Open up the fridge and I could tell you how many beers were drank and what was left. By those amounts I then could figure out what came next. Crazy I know, but sadly true. Thank you Cynay Im going to check into this. Least it would give me an idea.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Royalty

Ive never had any trouble calling and putting everything in my name. The cell phone is the only one that might be a problem. If so, chuck that one and get your own (and don't pay it, if it's his)

Child support (in Ohio) is figured by some grand chart that has an amount that is what it costs to raise a child, then two, three, ect... They add our incomes together, lets say I make 25,000 yr, and he makes 75,000. That equals 100,000 total income that is available to these kids. Then they go to their "magic" chart, 2 children, $100000, and it says $20000. My portion would be 25% of that ($5000) and ex's 75% ($15000)...then divide it by month, and he would be paying me (kids living with me) $1250 month.

That is just an example. I'm sure you know that many things can effect that number, and of course, all states figure it differently. Some figure a different amount if you have shared parenting (most common) or sole custody. Some consider the actual amount of time spent at each home. Insurance is usually ordered to continue (for the kids) as it has been. It will be written into the agreement, BP shall provide insurance for children. (if that's what you want...if not, you can suggest a different solution, EX shall carry insurance) Sometimes this amount is subtracted from your income, which can effect the total child support.

As said, consult with an attorney. Usually they will discuss it with you (for free) for one hour, then they will give you a total that they need to start your case. This can be anywhere from $1500-$5000). My simple divorce, five minutes, sign here, cost $1500. My custody case, 4 years later, cost well over $35000.....so make sure you get the details ironed out the first time. No one foresees too many problems, we sure didn't....then came the stepmother! Best to be prepared!

Retired BeerPolice.... that shall be your new name when this is all done.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I live in FL and on Monday went down to City Hall and spoke with a Family Law Counselor about divorce proceedings, etc. It was completely free. I don't have children, but do have a sticky situation with our home mortgage being solely in his name (liability) and the deed being in both our names (asset). They definitely pointed me in the right direction and gave me a referral list of lawyers and mediatiors in my area. Maybe your county court house has a similar service?

I have about 95 forms to fill out and have notarized.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BeerPolice; I can especially relate to you as beer was and probably still is the love and passion..... carry on BP
Old 05-18-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the excellent advise. I went online and found the Pa Child Support website. If Im going to do this, Im going to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.