Withdrawl Symptoms, Detox ??

Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can only tell you my own personal experience with my alcoholic son--I to am an RN.I myself would not attemp at home detox-unless as steve pointed out I had all the proper eqipment/medicines etc....even then I would not do it...emotions could get in the way.

Detox is bestleft to the pros-inpatientYou never know how they are going to react-plus it gives them a chance to get a physical and some counseling
.The medications you refer to are meds used after detox to block cravings.
For 14 years of detoxs-AA-and everything under the sun the only thing that ever worked for my son was Camphrol--it helped him cut the craving without any side effects andhelped him to stay sober for the first time(after many many attempts) You don't need the antabuse--that makes them feel sicker---just the camphrol should work...

My AS was on it for 3 months but you can be up to a year I think.I wish you the best--it is always worth the try and has a high% of positive results.Why wouldn't an A want to try it?
What would be the downside?
Your AH may be one of those it works for.
If it doesn't---you have lost nothing.
We must be very careful what we write here-that it is medically sound and correct
Attached Images
File Type: gif
2006 Hugs4.gif (51.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

5Stars...I know this all must be so hard for you to be going through. I don't even have children to take care of, and dealing with my AH's struggle with detox and all the craziness that alcoholism brings, took a huge toll on me. You are obviously one tough cookie to deal with all of this.

But....sorry....there's just one thing....or, actually, four....

I just don't get why you'd be willing to expose those sweet, beautiful children to a alcoholic. Sorry for being so forward. I do not mean to offend. I just honestly don't understand what could be so great about anyone that it'd be worth having those precious children around such toxic behavior and thinking.

Last edited by Morning Glory; 11-15-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Always a good idea to let the professionals do this (detox) as seizures and other complications can occur. As for the 'wimp' comment, don't play with peoples lives by making comparisions with yourself.

Kevin
Old 05-15-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sorry to be a little off topic, but thank you all for reminding me what it was like.

*shudders*

There must be millions of alcoholics that do it at home
Yeah, I'm one of 'em.

I did it the last time at home. It wasn't pretty, I didn't like it. I had a BP cuff, & my BP was like 210/160. I experienced everything everyone else here has posted. Shaking, sweating, puking, "pooping", cold, hot, achy, cramps, itching, insomnia, fatigue, depression, anxiety, halluicinations.....(well, those were kinda cool ). Thank God I didn't have a seizure.

The acute portion lasted 3-4 days. Over weeks, the symptoms gradually lessened. 7 months in now, the itching has finally gone away, & I can sleep. I still fatigue easily.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My hubby has detoxed both at home and in the detox ctr. He deotxed in the van at the start of our family vacation last summer --we were driving from VA to OH, left on a Friday and he was sick ALL weekend -- (I wouldn't suggest this to ANYONE--very nerve wracking). This was in early August and he managed to stay dry until the end of the 10 day trip. Started up again and then checked himself into the detox ctr about a week after we got home. The thing is is that each time they stop and then start, the next time they detox it is much worse and on the flip side, at least for my hubby, his sobriety periods get longer (was sober from 8/21 or so until 12/16) and his relapse periods get shorter (12/16-2/5). He's been sober since Feb -- I have no idea if he's attending meetings or not -- for my sanity sake I have to stay totally out of his recovery this time (the last 4 times I was "how bout a meeting", "call your sponsor", etc.). I can say that whatever he's doing, he seems to be keeping at minimum a finger hold on sobriety -- is actions/attitudes/feelings are that of when he practices the principles. In Feb he called me at work and said he needed to go in -- bp was skyhigh, sweats, shakes, dizziness, etc. and I can't even begin to tell you how much he was actually drinking because he was a closet drinker. I know he'd wake up in the middle of the night to have a swig because he'd be shaking. The detox he had last year in May, the ER nurse said "i'm not supposed to tell you this, but have him drink on the way to the ER so that he can go to the detox ctr instead of the medical floor" because it IS that dangerous!

At any rate, for any of you who don't attend Al-Anon, I would highly suggest it -- my life has been ever changed -- and I do find I can be happy whether my hubby is drinking or not. Happiness is an inside job.

Take care and hugs,
Eileen

p.s. The last time he was in detox he was there for 7 days -- so it really does get worse each time!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Beer was on the medication list at a VA Hospital

being told it may be necessary to give alcohol to someone while enroute to detox is not secret information or advice

================================================== =========

below is summary of complete article (fair use) link is
http://www.jointogether.org/news/res...ithdrawal.html

Hospitals Treat Withdrawal Symptoms with Alcohol
February 7, 2003

Research Summary

Researchers in Kentucky found that two-thirds of the major teaching hospitals in the United States treat patients who are in withdrawal from alcohol dependency with alcoholic beverages, Reuters reported Feb. 4.

From a poll of 116 teaching hospitals, the researchers determined that 72 percent had dispensed alcohol to patients during the previous year. In the majority of cases, the alcohol was given to treat or prevent alcohol-withdrawal syndrome.

The researchers found that instead of treating patients with the recommended sedative drugs, the hospitals dispense beer, wine, distilled spirits, or IV-based ethanol.

"Beer was dispensed at 53 hospitals, distilled spirits at 31, wine at 25, brandy at 10, and grain alcohol at 7," according to the report.

Furthermore, at 38 hospitals, alcohol was given to patients as a "courtesy," while a few hospitals used alcohol to sedate patients or to stimulate appetites.

The researchers said that such policies are sending the message that alcohol is an effective treatment for illness. They further noted that the policies could lead to dangerous drug/alcohol interactions.

Acknowledging that sedatives like benzodiazepines may not be appropriate in all situations, lead author Dr. Richard D. Blondell of the University of Louisville in Kentucky said when alcohol is used, it should be treated as a drug.

"If we are going to use alcohol, we ought to prescribe it as a drug dosed at a specific time," Blondell said.

The study is published in the February 5 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

================================================== ==============================================

PS God forbid but should I ever need detox, please check me in where they dispense Chivas Royal Salute
Old 05-16-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Detailed info on withdrawl link

http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic643.htm
Old 05-16-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think when people decide to do it on their own at home, this implies that they think it wil be a matter of will power, that not drinking is a matter of the mind. If and when medical intervention is needed, there's no way to know how bad it will get or what particular medical situation may present itself. These sympotoms do not present themselves right away, sometimes it's the third or fifth day. He may not be at home.
I'm an RN and if we were stranded on a desert island, I could probably remove your appendix successfully or deliver your baby if I had to, I think you'd appreciate knowing that I at least read a book about it first before attempting to do it.
Your man wanted to binge, with you joining him and start taking the pills the same day he was starting a new job. So far, not an impressive plan.
If he starts to shake, do you call 911? What if he starts to shake harder? Do you call 911? What is he starts sweating and shaking? Will it get worse or is that as bad as it will get? There is no way to know and you have four babies in the house that restrict you ability to tend to you man, to drive him anywhere. Even the professional people at the hospital don't know how bad it will be, they treat the symptoms before them. If you see even one symptom that makes you anxious, call 911 then. You have agreed to participate in this home detox. I would leave as little judgement as possible. I would refuse to judge a medical situation. Call 911. It would be very odd is he had no symptoms, it would imply he's drinking. It isn't impossible but beyond the scope of anything you should have to figure out. Detoxing at home is selfish,nothing he should expect you to participate in or be witnessed by your kids. I would agree to allow this at home with one stipulation that he would agree to right up front, at any time I felt uncomfotable I will call 911. If he has delerium and hits you hurting you, who's going to be there to protect those babies?
You are allowed to change your mind about this. I get the sense that you think consider manditory in facility detox a lack of support on your part. It isn't, it's a good sound medical decision.
I'm hoping he is the exception to the rule. If this doesnt' work, do it on your terms not his.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Perhaps the alcoholic planning to self detox(at home or wherever) is another aspect of denial. Telling her/himself its really not that bad or I am not that much of an alcoholic to need bona fide detox, etc.

Tell him it is better to check into detox so the babies don't get neglected while you are busy with his withdrawl. Make hime think he is doing it for the childrens sake.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

double post deleted