New twist to detox?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New twist to detox?

Hi all, thanks for all the encouragement while AH is in detox.

He was sent there Friday night for a 72 hour hold following a seizure trying to detoz himself. Was supposed to get out today, now they said the 72 hour hold does not count weekends??? They are keeping him until atleast Wednesday. I say at least because after I talked to the charge nurse, she said the Ativan wasn't cutting it and so she started him on Librium. Said he lost his balance yesterday and fell and hurt his foot.

She also said he is very mad at her for not letting him out. She said that happens all the time.

This is the first time he has been to detox ever, first seizure ever, He was in ER about 8-9 months ago when they made him quit drinking but he signed out AMA and was drinking again within 2 weeks. He was on Ativan that time.

ER Dr said he is down to about 10% liver function left, however if he quits drinking, his liver can recover from this. The nurse at detox said he doesn't probably have another detox left in him should he ever need to do it again.

Thoughts from the rest of you who have been here before???
Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thoughts? There with you ((((Hanginon))))

He is in the best place possible for him now, whether he aggrees or not. Medical emergency, pure and simple

My A ended up in intensive care. He has all kinds of medical issues directly as a result of his alcoholism. Went to detox once he was stable.

What sticks in my mind, is his therapist who looked at him at one of our sessions and said, "How many detoxes do you have left in you?" Is THAT what she meant?!?!? Which one will KILL him.

So scary, and we are so powerless.

My A is very scared of losing his life, yet, he continues to drink. I have compassion for that. What must it feel like to not want to die, but hold that gun to your head just the same? Gives me a clear indication where his head is at. I can not let him bring me with him. I WANT to live, and put the gun away recently.

Take care of yourself, and KNOW you have done everything in your power to help this man who doesn't want to put down the gun

I'm speaking to the spirits for you

Peace
Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
full of hope

Just saying a prayer for you guys, Hanginon!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Hanginon (((hugs)))

My brother was bleeding from his liver and they told him if he continued to drink that he would not live-past 6 months or so....so he quit for almost 3 years and then had the biggest relaspe ever-We pray now which is all we can do that while he is in jail for the next 11 months that he will continue to recovery for good this time. That is all we can do pray that they will want life!

And CE Girl -funny my XAB claims that he wants to live too-hence why he still goes to the liquior store I'm sure everynight! (Not my problem anymore and I'm learning in recovery not to allow anyone's problems to be mine ever again because I choose to LIVE and what others do by their own choices are their own problem!

Prayers to you-
Old 05-14-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
He was sent there Friday night for a 72 hour hold following a seizure trying to detoz himself. Was supposed to get out today, now they said the 72 hour hold does not count weekends??? They are keeping him until atleast Wednesday.
There's probably a lot of tests that don't run on the weekend. After my AH had his first they wanted to do a CAT scan and an EEG with regards to the seizure to make sure there wasn't damage or something wrong with the brain. It was while we were waiting for the CAT scan and shortly thereafter that he flipped out and started hallucinating - and talk about mad. He was screaming at me with the nurse standing there outside the door and me in tears.

I say at least because after I talked to the charge nurse, she said the Ativan wasn't cutting it and so she started him on Librium.
Librium is what they've used on my AH too, apart from the first time. If the wanted they could bump up the dose and knock him out - then ... I was going to say then they're not so mad, but my AH was - they had to strap him down with leathers in the ICU because he was out of it (sleeping) and moving like he was fighting the golden globes.

She also said he is very mad at her for not letting him out. She said that happens all the time.
I agree, it happens all the time.

ER Dr said he is down to about 10% liver function left, however if he quits drinking, his liver can recover from this. The nurse at detox said he doesn't probably have another detox left in him should he ever need to do it again..
The liver function tests get worse for a few days while they're detoxing. But they can recover.
This is a rough estimate of my AHs timeline after seizure #1.
Saturday AH had seizure
Monday they did CAT Scan & EEG & that evening put him out with high doses of Ativan
Tuesday - liver function still worse
Wednesday - liver function still not good, he started retaining fluid so they put him on a diuretic. They tried suctioning him, all this lying around he was starting to get fluid in his airway/lungs. The diuretic helped some with this too. They hoped they didn't have to put him on a ventilator.
Thursday - liver getting a little better, somewhere in Wednesday or Thursday they gave him something for constipation. (he'd love knowing I'm telling you all about that)
Friday - he woke up, wanted to see me. He wanted to get up to go to the bathroom - he was totally embarassed to know that he'd been using a diaper. Of course they wouldn't let him up yet - he hadn't walked in over 4 days.
Saturday or Sunday he left ICU and went to a regular bed.
The next Monday he left the hospital - before he was technically discharged and went to his sisters.

I'm glad part of that in my life is over. Still have to deal with my stbxAH though.
Hope you had a good Mother's Day.

Your in my prayers.
((((HUGS))))
Old 05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

prayers for you both...
Old 05-14-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hanginon he's lucky he only had one seizure. Mine started approximately 16 hours after I had put the plug in the jug. At the time they started my BAC was .38 and they could not get me to stop seizuring.

I did it all day on and off. Heart stopped several times and the last time I was down for 28 minutes and the ER Dr was putting the TOD on my chart when my heart started on its own.

That was almost 26 years ago now, and yes I have been sober since then. I took my alcoholism to the max and lived the last year and a half on the streets.

You have done what you can to help him, now he has to help himself. Please get to some Al-anon meetings. Please take care of you and the kids. Please set some boundaries so your children do not have to see this again.

Keeping you and yours in my prayers.....................

Love and hugs,
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
full of hope

Oh, Laurie! WOW!

So glad you survived to be here with us today!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember watching my Grandson in the detox . It is frightening. Yet it is the safest place to be in that mode. Sometimes I am bewildered that Alcoholism Withdrawl is taken so lightly. It is a medical crisis in everyway. Should always be treated as one.