SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Unbelievable!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/123307-unbelievable.html)

reader 05-11-2007 03:56 PM

Unbelievable!!

My uncle who I am estranged from got a liver transplant a few years ago. He had to establish his soberity for a year or two before he was eligible to go on the list. He was on the list for quite awhile and was very close to death when a compromised liver became available. He had no choice but to take it. Fast forward 2 years and he is sneaking drinks from his girlfriend who went through hell nursing him back to health, i guess it was a terrible recovery. I feel like this was such a gift of life and i sure the family of the donor would be outraged. What a waste.......

dollydo 05-11-2007 04:00 PM

Yes, I agree, what a waste.

Some people have a death wish, he may be one of those people.

WhatAboutME 05-11-2007 04:55 PM

Selfish, if you ask me.

Hey Reader, you are in Crown Point, NY? My mother grew up there and my grandmother lived there until last year when she passed away. I just moved to FL from Lake Placid, NY. Small world.

denny57 05-11-2007 05:03 PM

Denial is awesome to watch. Perhaps he thinks a fresh start with a new liver.

FormerDoormat 05-11-2007 07:40 PM

Think of how many non-drinkers who didn't destroy their organs intentionally could have used that liver instead. I've heard of this happening time and time again with alcoholics. They get themselves sober long enough to get the transplant, then get right back to work on destroying another liver.

Think of how many other people waiting for a transplant would have treated the new liver like the true gift that it was. What a waste.

lilac 05-11-2007 08:37 PM

This is a very selfish act.............There are sooo many people with liver problems that could have used that liver..........not just got it so they could keep on drinking.

chero 05-11-2007 09:51 PM

I have a friend that works at a hospital that does lots of transplants and she said almost all of their liver transplant patients who were alcoholics don't make it because they eventually go back to drinking.

It's a very sad thing. I don't know if I think it's selfish. It's just so hard to imagine someone doing it on purpose.

It's hard to understand!

Sunflower 05-11-2007 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes it is more common than you think...

kermit 05-11-2007 09:56 PM

Chero, I agree.it is a powerful disease

chero 05-11-2007 10:02 PM

Thanks, Kermmie, I was so hesitant to say disease and start the debat again.

Sunflower 05-11-2007 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OH OH---I am going to bed--before I get blamed for this one LOL---don't see why we can't discuss it like adults here but I have finally realised in this forum it is impossible--AA is the only way and thats it for most here---sometimes I think I am with holding how my AS got sober because it upsets people--but I get many many PMs so If interested people still contact me.

chero 05-11-2007 10:07 PM

SUNFLOWER!! Don't go!!! LOL!

Sunflower 05-12-2007 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry you are stuck with me lol

kermit 05-12-2007 01:40 PM

Just like cancer........it can come back. that's my take I guess