SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   On Marriage (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/122620-marriage.html)

minnie 05-04-2007 01:28 AM

On Marriage

Inspired by Astro's thread......

I don't know about in the US, but many wedding ceremonies in the UK have this reading as part of the service. I get a tear in my eye every time I hear it - probably because it is contrary to how I have lived most of my life. It's now a central part of my toolbox.

Then Almitra spoke again and said, "And what of Marriage, master?"

And he answered saying:

You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.

You shall be together when white wings of death scatter your days.

Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.

But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.

Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together, yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

embraced2000 05-04-2007 06:47 AM

(((((sigh))))))

beautiful. just beautiful. i want that.

Astro 05-04-2007 07:30 AM

Thank you for posting that Minnie. Yes, after destroying two marriages with my drinking I'd like to have that someday too.

FormerDoormat 05-04-2007 08:57 AM

And here I thought I'd been way too picky over the years, since I'm now 47 and I've yet to find someone I'd consider marrying (though I've had offers). But now I know that I've simply been patiently waiting for that one special someone with whom to share my life.

And I'll keep waiting patiently and continue to be extremely choosy because I won't settle for anything less.

Beautiful post. Words I plan to be living by one day.

minnie 05-04-2007 10:14 AM

It's great, isn't it?

Ironically, the first time I really "heard" it was at my (nonA) ex's wedding in October 04. By the beginning of December, I had left R.

The more info I read that mapped out what I wanted, the more I could measure it against what I was experiencing. And now I can keep the same info in my back pocket to help me make the next relationship work.

MsPINKAcres 05-04-2007 11:18 AM

That is beautiful - Never heard that read at a wedding in this part of the States.

Cynay 05-04-2007 02:15 PM

I love that writing...

I know that it is possible, I have seen just a few couples like that in my lifetime... but just seeing them lets me know its possible.

Guess I just have to wait for that amazing relationship too.

DesertEyes 05-05-2007 09:41 AM

Waiting???? * harumph * I ain't doing no stinking waiting !!

I'm busy building a better _me_ so that I can be the kind of "oak tree" that will attract a "Cypress". Not gonna be no sapling when I meet my Cypress.

Am doing my exercises, doing Yoga, started going to a step study with my sponsor, and reaching out to newcomers. I'm expanding my job skills and will be looking for a better paying job early next year.

This here oak ain't waiting, I'm busy _growing_ ;)

Mike :)

FormerDoormat 05-06-2007 05:34 PM

Is that what all that krap is under your helmet? And here I thought you were just sporting a 'fro.

DesertEyes 05-06-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat (Post 1321180)
Is that what all that krap is under your helmet? And here I thought you were just sporting a 'fro.

* lmao * That is not k**** !!! I'll have you know, it's a _broccolli_

Mike ;)
p.s. Minnie, sorry for hijacking