Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Movie Night Report - The Pursuit of Happiness and Aligning Our Actions With Our Goals

Movie Night Report - The Pursuit of Happiness and Aligning Our Actions With Our Goals

Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Texas girl---I hate that kind of movie BUT I went to see it just so I could see Gerard Butler half naked wowowowoowwwow---I have been a huge fan of his sice he did Phantom of the Opera...lol
Attached Images
File Type: gif
animated rose.gif (20.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Royalty

Which one of you are Siskel, and who's Ebert? Two thumbs up for Monster-in-law...hilarious movie.

Just got done watching The Devil wears Prada....it was okay. Son looked bored outta his mind though, lol. He will like Divinci code tomorrow night, and then daughter will be bored. Oh well, can't please everyone all of the time.

If anyone has hints on how to get movies copied to an ipod...I would like to hear it. I don't want anything really illegal....but if it's for my own personal use, then I thought that was supposed to be ok? Dang copywrited stuff.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, FD, for starting this thread. It has certainly raised my spirits and it sounds as if a number of you guys out there are taking time to relax and enjoy yourselves. I bought a Bose surround sound system and a 42-inch HD flat screen t.v. (okay, I admit it ... I LOVE being a couch potato!) and I pulled out some oldies but goodies from my collection.

I don't go to movie theaters anymore ... refuse to pay the price to get in and have some clown sitting next to me yakking the entire time. Even when I used to go see movies, I always snuck my own soda and popcorn in my purse. I refuse to spend $4 for a small box of popcorn that I can make at home for 50 cents!

Anyway, with the bucks invested in the sound system and the flat screen, I watched "Dr. Zhivago" the other night. What spectacular scenery and a wonderful love story.

So I'll toss in my list of all-time favorites:

Dr. Zhivago (as mentioned ...)
All About Eve (Bette Davis at her bit**y best)
The Sixth Sense
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon (yeah, I like lots of explosions and shooting ...)
Terminator II (do we see a trend here???)
The Color Purple
Animal House
Tootsie
Patton
Kramer vs. Kramer
Sophie's Choice (another brilliant performance by Streep)
The Graduate ("Mrs. Robinson, I think you're trying to seduce me.")
The Sting

Thanks again, FD and everyone who posted to this thread. You all gave me the pick-me-up I needed! I've pulled out my DVD's and I'm about to toss in a disc. Hint: "hasta la vista, baby!" (P.S. - My choice of movies should now prove, beyond any doubt, that I am INDEED older than dirt!) LOL!!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My favorite movies ar mostly old ones. Grapes of Wrath, American Beauty, The Lion in Winter, It's a wonderful Life, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Phenomenon, Sleepless in Seattle, An Affair to Remember, Imitation of Life, Gone with the Wind, The Three Faces of Eve, just off the top of my head.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I hardly ever go to the movies as well I wait for it on DVD--I too am a couch potato and have the big screen tv with surround sound!! Then you can sit in your easy chair make your own popcorn--even fall asleep and then go back later LOLOL!!!!
As for my favorites
Lawrence of Arabia
The Color Purple
Educating Rita
Beckett (coming out on dvd this month!)
The Passion
Gone With the Wind
SOOOO many--I am up to about a 250dvd collection at this point
Still nothing better than a trip to NYC and Broadway/Opera live!!!
Attached Images
AdamDancing.gif (10.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I loved Phenomenon and Sleepless in Seattle, too. Mallow. And Gone with the Wind is another fave of mine, Sunshine. I've seen it about six times. Loved the Sixth Sense, the Die Hard series, the Terminator series, and Lethal Weapon series, too, Prodigal. Who wouldn't love Dr. Zhivago? Anybody else think Omar Shariff was a hottie?

How about Second Hand Lion with Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau? Anybody here see that? That was another personal fave of mine.

Monster-in-Law was fabulous. J-Lo was a good choice. She made a fabulous sparring partner for Jane Fonda, who seems to look amazing at any age.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
full of hope

I saw NEXT last night at the theater. I really liked it. It has Nicolas Cage in it...and he needs a hair cut but other than that it was good!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Walter Matthau used to own a camp in my town in the seventies. He was always seen around town at the diner or fishing. I swear grumpy old men was based on our town and the people in it. I love Jack and Walter in anything. The Out of Towners with jack Lemon was so funny.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

walter mathau reminds me of my father so much!!! Grumpy old men? that is the best!
And chero how could I notice Omar shariff when Peter O toole was there?????hahhah
Attached Images
CatwithFlower.gif (11.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'm not sure I remember the Out of Towners. Is that the movie where they were both vying for Anne Margaret's attention? I think I'll search on Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau and add some of their old movies to my Netflix list.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

they are always good movies to watch!!
Attached Images
Tinkerbell.gif (10.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
full of hope

Omar IS a hottie!
and so was Tyrone Powers!