SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Fame & Fortune is No Protection (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/122574-fame-fortune-no-protection.html)

guyinNC 05-03-2007 02:16 PM

Fame & Fortune is No Protection

Sadly, David Hasselhoff of Bay Watch Fame has a problem with alcohol.

His family put the intervention on tape.

http://www.etonline.com/celebrities/news/48036/

In what appears to be a cry for help, ET has obtained exclusive video of DAVID HASSELHOFF in Las Vegas -- where he is currently starring in The Producers -- in which he appears to be intoxicated in heartbreaking footage believed to be taken three months ago by his 16-year-old daughter, TAYLOR.

In the video, Taylor begs her father to stop drinking, saying, "Dad, look what this is doing to you. You have to stop drinking alcohol, promise me you won't drink anymore."

FormerDoormat 05-03-2007 06:53 PM

Alcoholism choses it's victims randomly. I've decided not to watch the video as I no longer wish to dredge up old feelings associated with Richard's drinking. These days, I'm only focusing on what's positive in my life.

Sunflower 05-03-2007 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
maybe it will help someone who sees it---thanks

chero 05-03-2007 08:24 PM

I'm with FD...I can't watch it.

It makes me sad to think about it....esp. since I'm living with an active A.

mallowcup 05-04-2007 01:39 AM

Better to discuss the disease than a person. ET has exclusive video on some very private stuff. I can't see how showing this video would help anyone, especially Mr. Hasslehoff. That feels a little more like manipulation.
I suppose if any of our alcoholics were celebrities and we thought we might use exposure for leverage, or payback, we'd consider it.
I think it is a tremendous betrayal. The only person who should view this video is him....if it was truly intended to help him. Assassinating him an rag TV doesn't feel right. I can't believe that any recovery program would stamp this as helpful or acceptable. So much for the second "A" in AA.

Zoey 05-04-2007 04:37 AM

guy, yes, it happens to all different kinds of people, true there is no protection.

If one is not an alcoholic it is something to be REALLY REALLY thankful for.

Hope he stays sober now. He claimed to be in recovery and that was a relapse.

The rich can afford to keep going to the very best treatment centers, and can stay as long as they want. That still doesn't work for many alcoholics.

April was Alcohol Awareness month, was there any programs on that in April or was it mentioned??

Thanks for sharing

Zoey 05-04-2007 04:53 AM

guy, how about an update on you and your childern and the ex?

Seems I am not happy trying to get through life. My gratitude list is really nice and long, but doesn't fix the sad places.

guyinNC 05-04-2007 05:28 AM

CNN reported that It turns out Hasselhoff filmed requested he be filmed so as to be reminded of what he looked like when drunk. He hoped it would keep him sober. I'm not sure he expected it to be leaked to the media.

Thanks for the concern Zoey. My X made it home to her parents. She has called the kids a few times and is sobering up. How much permanent damage she has done to her body, I do not know. I don't ask, and her family does not tell.

I wish her the best. But its up to her to get her life together. Personally, I have my doubts.

mallowcup 05-04-2007 05:53 AM

In the hospital I first started out in nursing, I would say there were at least three major celebrities that passed through. One in particular had a very painful and chronic condition. I assisted in a procedure that was painful and this celebrity looked me dead square in the eye crying and asked me to hold her hand.
That day was an important one for me. I realized for the first time that disease and sickness knows no boundaries. No matter who we are, we are flesh and blood.
As normal folk walking around we don't really think about what it's like to be mega rich and famous. We envy them.
Let me tell you something, there is nothing, NOTHING so sad than to see a person discover that their money can't buy health.
Day after day, doors open for you, bills do not stack up, you have someone cleaning your house, someone cooking your food, planting your flowers, driving you....this does something to your head after a time. You become immune to the things of the world. You are surrounded by people who want to be near you.
This woman got sick and became like a vulnerable child, no one was there. Pain was there. Pain is humbling. We are all much more alike than different.
A drunk smart person is the same as a drunk famous person, a drunk guy in the ditch is the same as a housewife drunk in the closet. Flesh and blook responds to alcohol the same way over time. If you are rich and famous, you may hide it better for longer but when you crash, the trip is the same distance to the ground.
We had another extremely famous entertainer that was about to go in stage at a nearby performing arts. This woman wanted someoine to come at once to give her a B12 shot. She was already dressed for her show wearing black dancing tights. She said she didn't have time to take them off so just give her the injection right through her tights. Well, that's what we did on her insistance. I think she used the B12 to give herself a boost before a performance. I also think she may not have wanted us to see how many injection sites were on her thigh.
In a million years I would never give an injection through a pair of tights, but because she was who she was and insisted, I did. In many ways, the rich and famous may be the most highly enabled.

elizabeth1979 05-04-2007 06:01 AM

Thats disturbing to watch, but such is addiction.
Looks familiar.
What I find most disturbing is that his 16 year old is taking the role of the adult.

Hope they are getting some counseling for those girls.

embraced2000 05-04-2007 06:07 AM

ughhhh....they just aired it on tv news channel.....the same people sitting there as the news anchors or the people behind the scenes, shaking their heads in a show of sympathy, may very well be hammered by this evening, making problems for themselves and others.

guyinNC 05-08-2007 04:22 PM

What are your thoughts on the latest interviews with Hasselhoffs x wife and his battle with addiction.

Do you think this public "outing" will keep him sober? Or is this just media voyerism (sp)!

chero 05-08-2007 04:27 PM

Hmm...I haven't seen any interviews but a lot of A's have experienced some form of public outing. My AH has been arrested three times and it was all public. It didn't change him.
I hoped it would but the alcohol won.

Pick-a-name 05-08-2007 06:04 PM

Perhaps it was aired by the "kids" due to the upcoming custody hearing? In my mind, Alec Baldwinn's daughter possibly did that,too. I do not doubt for a minute that if my kids made a recording or video (and they might were they of that age and facing the possiblity of living in that environment w/out me) that they would love nothing more than getting the unrefuted "proof" out there. I think we all have been in many situations (often with professionals) where the A is able to manipulate the situation and come out looking "misunderstood" by the mean, old wife,etc...."poor guys. No wonder they drink!" ha:c002:
JMHO for the sake of discussion.

Really...who knows?

I do know that there are a LOT of analysts that don't have the foggiest clue about alcoholism/addiction or what living with one is like.

p.s. Chances are they could have even uploaded it on Myspace or even "accidently" made sure someone saw it and it took off from there. Hard to say. Anyone, esp. teenagers can pass a lot of info on the internet without much problem. (and they, or their friends, may not think of the consequences

guyinNC 05-08-2007 08:16 PM

Paris Hilton? Going to jail!!

Sunflower 05-08-2007 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!! Give me a break--lets see if she ever ends up there.

What I want to know is why aren't these celebrities with the big bucks putting the time/money/ into drug /alcohol recovery???? Istead of some of these other issues.

Why aren't they using their status to go before congress for funding etc...for addictions???

Seems Eric Clapton is the only one doing this

DesertEyes 05-08-2007 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflower (Post 1324150)
...What I want to know is why aren't these celebrities with the big bucks putting the time/money/ into drug /alcohol recovery???? Istead of some of these other issues....

They do, but they follow the Traditions of their recovery program and do it anonymously.

Mike :)

Sunflower 05-08-2007 09:56 PM

well it doesn't look that way to me as every night I turn on the TV there they are--all over the place--nothing private about that--they could at least take a public stand on it--- Time for AA to come out of the closet......

Bjen 05-09-2007 11:35 AM

Celebrity or not it breaks my heart. That poor little girl. Too young to know. I like his wife though. I saw an interview with her before i came here. She said that she will always love David. She said she just couldn't ride his roller coaster anymore. That was the short of it. But it stuck in my head. I tell my A alot that I don't like his roller coaster and I'm getting off. I will still always love him though. It just makes me mad at alcoholism all over again.

parentrecovers 05-09-2007 11:49 AM

Fame & Fortune is No Protection

nope, it's not.