dual diagnosis/any1 experience this ?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi LG, isn't PTSD post traumatic stress-disorder?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My therapist diagonsed me with PTSD (yes, post traumatic stress disorder). Nothing to get all twisted about, just helps to understand where my mind WAS, not IS. Yes, it can be a diagnosis, but it can be treated and I can and am moving on.

Take care.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That's great Denny. I do think that it helps to bring closure to certain behaviors to realize what cuases them. Being diagnosed with PTSD sort of names it so a person can move on. Things can happen to us and it can effect our long term lives. Anything that is mentally tramatizing effects us. If nothing else I think it's important to have that event validated as devasting.
When I was a teenager, I was like all teenaged girls. My interest in boys was pretty normal, it took a sick turn when my Uncle noticed my maturing and made a pass at me. Instead of celebrating my perky teenaged self, I developed a shame about my body. That was a horrible event. Just by someone finally saying it was horrible, I moved past it to realize that my Uncle is a pervert. My mother told me to "shussssh about it or my Aunt would be upset, he was just drunk".
I got kickd out at 15 and had to go live with my grandparents because my mother had an affair and I told after my father cried and begged me to tell what I knew. That wasn't right either, it would have been nice for that to have been validated but it never was.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am a recovering alcoholic. When I was correctly diagnosed as dual diagnosis - a chemiacally imbalanced depression that was there long before the drinking started-AND alcoholism, I was able to get the medication and treatment I needed for the depression. I still had to deal with the alcoholism. Was the drinking an attempt to self-medicate? I don't know, probably. However, at a certain point it became a full blown disease on its own. Being diagnosed with a dual diagnosis doesn't let you off the hook for dealing with you alcoholism. It just means you now know what else may be going on with you, what else needs to be worked on.

Stick to your boundaries.

-K
Old 04-27-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

Thank you all again so much for the support , Im learning in leaps and bounds here ! First off I know now to trust my gut . My boundarys are MY boundarys . When Im able to remember that its much easier to stick to my guns .

Taz & Socalgal , I just love hearing from those in recovery . Thanks for your support and Taz I was very clear in telling my ah that this decision wasnt to get back at him for what he has done , it was simply to help us both recover further . Thank you for your comments , they backed me up and I feel more secure in my decision now .

Troubled , I reread your post often , I do remember you and your daughter , our situations are so similar and Im praying for you as well .

And I totally agree with all of you on the PTSD . We are caught in the crossfire of the alcoholic and suffer the effects of that disease .

I will check out the other forums and read up on them . As of now , ah is getting
discharged on Monday and going to his moms house . I guess I will know in my
heart when or if we will be ready to reconcile . My kids are still going to counseling every other week and just today I picked up a couple of great books for them at the bookstore .

Thanks again ! you guys are the best !
M
Old 04-27-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

a medical diagnosis is just that--given by a professional after evaluation--not by us---I don't like anyone to use the word 'fad' disease-but you are entitled to-I wouldn't think a licensed professional would make a false diagnosis on purpose and risk losing their livelyhood. Ever one is sue you happy now a days.The medications for some of these diagnosis are heavy duty-with many side effescts and not handed out like candy,,,,,,,,All I know is some CAN"T deal with it--look around you--and some do well on medication--my son did--after years of beng told by others''deal with it" and telling me ''all he needs is a kick in the ass-throw him out" Doesn't work for some.
The BOTTOM LINE IS--do whatever works for you-you As have more choices now. You started off with one undiagnosed illness and ended up with two---thats a heavy cross to bear for anyone,,,,,,
Having lived with an A who is in recovery from alcohol and drugs secondary to medication--after all else failed him---is the reason I feel so strongly about this -a few years ago I may have agreed--but not now not after watching it right before my eyes. I am for anything and anyway to get someone out of the hell of addiction!!!!
No hate mail please LOL this comes from my heart
Attached Images
File Type: gif
cherub.gif (35.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hope3

Originally Posted by LGLG07 View Post
Ah is in a new hospital for dual diagnosis . He is being treated for PTSD and Personality Disorder (I think thats it) , as well as his addiction . For some reason
he thinks that since he has this new diagnosis and its 'technically' different than all the other times he was in rehab , he can come home when he is discharged .
His counselor wanted to see me so I went today and had a meeting with him and ah. First time I have seen ah in three weeks . When I was told he was being discharged on Monday and he was being set up for IOP close to our home I asked him where he was going to live . He acted shocked . He got so mad as if it was the first time he heard that he couldnt come home , then he started crying , sobbing in fact .

Honestly my heart was breaking to see him like this . He did the whole usual promises thing , 'this time is different' 'i learned so much here' 'i have to come home and work the program, i cant do it without you and the kids' it was really hard to look at him when he was begging , so much easier when you are fighting!

So I was weak , very weak , but I stuck to my guns . I told him no way , we needed more time apart to recovery before we could consider reconciling . He got mad again and started cursing , his counselor told him he was acting much like a child that couldnt get his way .

Am I being to hard on him considering his new diagnosis ? My first instinct is that Im not but then I start to second guess myself like I do every step of the way on this journey .

He did call a few hours after I left and told me that he didnt agree but he understood and he was determined to prove himself to me and the kids that he is going to work the program and the steps and he was looking forward to it .
Im just hope he continues to feel that way .

Should I be happy and Im just so screwed up that I dont even know it ? I dont feel happy at all , just very uneasy and unsure

Hi LGLG07, I was dual diagnosed, ADD, Depression and alcoholism. The important

thing that I learned was that they all needed to be treated at the same time.....

Heres a link about ptsd,
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pos...246/DSECTION=2

Best wishes, stay strong, hope3
Old 04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

oh god you went thru school with undiagnosed ADD???See now they address it--thats what I mean by keeping an open mind--years ago they didn't know what they know now about learning behaviors-childhood illnesses--its all about progress--and we should never stand in its way.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hi lg

my ah was diagnosed with prolonged PTSD-from having bio alcoholic parents, then being tossed in four different foster homes and finally from being severly abused by the people that adopted him.
basically, he has not really matured past the point where he was abused. it is like they are stuck in that time period. there are triggers that cause them to relive the trauma and to act out in a variety of ways-anger being one of them, or acting like a child.
if you do a search you will find a lot of good info on it. for me, just the understanding of his reactions to things has really helped.