OT--healthy cooking

Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT--healthy cooking

I know this is the best place for my emotional recovery, but I need to get back to taking care of myself physically, too. I'm starting with revamping my diet and walking more often. Nothing drastic, just back to eating more of the right things, especially planning and prepping so I don't get caught up in being too tired to fix anything healthy.

One of my birthday gifts was a George Foreman grill and I just used it tonight! I love it! Sometimes it's hard for me to cook healthy for one, so any tips would be greatly appreciated! I have chicken and tons of veggies cut up and ready to grill throughout the week.

What are your favorite quick and healthy dishes?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ICU

Good for you for taking the next step in doing what's best for you. Eating right is something so many people neglect, especially under high periods of stress. I've noticed that during this 3 week+ funk I've been in, I've been eating so much junk food.... it's making my frame of mind, and of course my physical health worse.

I don't have any particular recipes to offer, but I like to grill or bake chicken, london broil etc. I like to coat it with extra virgin olive oil and add some spices to it. I used to eat salmon, but I've gotten SEVERELY ill a couple of times, so I'm a little gun shy. I don't particularly care for praying to the 'porcelain goddess' for hours on end if you know what I mean, LOL!!!

Thank God the warmer weather is here as it inspires me to eat more salads. When I take the time, my salad is a meal in itself....leafy green or romaine lettuce (or spinach before the scare last year), juicy tomatoes, lightly steamed green beans, onion, chick peas, mushrooms, grilled chicken or london broil strips and home made blue cheese dressing. YUM!

One of the most important things I do (when I'm in a healthy frame of mind, that is) is to drink loads of water everyday. I usually mix it with crystal light. As long as it has no caffeine, adding flavor of some sort to the water is fine....oh, little to no sugar either.

Breakfasts are either oatmeal with skim milk and fruit, or just a bowl of various types of fruit...my favorite is raspberries and pineapple! I'm not much of an apple or orange girl, but when little else is available, they'll have to do.

For snacks, I like to buy Kashi (or something similar) cookies/snacks....much, much lower in sugar, sometimes lower in fats!

So, there it is....grilled lean meats, lots of veggies, fruits, and WATER, WATER, WATER!!!! Keep it simple aztchr....it doesn't have to be a time consuming or complicated venture to eat healthy!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I eat pretty much whatever I want - just small portions. I'm a huge pasta fan, fish, beef, lamb, veggies, rice - you name it LOL! Yeah, I eat sugar, too.

Friends just gave me a slow cooker (I still call it a crock pot LOL) and I have been making soups in that and freezing them. I'm a soup freak. Probably because I get to eat crunchy bread with it.

Good luck, aztchr - I believe your emotional journey will aid you in this journey, too.

Bon appetit!