4/19 Journey To The Heart

Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
4/19 Journey To The Heart

You are reading from the book Journey To The Heart, by Melody Beattie.

Release Old Emotions

Our emotions and experiences sometimes lead us out of the present moment. Something happens- someone says something, we hear something- and a feeling crops up. Often, underneath it is an old feeling, a feeling from the past, an old chunk of energy that's hidden in our soul, stored in our body.

We aren't off track when that happens. We're right where we need to be: off center and out of the present moment. We can use moments like these to heal ourselves.

Let yourself feel the feeling. Let yourself release the energy. Talk it out. Jog it out. Do what your heart leads you to do to release that bubble of emotion from your soul. Take as much time as you need- an hour, a day, a month.

When it's gone you'll find a new surprise. You've advanced on your path. You've learned something new. A new cycle has begun. An issue arose that provided an opportunity for healing and growth, and that healing and growth turned into a pleasant and welcome surprise.

Yes, sometimes experiences lead us out of the present moment. But if we stay present for ourselves, we'll always come back. Changed. Lighter. Healed. And more ready to love.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

astro....i love you, darlin!!!! i needed to read this so badly today. thank you.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm struggling so badly with living in the present moment, knowing that I'm where I should be. Instead I'm allowing myself to be sucked back into old feelings by a phone call or a memory.

The concept of taking my time and waiting for the answer has become foreign to me again too. I know God gives me what I need, so I'm shaking my fist at him again for not giving me a clear answer.

Faith and trust always feel good, and I definitely feel off center, but I'm trying to stay present, knowing that I will eventually heal and grow.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Astro....

Why dont you talk with your friends here on the form about your struggles.... perhaps someone here can help you walk through it.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes please share---sometimes it helps to let it all out
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My dearest friend loaned me her copy of Mars & Venus Starting Over (and now I'll hand in my Man Card) and after reading the first 50 pages or so I'm realizing how much healing and detaching I still need to do from past relationships.

Crud, it's like one step forward and two steps back. I can say with (almost) certainty though that it's getting a little easier with each passing day. Now if I can only get a decent night's sleep! Lol
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

celestial seasonings sleepy time tea and "over the counter----in the vitamin and mineral section"....melantonin.

worked wonders for me.

sweet, sweet, sweet sleep.

and you don't have to turn in your man card to buy tea, ok?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ahhh, I drink chai and green tea every day. I think the problem might've been the 24oz cappucino I was drinking at my daughters softball game. Doh!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

psssssttt.....hey astro.....(it's ok to take a bubble bath, too while you are drinking your tea....and light a candle, too...we won't tell)

i love the chai tea.....love it beyond reason....
Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's going a little overboard Jeri, but I will confess to burning incense in my bedroom;-)
Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

back to your post, astro......my sponsor told me up front when i first approached her about taking me on...."understand this...you will never graduate from recovery"

i understand the feeling of always feeling we are re-inventing ourselves...but thank god, don't you feel that the worst is behind you? from here on out, it's just all about self discovery?

(ha ha ha.....i sure feel better since yesterday) yesterday, i was ready to just eat dirt and worms.....and now i'm excited about the journey again.

are you still struggling with feelings about the realtionship that you were interested in pursuing, but the bar did not get raised?

if you don't want to discuss....that's ok. i just get this feeling of a bit of a struggle today.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by embraced2000 View Post
are you still struggling with feelings about the realtionship that you were interested in pursuing, but the bar did not get raised?

if you don't want to discuss....that's ok. i just get this feeling of a bit of a struggle today.
I love recovery, and would never want to graduate from this awesome journey of discovery.

I'm struggling with it all, the one I was interested in pursuing, a new relationship with a beautiful person, but I can't break it down into pieces and figure out how to let go and move on. Someone suggested that I might be trying too hard, so for the moment I'm trying to stay centered in a calm and peaceful place (yeah, right!) and having faith in a higher power to guide me.

Cripes, I hope that didn't sound like the "program answer".
Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hmmmmm....."trying too hard"??????.....hells bells. sometimes, i just dont' understand all the garbely-****.

if you still see this person, have contact with this person, share the same air as this person, it's like rubbing salt into the wound, eh? it would be for me, anyway.

it would be hard for me to witness the pursuit, so i would have to remove myself from the field of vision.

when i'm ready to offer my heart to some fortunate man (smile), and if he kindly tells me what a wonderful person i am, but.....

well, the but is all i'm gonna hear, and all he will see of me is arse and elbows running the other direction.

your heart is special.....i hope you will find someone who will share it with you and take very good care of your love, astro.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

to clarify here astro....i'm speaking in generalities. i don't know which situation you are speaking of, but for me, and for me only....i would have to avoid witnessing any situation that was uncomfortable for me.

i hope this makes sense.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by embraced2000 View Post
if you still see this person, have contact with this person, share the same air as this person, it's like rubbing salt into the wound, eh? it would be for me, anyway.

it would be hard for me to witness the pursuit, so i would have to remove myself from the field of vision.
Exactly, so I'm contemplating how or whether or not to detach. It's like the reading I started this post with:

"Our emotions and experiences sometimes lead us out of the present moment. Something happens- someone says something, we hear something- and a feeling crops up. Often, underneath it is an old feeling, a feeling from the past, an old chunk of energy that's hidden in our soul, stored in our body."

Im trying to accept the concept of detached involvement, observe but don't engage in this situation. Let's just say I suck at it so far.

It makes perfect sense, and thank you for the kind words.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

detaching and then having to observe....sounds like that would torture me.

i have to have it outta site. it would be like starving to death and having an all you can eat buffet right in front of you.....you can look, smell, and walk around the buffet....but no eating. yechhhhh!!!

that's one reason i'm grateful that my x is out of this county. it would be pure torture for me to see the man i love out and about town with his new woman. just couldn't work for me.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hard to do when she shows up at my AA meetings on occasion, calls me, sends a text, or our kids play together. But I like your buffet analogy!

A friend also likened it to putting me in a room for 24 hours with a bottle of my favorite alcohol. Look, but don't touch. Oh joy!