4/19 Language of Letting Go

Old 04-19-2007, 02:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4/19 Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Accepting Change

The winds of change blow through our life, sometimes gently, sometimes like a tropical storm. Yes, we have resting places - time to adjust to another level of living, time to get our balance, time to enjoy the rewards. We have time to catch our breath.

But change is inevitable, and desirable.

Sometimes, when the winds of change begin to rustle, we're not certain the change is for the better. We may call it stress or a temporary condition, certain we'll be restored to normal. Sometimes, we resist. We tuck our head down and buck the wind, hoping that things will quickly calm down, get back to the way things were. Is it possible we're being prepared for a new normal?

Change will sweep through our life, as needed, to take us where we're going. We can trust that our Higher Power has a plan in mind, even when we don't know where the changes are leading.

We can trust that the change-taking place is good. The wind will take us where we need to go.

Today, help me, God, to let go of my resistance to change. Help me be open to the process. Help me believe that the place I'll be dropped off will be better than the place where I was picked up. Help me surrender, trust, and accept, even if I don't understand.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of the hardest things to do.....

I love the way Mike put it on another thread, Im just going to have to share that here too.

There's a story i've heard in al-anon about a monkey and a candy. You build a small cage, with bars just barely big enough for a monkey to stick it's hand in. You chain the cage to a tree, and put a piece of candy inside the cage. A monkey comes by, slides it's hand in thru the bars of the little cage and grabs the candy in it's fist.

Problem is the monkey's fist is too big to slide back _out_ of the cage. The monkey will _not_ let go of the candy, and you can walk right up to the monkey and capture it. If the monkey would just let go of the candy it could slide it's hand out, but the monkey is so focused on the candy that it doesn't see the reality.

I was like the monkey. The addiction changed my marriage into a cage, and my own fantasy of what I wished the marriage to be became the candy I couldn't let go of. When al-anon and this forum helped open my mind to the reality of my marriage I was able to let go of the "candy". That was when I was able to let go and do what was best for my own sanity, and to stop enabling my ex-wife.
Acceptance for me today is opening my hand, letting go of the candy and trusting that God has the plan and its better then my plan.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boy did I ever need to read this one today!
Thanks Cynay!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
full of hope

Originally Posted by Cynay View Post
We can trust that the change-taking place is good. The wind will take us where we need to go.

Help me surrender, trust, and accept, even if I don't understand.
Originally Posted by Cynay View Post
Acceptance for me today is opening my hand, letting go of the candy and trusting that God has the plan and its better then my plan.
THIS IS ALL SO GOOD, CYNAY!

And I loved the monkey/candy story too!

THANKS!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

cynay....you and astro both gave me something i needed to read today....thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

funky monkey....that's what i've been past couple of weeks