SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Public Aid (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/120271-public-aid.html)

frustrated1 04-05-2007 10:21 AM

Public Aid

WOW! Yesterday we had a family session with my daughter and found out she is suppose to be discharged from her inpatient facility right into a halfway house on the grounds on Tuesday. We told her we will help her and suppport her as long as she is helping herself, we don't feel she is doing so and neither do her counselors. We feel she is only playing the game to get some charges reduced. She will be at the halfway house for atleast 3 to 6 months maybe more. I'm not sure she will be able to play the game that long. She was filled with so much anger towards us yesterday when we told her our boundries, mostly about money. She told us she found out while in there that she heard she could apply for public aid, does anyone know if this is true. She is in Illinois. She has no kids, just thinks she wants to be independent. I don't think that is being very independent. I am so angry, in the past when she has gotten clean, 2 times for about 6 months each time she has looked at things realistically. This time she is way out there, I guess that's why no one is believing her this time. It just makes me so angry that she thinks everyone should support her so she can live alone. Just need to vent. Thanks for listening!

parentrecovers 04-05-2007 10:37 AM

i'm in illinois, but i don't know the deal with public aid. let her try to apply? i wouldn't do it for her...

money boundaries are hard. i know.

sorry she is being so difficult, it sounds like she is struggling. extra prayers to her.

blessings, k

hope2bhappy 04-05-2007 01:38 PM

I believe she might be able to get food stamps for a period of time, but I'm not aware of any other public assistance she would qualify for. Food stamps will not pay her rent or buy her clothes. But on the other hand... they won't buy her booze or drugs either.

cmc 04-05-2007 06:39 PM

Alot of people choose to do 'their time' in exchange for reduced charges. It's easier to get a job without the limitations of charges and a criminal record.

My son did one court ordered stay and a couple afterwards that were purely voluntary. Hopefully she will learn something while there and at the worst she will be exposed to others practicing recovery.

embraced2000 04-05-2007 06:47 PM

when my xh went into a half-way house, he had to get a job and pay a weekly rate of 125.00 for his keep.

the house was very nice. it had a full kitchen with food. and many house rules. chore lists, nightly home meetings, daily aa meetings, a visiting nurse, a live in home manager, a human resource person who helped them get benefits and such.

Sunflower 04-05-2007 06:52 PM

well she was just pushing those buttons--and maybe if she is forsed into all this treatment it will work for her at some point--it does for a lot of people...
Here in Massachusetts an Alcoholic--Drug Addict--Mental Disability(depression-bt polar) is eligible for Social Security Disability or Social Security Income---of course this has to be well documented-by doctors etc...you have to have been out of work for 6 months and it is calculated by your past working income--if you have no past working income--they have a set anount--here it is a little over 600$ a month with no backround work history and up to1400 a month if you have a work history....It has become very hard to get-you have to go before a board etc..I only know this because I am a nurse and I know woman who is mentally disabled--she gets an apartment for 160 a month--free bus passes and food stamps and free health and dental care.

hope2bhappy 04-05-2007 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflower (Post 1278886)
Here in Massachusetts an Alcoholic--Drug Addict--Mental Disability(depression-bt polar) is eligible for Social Security Disability or Social Security Income---

Interesting. I think I've heard of this before regarding addicts. Since SSD/SSI is federal, then it would apply in all states. I agree that it is very hard to get for some people and takes ages. They usually turn down your application, then you have to apply for a review, a hearing... it goes on and on. We tried to get it for my daughter (bi-polar), but we gave up after about two years of appeals and a hearing.

I once worked with someone who had to take an early retirement because he had Parkinson's disease. He applied for Social Security Disability... and was denied. I wonder if he ever got it.

Sunflower 04-05-2007 08:20 PM

ok everyone is almost automatically denied disability on the first try
then they want hearings etc---very hard to go through---you MUST get a disability lawyer--they know the ropes and how to have the right paperwork--they do it all for you-and you get the back pay as well---they are only allowed to take a mandated fee from the backpay--so they don't take you unless they think they can win your case. If your daughter is bi polar and unable to work--she needs a lawyer--some bi polars cannot work.If your daughter truley needs this she should be getting it--thats why we all pay into social security...good luck..

hope2bhappy 04-05-2007 08:35 PM

We had a lawyer. How our story ended... she got married to a great guy and is now somebody else's problem :) This might sound a tad harsh, but let me tell you... my alcoholic NEVER put me through as much chaos, worry and heartache as my bi-polar did. I love her, and all... but good God... what she put me through.

hope2bhappy 04-05-2007 08:37 PM

Oh, yeah... she's had about 20 jobs in her 30 years. Been fired from everyone of them. She's been working now for about 3 months.

Sunflower 04-06-2007 07:39 AM

well my son is an alcoholic bi polar---imagine that one---thank god he is sober now==takes the new medicine that is out and is 100% himself again--