OT: More Pet Food Recalls to Come

Old 04-02-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

OT: More Pet Food Recalls to Come

Well, I thought I was in the clear on the first dog food recall. I didn't feed my dogs any of the recalled food. I generally give them a combination of Beneful Stew in tubs, Moist and Meaty in bags, Pedigree and cans, and Alpo Prime Cuts in cans.

So, yesterday when I stopped in the pet food aisle of the grocery store, I noticed that now Alpo Prime Cuts has been recalled, too. Since Alpo and Beneful Stew are both manufactured by Purina, I figured I'd stay from Beneful as well and limited my purchased to Pedigree in cans and Moist and Meaty.

Then on tonight's news, I see a report that more pet food recalls are expected in the next few days. Well, I purchased 28 cans of Pedigree yesterday morning, and threw away the remaining cans of Alpo I bought last week, but by last night I was too flippin' nervous to feed my dogs any off-the-shelf dog food.

So my four kids had roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans for dinner last night. Tonight's meal was lasagna. I have no idea what I'll feed them tomorrow. My plan is to just cook a larger amount of people food and feed them the same things we're eating for a while until the latest batch of recalls are announced.

Just wondered what others on this forum are feeding their pets at this point. One local vet was featured on the news this morning. He said he recommends that all pet owners have their pets tested for signs of renal failure. So, not only do I have increased costs associated with feeding my four large dogs people food, I have to foot the bill for four health exams. I estimate that this will set me back $250.00 per dog, or roughly $1,000.

I'm hoping after this debacle that the FDA will now oversee the handling of pet food. My dogs are like children to me. I'd be devastated if I lost one because of something that I fed it.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i had switched to pedigree and benefil, but now what????

i, too, have been buying large packages of chicken thighs on mondays when they are marked down, boiling them with carrots and green beans, deboning and feeding my rudy that. i also bought a huge bologna. bought a turkey breast and baked that. i mixed the meat with rice but i'm sure he needs more nutrition than that.

it is so scary.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First of all, its important to remain calm. Just because 1 vet on TV suggested that everybody run right out and immediately get all their cats and dogs tested for renal failure does not mean that it is nescessary to do so.

I would, however, consult MY own vet who knows my animals and ask that vet what to look for, as well as google the issue and do my own research so I had more factual information.

While at it, I would ask my vet what are the possible pitfalls to suddenly feeding my animals a diet of 100% people food after having previously being 0% people food. Could that cause digestive problems too? What if any are your other options?

I personally use Canidae dog food and Felidae cat food and have been unworried because they are not on any recall lists. I also, as a rule, give all 4 of mine about 30% homemade meals which include flax meal, apples, carrots, cottage cheese, broccoli, (we are vegetarians and luckily, my dogs and cats love fruits and veggies!!) cooked grains, hard bolied eggs, etc.

If I were a meat eater I'd probably add some red meat, but, on occasion when I eat fresh fish, I always add the skins and some (boned) fish for the cats.

I look forward to reading what others are doing.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, it's not just pet food that will be in the next batch of recalls, but pet treats, too. I just heard a trailer that says that a type of beef jerky treat will be recalled soon, too.

I give my pups Beggin Strips, Pupperoni, and CarryOuts. Hope they're not on the recall list.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My dogs get dry food only so I haven't been following the recalls too closely. I guess I'd better start keeping track incase any of the dry foods show up!

You know so many people say to not let the dog refuse to eat a particular brand of food, make them eat what you give them because they won't starve rather than not eat something. Well once I had a dog that flat out refused to eat from a new bag of food even though it was the same brand he'd had for a while. the other dog would eat it if it were mixed with something else, but the bullmastiff would not touch it at all - he'd pick around it if I mixed it with something. After a few days of that I gave up and threw it out and bought something else. Found out a few weeks later that that brand of all-natural dog food was recalled due to microbial contamination - and I was expecting my dogs to eat it!!! I have never since insisted my dogs eat something they don't want to eat.

I know people who feed their dogs raw meat, especially chicken, but I'd be afraid to feed them raw meat from the US slaughterhouse industry. Too many bugs.

Dogs like rice and veggies and yogurt and cheese and eggs, those aren't too expensive, and then some meat too. They love organ meats which are usually cheap because people dont' like them.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There has been one recall of dry food so far: Iams healthy weight formula. Also joining the recall is MD (a canned food prescribed by vets for pets with sensitive stomaches).

I'm generally not prone to panic. But with more recalls to come, it sure would be nice to know which foods are in danger of being recalled, so we can avoid them until we hear they're safe for consumption.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I keep worrying when I give my kitties Iams dry food, but they don't like anything else so I don't have a substitute. They don't really like people food. They like Iams. I think it's because it's stinky and cats are weird like that
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the only thing we can do at the moment is to check the recall list daily. You can also go directly to the food manufacturer's website (Purina, Iams, etc.) and check for recalls there as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my dog has never had human food until this....he has had mighty dog all his 12 years. i would never allow him to eat our food because of the vet telling me it would all years to his life if i just fed him a good dog food.

well, right before the recall, he wouldn't touch his mighty dog. i noticed it was different too.....i used to have to spoon it out of the can.....but suddenly, it was just plopping out of the can and the little bit of gel that was usually around it, was just like water.

he refused to eat. so i bought some more. same thing. he finally ate lunch meat. and he is eating the pedigree canned food now.

i know this may be so off base, but one of the first things i thought of was some sort of terrorism on our pets!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Actually it's one of the realities of a global economy. Yeah, that gluten meal from China is cheap. It's cheap for a reason.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I belong to a few dog clubs and volunteer at the local shelter on ocassion---the word is--baby food stage 2 --until this whole mess is figured out---My Lotte loves it....plus there is always the old standard of putting chiken in a pot with rice and veggie---boiling it all together--than grinding it up to mush in a blender/food processor--they love it and it doesnt take long to do--you can add some flaxseed oil if your dog is older--some chicken livers....I am not giving my Lotte any dog food right now/wet or dry/Not until they figure all this out...
Attached Images
File Type: gif
mime_attachment(5).gif (50.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-03-2007, 02:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ICU

I've been home cooking for my dogs for the past 8 months. Here's what I do...

I 'bake' chicken breasts, thighs, london broil with a little extra virgin olive oil. Then I grind it up in my food processor.

I 'steam' (to preserve as many nutrients as possible) butternut squash, carrots, whole green beans, wax beans and put that in the food processor as well and into separate containers.

I used to make brown rice, but my one dog doesn't do well with that, and it makes my other dog a little constipated. Sometimes I give them sweet potato, but not too often.

If they do get constipated, I always have canned plain pumpkin on hand...a teaspooon 2 time a week keeps things moving nicely. I freeze the rest in ice cube trays.

At meal time, they get a combo of chicken and beef, and one of the veggies. I use 2 supplements from a company called Solid Gold....Vitamins and mineral supplement, and something called Seameal.

For treats, I give them small, raw baby carrots, plain, non-fat yogurt and sometimes a little bit of apple.

Hint...never, ever give cats or dogs onions of any kind whether cooked or raw, grapes, raisins, or chocolate. Very, very bad for them...it could kill them.

Since my dogs have been on this diet, they have gotten back down to a desireable weight, my one dog's problem with colitus-like symptoms (never could get a conclusive diagnosis) have not reappeared, their fur is beautiful, and their poop is smaller, and less, shall we say, 'fragrant'. Thank God I had them on this way of eating for awhile now.

Now my cats are a different story. I'm still investigating home cooking for them. Cooking kills 'taurine' something found in raw meat that cats really need. My first step will be to go to the vitamin shoppe and buy that supplement.

I strongly urge you to investigate home cooking, discuss it with your vet (hopefully one that's enlightened about nutrition) for your pet's specific needs. My vet has been very pleased with the progress my dogs have made.

Just my two cents here....many, many vets promote and sell various types of pet food. They make money on it, so of course they're going to push you to buy it! Many vets poo-hoo home feeding. But ask them this....what did dogs and cats eat 'prior' to pet food being manufactured? Yup! They ate people food folks! Yes, they did!!! Now, sure, you have to be careful what to and what not to feed them and it has to be a balanced diet based on their needs, not human needs! All I'm saying is that many vets, like human doctors, don't really pay all that much attention to nutrition or quality of food. Many vets like to push products because they make a profit, or, because their lack of training, just like some doctors think a 'pill' will be the cure all. Mask the symptoms vs. getting to the route of the problem by a healthy change in diet.

If you want to be grossed out (but informed)....google what 'really' goes into 'many if not most' pet foods (the recent contaminants are NOT the only issue, for sure). Several years back, I read an article (I'll try to find it in my archives) that stated, road-kill, and euthanized pets (with flea collars still attached), chicken 'rejected' for human consumption, etc. are some of the ingredients for 'many' pet food manufacturers. And we wonder why are dogs and cats are getting so sick and so many illnesses that years ago were unheard of for them. Whew...ok, I'm off my soap-box now!

I feel so bad for everyone's pets that got ill, or worse from eating all the contaminated food out there. I hope all of your's are ok. Maybe this pet food recall will be a wake up call for everyone....pet owners, vets, pet food manufacturerers, and hopefully it will serve as a catalyst to change for the better.

Added: this wasn't the article I referred to above, but, it's similar....
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

Last edited by ICU; 04-03-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My precious Toby almost died from eating Iams Salmon and Tuna with sausce in the pouch. And yes, the numbers matched exactly to the recall...and I had purchased 10 cases of this poison and was down to about 5 pouches when the recall happened. At least it explained WHY my cat had become so terribly sick.

The moment I switch to a safe food, he began to do better and he has seen his vet and is scheduled for a followup visit April 17th.

I too am afraid. Every time I change foods, they add more to the recall and like most of you I am now cooking turkeys and adding rice to keep him fed. I also have switched to a Science Diet hard food that is safe and mix it with his softer food (he's 16 and prefers softer food).

I have joined a class action lawsuit in Canada and will donate every cent I receive to the local Humane Society. I just feel that they should have to pay for this and that the more they pay, the less likely it will ever happen again.

This site is for MenuFoods (the manufacturer) and is not updated as quickly as it should be but includes most of the foods that have been recalled.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html

My heart goes out to each one of you who has a cat or dog affected by the poison food. I know how angry I was, when I found out why my cat was so sick and had an insatiable thirst.

Hugs
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ground meat and rice mixed together. they wolf it down!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

This is such a mess. I have been feeding Science diet Dry Adult (or reduced calorie) hairball control to my cats.
I can drive to Poughkeepsie and buy ABADY foods.. they make their own forumula and the local dog breeders all use it. It is a small company and the food is way expensive. It is better for dogs than cats IMO but they don't use wheat in it at all and certainly not wheat from China.

Right now it has to be better than the poisin food...

So far my cats have been healthy and I don't believe I am using a brand on the recall.
The problem is that Menu Foods formulates and blends and produces foods for a number of companies. When you use one ingredient in all your formulas and that one ingredient is contaminated, you contaminate a LOT of brands and a lot of formulas.

Raw Diets work. I used to feed my dogs a mix of horsement and beef that I got from another local source that has since gone out of buinsess. Using horsemeat use may offend some people here.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Interestingly the oldest dog I ever knew, a golden retriever/lab mix that lived to be 20-years-old, mostly ate leftovers including a lot of deli meat ...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Here is a link. I have spoken to the owner at length. He was an animal food and diet researcher and out of that created this company.

http://therobertabadydogfoodcoltd.com/index.html
Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

Before I forget, I stayed home sick today and was watching the news a few hours ago, the lady they were interviewing said that with all the recalls it is hard to be sure what is contaminated. She said to read labels and stay away from anything with wheat gluten in it. Scary.
Mine eat Iams but not the weight control. I'm not sure what to do. They have had this bad for a while so hopefully it is ok. They don't seem sick. My little one can't change brands, it hurts his tummy. The vet also told me that changing brands isn't good for many dogs. If you do, you should mix a little of it with the old brand to help transition.
My mom's vet told her that people food isn't good for animals at all. He said of course they love it but it shortens thier life. But i have a hard time believing fruit, veggies and plain cooked meat could be bad. Especially with all the crap they have in thier manufactured food, contaminated or not. Mom's dog is older and gets sick alot. Her vet told her when he is sick to make him white rice and mix some meat flavored baby food with it. He doesn't throw that up. That might be an option for sensitive tummies out there. Now I have to go and read what is above here because I was afraid if I didn't share what I learned this morning I would forget.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

ICU- thank you for all your info. I think I may start looking into home feeding now. Maybe, poor things, I'm not a good cook. But I read about 3 paragraphs of that link and now I don't feel good again. That is disgusting. I know how I feel when I eat crap like Mcdonald's, do my critters feel that way from the food they eat??
Old 04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

bjen, i also feed my pup iams, but for the toy breeds. he's been on the same bag for quite some time, so i doubt his is effected.

this is from the iams website:

We can reassure you:

First, there is no melamine or aminopterin in any of our Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods on store shelves.

In fact, Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods to DO NOT contain wheat gluten. Our dry dog and cat foods are made exclusively by P&G Pet Care and not by Menu Foods.

Pet owners can feel safe and confident in feeding all Iams and Eukanuba dry foods, as well as any wet foods that are not on the Menu Foods recall list. Click here to see the specific list of recalled wet pouch and canned products.

however, that was updated on 3/30/07 so there might be a change in that memo... although it reassures me somewhat. my dog is tiny so my vet has always recommended not feeding him people food, but my golden retriever ate everything my family ate and he lived a very long, healthy life!