Slightly OT: selling wedding rings

Old 03-31-2007, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slightly OT: selling wedding rings

The divorce is final, and I need money. But I've never done this kind of thing before - my jewelry tends to be the crafts fair type, but my weddiing set is nice fine jewelry. How do I go about getting a decent price? I realize it's mainly the scrap value of the gold and the stones and that gold prices fluctuate quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ok I am into gemsstones
I collect them and jewelry
If you go to a pawn shop most likely you will not get whats its worth.So unless you know someone who knows somebody who deals in jewelry I suggest you try selling it on e-bay
Gold right now is at it's highest in a long long time
I don't know if you have any diamonds or gems in....the size and clarity of the diamond will increase its value,,,,,,
Now would be a good time to sell---google the cost of gold per gram and you will have an answer
Old 04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would not know how to even begin to describe them properly - carat, weight, stone quality ( small channel set diamonds and sapphires). I was thinking of taking them to a jewelry store? it would be easy but at reduced value I know.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a big ebayer and have a suggestion for you. Go on ebay and do a search for the type of rings you have. Click on the closed listings and check the prices that they sold for. That might be a place to start.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

How about using the gold and the stones and designing a NEW RING something to commeorate your new Life.

There are probably some jewelers in your area that still make original jewelry and would be willing to make a new ring for you.

Just a thought.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was going to suggest what Laurie did. I took my rings to a jeweler and had a NEW ring created. It was a celebration ring ~ of my new life and hope and future. Since I had the stones and the gold, i only paid a little for the labor and about $21 per "head" to hold each stone.

Just a thought....
Old 04-01-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was thinking of doing the same thing so a friend told me about 1-800-gold-kit.
You call the phone # and an automated voicemail box takes your name and address and sends you the info to send in your jewlery. I think I am going to try it with my broken pieces and see what I get before I do anything with the wedding ring. They send you a check in the mail and if you dont like what they have given you then you return the check and get your stuff back.

I have not tried this yet but it may be something to try. It wouldnt hurt to go to a jewlery store too...and see what they say. You dont have to sell it to them...just get an estimate.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didnt want to hold on to my rings at all--even if they changed the setting etc...but that is just me---and like you I needed the money...
If it has diamonds and sapphires in it I would pay to have it appraised....if you can't go into a jewelry store and tell the sales person you are thinking of having this ring set differently--what would they suggest and then casually slip in how much do they think its worth...most will tell you..