SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   My Birthday Trip and the long arms of alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/119501-my-birthday-trip-long-arms-alcoholism.html)

denny57 03-27-2007 05:21 PM

My Birthday Trip and the long arms of alcoholism

For the last 2 months I have been very excited - planning a 3 week trip to Europe for my birthday. I'll be visiting Amsterdam, Paris and Cannes. A total spa day for my birthday in the Netherlands, seeing some friends, hooking up with my sister for part of it.

I leave tomorrow.

Today, in response to a request to set a depo date, we got a letter from AH's attorney that AH is in the hospital with emergency surgery (admitted over the weekend). He has to have additional "procedures" done and and they don't know how long he will be in there, when these other procedures will be, etc. and they are unable to schedule anything.

I'm turning it over, hoping all will go well for both of us. I will pray that he will be fine and that I will be, too.

Life is full of challenges.

All my best to those who suffer on both sides of this stupid disease.

Sunflower 03-27-2007 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You GO and have a wonderful time on your Birthday--you deserve it and don't let anything ruin it for you!Hand it over---these A's are very strong-seems they survive everything...

socalgal 03-27-2007 05:34 PM

Take care, Denny. I will miss seeing your posts. Happy Birthday, early. I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing trip.

I will say a prayer or your husband.

Your reponse to this latest "situation" shows you to be a gracious woman.

Bon Voyage!
But, come back, ok?

-K

chero 03-27-2007 06:19 PM

3 weeks without your wisdom!?? Well, bring us back some European wit! Have a super, great time!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Much love, Cheryl

newenglandgirl 03-27-2007 06:25 PM

Have a great time Denny!
I'm so jealous!:)

elizabeth1979 03-27-2007 06:43 PM

Oh you go girl!
What a wonderful way to celebrate yourself!! Hope you treat yoursefl to wonderful things throughout the trip.

Its always so interesting when the word 'procedure' is used in the medical world..such a sterile non-emotion invoking word. Prayers for all involved.

Cheers to you!

LaTeeDa 03-27-2007 06:48 PM

Have a great trip (I know you will ;)) and remember that whatever happens, it was meant to be......

L

cmc 03-27-2007 07:10 PM

Happy Birthday and Bon Voyage!!!

I hope you have a wonderful time and you will be missed here.

cmc

FormerDoormat 03-27-2007 07:15 PM

What a lovely present to give yourself. Have a wonderful time with no worries. Leave the prayers to us. I'll be happy to "turn up the heat on the Lord" once again. Hurry back. This place won't be the same without you.

hope2bhappy 03-27-2007 07:32 PM

This sounds fabulous! We really will miss you! Have a wonderful birthday and trip. And stay out of those coffee shops in Amsterdam... I know what goes on in there.

StandingStrong 03-27-2007 07:45 PM

I hope that you enjoy your trip. I really believe that you going on your trip is the best thing to do.

aztchr 03-27-2007 11:03 PM

Just got back in town...hope I'm not too late to wish you a wonderful and safe trip!!! Will look forward to your return!

Happy Birthday!!!

Zoey 03-27-2007 11:13 PM

Just caring hugs denny, Sorry your trip and Birthday will have a cloud.
I will be thinking of you both and wanting the best for both of you. LV YA You will be missed if you can't or don't check in.

ICU 03-28-2007 12:49 AM

Alright Denny! What a fabulous trip you have planned. Good for you.

I hope he'll be ok too; will keep him in my prayers.

Have a blast on your trip, and be safe! Can't wait to hear all about it upon your return.

free2be 03-28-2007 04:04 AM

Denny... Have a wonderful time, Happy Birthday.

He will be o.k... Whats to be will be.

XOXO

loveRoy 03-28-2007 07:08 AM

What fun. I too love spending time with my sister. Have a blast. Post when you return.

Lexi6 03-28-2007 07:37 AM

Happy Birthday!

Originally Posted by Sunflower (Post 1266548)
You GO and have a wonderful time on your Birthday--you deserve it and don't let anything ruin it for you!Hand it over---these A's are very strong-seems they survive everything...

I must say Sunflower could not have said it any better than this! Enjoy and breathe every bit of that fresh air-and enjoy that wonderful day of your Birth! Celebrate YOU!

Be safe!

Astro 03-28-2007 08:01 AM

Denny, hope you have a wonderful trip. God knows it's well deserved.

In regards to your AH, remember the 3 C's, and know that he's being prayed for and watched over.

denny57 03-28-2007 08:08 AM

Thanks, everyone. I'm planning on having a great time!

In one of those god shots we talk about in Al-Anon, I got the email while I was waiting to go in for my therapy session. So I got to talk it out immediately. Something we talked about was validation. Not an "I told you so" validation, but more about my feelings and thought processes being confirmed.

To everyone who goes back and forth on whether the A is really sick, or really an alcoholic - especially when he or she is telling you that you are crazy; and when everyone around the A may be telling you that you are overreacting or exaggerating - I hope you'll trust yourself to know your truth. I spent many years in denial and much time after the fog had lifted doubting myself. For many months I was on auto-pilot. Be good to yourself.

hopeangel 03-28-2007 08:44 AM

Denny

you are absolutely going to LOVE IT!!! i've been there and it is amazing!!!!