My 10 year olds DARE Graduation

Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 10 year olds DARE Graduation

My 10 year old daughter had Drug Abuse Resistance Education Graduation last night.
There's 4 classes of 5th grade and they chose 1 girl & 1 boy from each class to read their essays they had written about DARE, what it means to them and what they learned about alcohol, drugs, & tobacco use.
My daughter was chosen to read her essay in front of the whole grade and all the parents too. I'm so proud of her.
Of course before we left, she had asked her dad to come. He said he didn't have a way to get there since he lost his license. She volunteered me to take him - he told her, NO. (not because he didn't want me to take him - but because he didn't want to go). When I got home she just cried when she told me.
I told her she could not control her dad, she could want him to come all wanted, but in the end - he makes the decisions about his life and there's nothing we can do about it. I tried not to dwell on it because I didn't want her nervous about her speech - she's never talked in front of that many people before. And in the speech she talks about 'someone she knows' who had seizures, and a broken neck from a car accident all from alcohol. And how it can lead to death. I was real nervous that she might start crying or say 'my dad' and not be able to make it thru the essay.
She did wonderful!
One of the DARE officers, that taught the class was the same officer that came to our house back in October when AH called the cops and said I wasn't taking care of the kids, feeding them and that the house was a mess. I wonder if he remembered her?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a very special daughter you have.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you must have been so proud of her!!!!That DARE program is the best--here in my town they did away with it because of money--big mistake as far as I am concerned
Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brings a tear to my eye. A very special honor for a very special young lady. I am truly humbled by her strength.