SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   is profuse SWEATING a symptom? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/118974-profuse-sweating-symptom.html)

aGrandma 03-21-2007 06:47 PM

is profuse SWEATING a symptom?

My AH has been sweating very badly every day and to him it is extremely embarrassing. (To me I hardly ever notice it. Maybe it happens to him more during the day when he's at work.) Anyway he thinks it's due to his alcohol abuse. Is that a symptom?
If it is, how long does it take before they stop sweating? (Days?)
I'd hate for him to quit drinking and continue to sweat! Maybe it's something else? Fpr him, the sweating is his #1 reason to quit drinking. (honestly!)

anewday2day 03-21-2007 06:49 PM

i sweat alot.. after drinking...it comes outta your pores.. (the alcohol)

denny57 03-21-2007 06:55 PM

It's usually associated with withdrawal. If it happens more at work (where he isn't drinking) it could be that.

aGrandma 03-21-2007 06:58 PM

Interesting!! So - it's a withdrawal symptom, and it is also a side-effect of drinking too? (sweating the alcohol out your pores?) So...does that mean it will stop a day or so after quitting drinking? (He's never quit for a day!)

denny57 03-21-2007 07:00 PM

I just came back to add - AH started to have that in the last 4 or 5 years. Really made him angry. Didn't stop the drinking, though. I never heard of it as a side-effect. Just as the alcohol leaves the body, the sweat happens because it craves more.

((()))

aztchr 03-21-2007 07:47 PM

My ex experienced this, too. He would say it was because he lived in AZ and worked in construction all day. He always had an answer for everything, but didn't stop the drinking either.

newenglandgirl 03-21-2007 07:54 PM

Mine starting sweating a lot too in the last year. Mostly on his top lip. People started asking what was up. I always wondered what it was. Figured it had to do with the drinking.

chero 03-21-2007 07:59 PM

Like you guys said, my AH sweats after drinking. Of course, any symptoms he may have and asks me about I tell him are a result of drinking! :)
He could have an ache in his toe and I'd say it was from drinking! He has been having an ache in his eye that HE thinks is from drinking and I keep saying, "I bet it is! You better quit before it gets worse!"

I crack myself up!

Over_It 03-21-2007 08:05 PM

OMG - Chero, that is so funny! My AH does that too - always talks about how he's nauseous, has a headache, is so tired all the time and doesn't know why. DUUUUUHHHH!!!! I tell him it's probably a hangover and he just disagrees.... and then we do it all over again in a day or so.

Amazing how every symptom in the world is probably a result of the drinking!

Mine only did the sweating when he was going through withdrawals. I suspect he was only a breath away from advanced stages.

I'm still laughing about the ache in his eye...not that I want him to have an ache, but the part about "you'd better quit before it gets worse!"

chero 03-21-2007 08:07 PM

Whatever works, huh?? :)

Funny thing is I never feel guilty about it!

Janitw 03-21-2007 08:30 PM

well my ex used to sweat all the time but he too was in construction work...but for him it was worse at bed time....the kids told me after he left us that my room didnt smell like alcohol anymore.....

hope2bhappy 03-21-2007 08:33 PM

Chero and Over_it... I can totally relate to what you are saying.

Anyway... my AH would always sweat as he was sobering up or if he needed a drink. Then, again, whenever he would try to quit drinking on his own. I don't know if he did this when he went through medical detox, though. I don't know about any of you... but this was more prevalent in the later years of his addicition... I'd say about the last 3 (of a 30 year addiction).

GlassPrisoner 03-21-2007 10:42 PM

It's a withdraw symptom. It would always start with me about 4-6 hours after my last drink. Then the shakes, then all hell would break loose.

If I was fortunate to fall asleep (or pass out), they (the sweats) would wake me about 4:30 AM. My last set of linens was stained yellow.

Dolorosa 03-22-2007 05:30 AM

My XAH sweated profusely too, especially in the morning. He told me it was from the Effexor he was taking. Yeah, right.

Pick-a-name 03-22-2007 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by aGrandma (Post 1257864)
Fpr him, the sweating is his #1 reason to quit drinking. (honestly!)

Hey....whatever works!!!!! If that's what it takes for him...GREAT!

My exAH was a nightly drinker (every evening after work until he went to bed) and started getting bad sweats during the night. EWWWW.stinky! I assumed it was withdrawl,too.

Pick-a-name 03-22-2007 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner (Post 1258183)
It's a withdraw symptom. It would always start with me about 4-6 hours after my last drink. Then the shakes, then all hell would break loose.

If I was fortunate to fall asleep (or pass out), they (the sweats) would wake me about 4:30 AM. My last set of linens was stained yellow.

YUP.....sounds familiar. Started happening about a year before my exAH decided to get his "own place"......possibly explains part of the timing! Also, I had stopped sleeping in the same bed,too. Other sleep disturbances besides the sweating....bad dreams,yelling,kicking,etc on top of the sweating,snoring,smell and "equipment failure"..... and a child with heart problems...I needed to at least get some rest.

Hanginon 03-22-2007 07:24 AM

I can't stand the sweat from AH. He finally comes to bed and by morning his side of the bed is soaked with that smelly alcohol sweat. I can't stand it. I have spent more nights on the couch rather than lie there in the reaking of it.

chero 03-22-2007 04:44 PM

Well, ya'll, I was thinking about the sweat today...and it could be worse...it could be urine!???

chero 03-22-2007 04:44 PM

I feel sooo bad that I just said that...hope I didn't offend anyone!???

JessicaNAJ 03-22-2007 05:31 PM

I sweat. (especially my armpits yuck!). And really bad in the summer, when I'm working in the yard. Moreso than most people...I'm talking buckets. But I blame it on the Mt. Dew I drink. See, I don't want to admit I'm slightly overweight, so I blame it on the pop. Why not? I should drink more water ;)

ps......don't tell anyone

G didn't sweat too much....but he did drink a lot of water.