An open mind.....

Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An open mind.....

I think that I've always been a fairly objective person which has led me to be able to see both sides of most stories. I think I've always been fairly open minded to accept people as they are. Or maybe, I've always felt that way because XAH was so close - minded, who knows?

Anyways...

As some of you know, I've been going through a growing process the last few weeks - and it's been really eye opening in many ways.

I had read once that sometimes our belief system needs to change. That perhaps our belief system just isn't working for us anymore, especially as we were taught and/or told the things that made up our belief system. (I read this on a non-alcohol-related website) But that has always stuck in my mind.

Recently I attended a church. It was the most different church that I'd ever been too. And at first, I felt odd about it. It wasn't like a stereotypical church, therefore I really wasn't sure what to think. But you know, the minister really got my attention. So I went back. And again, he caught my attention and I realized today while I was there that I really think I like this church!!!!! Wow! It just amazes me how when I really decided to make an effort to give it a chance, there seems to be quite a few things about it that I really like, and it got me to realizing that apparently I've not been as open minded as I thought or as much as I'd like to be.

There have been many things lately that I realize that my ideas have been skewered about. Things that I've looked at with my blinders on - things that I've avoided seeing that were there to notice. It's taking some real sessions with myself to realize that the person I was really is leaving and is being replaced with someone that I dont tend to recognize but tend to like a little! (LOL< that sounds funny) but I really don't know how else to explain it.

I'm really going to try to approach everything with an open mind from now on. I may just be pleasantly surprised with what I find - and to think, a church that I wasn't too sure about one week ago is now one that I look forward to going to next Sunday! It just amazes me how my life, my feelings, etc are all changing and I feel so peaceful about so many things. Maybe that was what I was missing - an open mind.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

I'm so happy for you, and especially because you have found it for yourself and this new time in your life really belongs to you... if that makes sense, but I mean to say that by you seeking and being open what you need has appeared. It's a wonderful gift from God to find such a place.
I hope this will be the church 'family' that you need and I know that they are blessed as well, to have you take part with them!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have always found any religious ceremony comforting--being around spiritual people is a good place to be.It may also cause you to help heal yourself,,I am very happy for you.
My own spiritual search has taken me from my backround of being brought up a catholic--going to pentacostal chuches-evangelical--even as far away removed as Buddhism---Now I realize-they all have something to offer us if we remain open minded....to me the bottom line is that after a lifetime search my God is like an old friend--and that LOVE is all that really matters---everyone wants to be loved and know they are not alone......that to me is the message
Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The churches that I have attended have always been stiff, very formal, and I felt uncomfortable, not accepted, etc. Perhaps it was the cliches that had formed, those that do the whole "Who dresses the best and has the most" type of contest, etc. but this one....it's just amazing in the aspect of many things. There is no dress code (people just wear what they want), everyone is accepted, there is no collection plate passed (envelope in a pamphlet you recieve at the door and you drop it off anonymously at the door when you exit so no pressure or nosey neighbor to see what you are donating), the music isn't your typical hymns and it's amazing! and the minister isn't even stiff or preachy. He's dressed casually and it's like he's just standing up there talking - not preaching at you (I've been to many churches where you feel you are being preached at and condemned).

It's just so refreshing in so many ways.
And I agree that it's like I was led there. The first morning I attended, I'd awoken early (like 4:30 am) and it was just nagging at me - I felt compelled to go to church! My father recommended this one.
Ironically enough - the series they are doing right now is on marriage. At first, I thought "Great!" sarcastically, but you know, I've really gotten a lot out of the sermons! And each seem to just go along with my healing process even though I divorced my XAH.

As you may recall, I really went through a rough phase as the truth of my behaviour dawned on me and I lost someone very dear to me because of my behavior! It's been really tough - but I'm really aiming at doing better and making amends when and where I can. And truly, I believe that this church is a blessing to me and I'm so glad that I decided to go back even though I was unsure at first. (IT reminds me of how we're told to try more than one Alanon meeting before we make up our minds, lol)

Thank you all for allowing me to share! I just really am feeling good about things in my life. I still have some things that need fixing but alot of my past issues have been resolved or are in the process of being resolved, and more importantly, I'm really just feeling better about alot of things.

As always...I'm still growing!
Only this time, I'm kinda liking it! lol
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but I'm looking for more, too...

Are there any groups with uplifting messages that aren't religious? I'm just looking for an active group of positive people who are all about taking care of themselves. I don't want a singles group, just strong empowered women! I'd like to build some friendships, not necessarily religious based.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No stiffs at all at my church.
I didn't mind going to church. My ministor is a female and is in recovery.
She knows the bible inside and out, but she translated it in ways I can
understand. Many counseling session for me to heal.

She gave me a lot of new idea and tools that I havn't seen before.
Living tools that I can apply to my life. Some of which I thought was
looney as heck, at first. They work if I apply them with an openmind.
No brimstones or hell fire stuff.
Example; be teflon man..lol nothing sticks to me.
It's another way of saying have bondaries or don't blame myself
or let others BS affect me.

She told me god sent adbrasive people into my life to make me a finer person.lol Just another way of telling me, If it didn't kill me, It'll
make me a better person.

She also told me if i didn't have anyone to talk to, i can always
talk to the trees or rock about all my problems.. it blows my mind.lol

I even visited other churchs, I listen to the principle of what
the ministor was talking about. I comprehend it to be a message
of love and basically the same principle of recovery.

My ministor told me I was a child of god or the universe.
The universe sends me exactly what I ask for.
If i need to learn a certain lessons and if i didn't grasp the lesson.
The universe sends me those lessons to me. Until i get it.
Or I keep doing the samething over and over again and expect
different results.lmaf

If I was ready to move on, then god/universe sends me angles
or lessons to help me. So this journey in life is helping me in the
grand scheme things. Or I'm just an extension of god. So what
ever exeperince I have in this life is neither good or bad. It's just
an experience of creation. Everything is created perfectly as it
is. It is what it is.

You know...I'm a spiritual being having a human experince
Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Standing Strong, I am so happy you found a loving, non

condemning church.

Enjoy!

(Let us know how it goes, I'm trying to get the courage to go back myself)

Love,

IO
Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
full of hope

Standing, Are you sure you weren't at my church?! We had a lot of visitors!
I know what you mean about finding the right place and being open-minded!
I'm sooo happy for you!!! And I feel a little inspired to open up to some new things myself!
, Cheryl
Old 03-19-2007, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being open to change is good. I have ntoiced as I have gotten older and developed my well thought out opinions that if I appear to NOT be open minded about something, I face accusation, as though I were closed minded. Developing convictions can leave you lonely sometimes. I have compromised my convictions as not to be accused of being closed minded and moved past that. I have to look at my own face in the mirror everyday.
I'm glad you are looking and finding yourself.
It feels good to find sense. Be true to yourself.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
full of hope

Mallow, I remember reading somewhere that we should be open-minded but not so open minded our brains fall out! I'm not really sure what that means...but it came to mind this morning.
I'm glad you shared what you did. Sometimes when you stand for something you stand alone! And since you have to take yourself home at the end of the day you better like who you are!