RE:HBO addiction

Old 03-17-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

RE:HBO addiction

Yes I have watched several episodes by now ON DEMAND--regular HBO has another new episode tonig
ht.
Maybe some of you have seen the first episode--what I found different was I believe 2 of the professional(scientists maybe) do NOT believe that a person has to ''hit rock bottom'' to head down the road to recovery???

I have always thought that myself---I agree with much of the shows comments re'insurance difficulties and lack of treatment programs

...They went before a government board to talk about--IS IT MANSLAUGHTER--to deny a patient the treatment that a medical doctor has prescribed-after doing a full assessment of them---versus someone with a high school education on a phone in an insurance company just hitting the reject button on covering the care--managed care--It is a nightmare-I am a nurse-I remember about 20 years ago when it was first coming out--I could see it would be the end of any kind of good medical care for a lot of people.And I was right!

But think about it--if the Md orders treatment and the insurance company denies it-and the patient dies--that really is manslaugh
ter!!

Very interesting !!!!!! Wondering if there is any groups in my area
fighting for this??? I think we should tax alcohol up the butt like they do with smokes!!!Take that money and use it for treatment centers for alcoholics

Face it organizing a REAL treatment program is not being done--As should have 6 mo to a year of inpatient-free-with their family getting financial support.....In the long run it costs more with the A going in/out of treatment sometimes for years because it wasn't handled properly the first time!!

I think I should run for president--HAHAHAHAHHHAHHA!!YAH RIGHT!!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
full of hope

Frizzy for Presi....Send me a button! I'll wear it!
, Cheryl
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chero I can't even take care of myself-never mind anyone else-haha--I was just rambeling and thought i would end it on a joke--but boy would I change healthcare!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
full of hope

Hey gal, If you can change healthcare you've got my vote for sure!!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Frizzy, you have my vote. I think you could give these politicians a run for there money.. Soon everyone would be saying Hillary who?

Chero, you should be vice-president.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you know what frizzy? i really think alcohol should be taxed WAY more!

tonight i went out to dinner with my friends for st patricks day, in an area that has a university. there were so many drunk college students and it made me so angry watching them make fools out of themselves... i'd honestly be okay never seeing alcohol for the rest of my life after i've seen the damage it can do

if you can take care of some of that, i'll definitely vote for you for president!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I only get regular HBO. I don't get HBO2, and I have no idea what HBO on demand is. Tonight on regular HBO, it was a repeat of what I watched this last Thursday. I don't want to miss any of the episodes and will have to keep a close eye on the schedule.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
full of hope

I do think we could rule the world!
First on our agenda....Giant alcohol tax!
Second....anybody???
Old 03-17-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hehe...could you imagine what a dysfunctional country we would have. lol...

Last edited by free2be; 03-17-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many years ago, when AH agreed to go to treatment, I called the Ins. co. to get "authorization". They claimed in-patient care wasn't covered by our policy. I argued that I had the certificate of coverage in hand and it specifically stated it was a covered service. The idiot from the Ins. Co. continued arguing the point with me, and finally I said "If he drinks and drive and kills you or someone you love on the road, or kills himself, I'll sue you and the insurance company holding you responsible, liable, for the outcome!" She approved the treatment right then.

Oh, and AH decided not to go, of course.

~ghm
Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Back when I was married my then-husband was repeatedly in rehab. He would threaten suicide and get on the hospital mental ward and then get transferred to an alcohol rehab facility. He had three tries and then that was all the insurance would pay for. I had excellent insurance too.

Eventually, after the insuarnce ran out (we were divorced and he was on COBRA, and then COBRA ran out) and after repeatedly being tken in for suicide threats and attempts, they committed him as an inpatient. He ended up in a State facility and, because he had the money, I am sure he was paying for it at least in part (unless his family made him indigent in the time from our divorce to his committment.. and they may have).

He was in there for 8-9 minths and died of a massive heart attack.. (no AED's there.. which I find amazing).

I guess I look at this from both sides of the coin. As a person who was married to this man.. and who did love him.. I wish he could have gotten more help.. but as a payer for the insurance, where do you draw the line? Personally I think the stint in rehab is too short.

I am wondering if there ought to be a middle ground. My insurance limits you to 3 rehabs in your life. Perhaps it could do something better in say, limiting it to TWO rehabs but have the rehab go for 6 months instead of 6 weeks? I know the problem with my ex is that he needed to be re programmed and it wasn't going to happen in 6 weeks. He might have had a chance if he had been in for 6 months or a year.

The State hospital was useless. Totally totally useless.. it was more like a jail than a mental hospital with minimal patient counseling or help.

One thing I will agtree on is the system is broken. I don't have an answer, but I can tell when something is broken.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Made me think of some of my A friends. One dear friend the 8th go at treatment took, and really took, he can quote every word in the AA Big Book and what pg.(first 164 pages)
Another friend went to our nicer treatment center first time, second to State center, he said he learned more in State facility. (Just more ready to listen??)
The first no doubt primed the pump, also some believe that once they have been to AA it spoils their drinking. (I always favor court ordered, others do not)

Another A said just the reverse, State facility didn't help, but nicer one got him sober. ?? Everyone different.
Guess it takes what it takes.

Elana, I am so sad for you and him, that should not have happened. However he is at peace. I agree treatment too short, they should be tested to see if need more time, course they lie and pretend. How sad, "They win again" They think they win, we think they win, but everyone looses. Caring hugs Elana
Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know if people know this but it isnt the insurance company fault that treatment doesnt work . My husband went to treatment and some people were on their 10th and 11th try and it still didnt take. Our insurance only pays one treatment in your lifetime. Your employer or you pick your insurance plan and what they will cover so it isnt the insurance company fault that your company picked a plan that doesnt cover several tries at treatment. They have one hour counselling a day and one AA meeting and the rest is room /board/horseshoes/snacks/volleyball/walks etcc... they need to be inpatient for detox. Some of these places are fraudulent. Remember Charter Health tried to get people to commit their teenagers for mental health problems? There are a lot of fraudulent places that take your money and insurance too, and it doesnt work. Yes sometimes treatment does work and I am not against it but just because HBO says something it isnt a fact set in stone. The fact is many people will die from alcholism even if they go to treatment several times. I have heard many times and know from many people that they most people get sober without going to treatment. Just wanted people to have an open mind and think about things .
Old 03-18-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I am not sure my insurance is wrong to say you get three chances then you are on your own. Is it the company's responsibility to send some one to rehab over and over? Isn't that how you define insanity? doing something over and over with the same (non working) results???? I really don't know. Wish I did.

The State hospital my husband was in was a psychiatric hospital, not a rehab facility. He was in for repeated suicide attempts and depression, not for addiction. He was an alcohloic and by the time he got into the hospital he was in a constant state of anxiety and panic from the damage to his brain. He was also depressed and had been treated ad nauseum without success for this.

He hated living for 57 of his 67 years. It started when he was 10 and was playing with matches in the barn and it got away from him and the barn burned down. They saved the animals but lost all the feed and the building.. equipment in it (the fire was in September after harvest in 1947).

Two days later he was in school.. and the teacher who had been instructed by his parents to say NOTHING about this gave a lecture on kids not playing with matches and ended up saying, "so class, do not ever play with matches.. isn't that right Walter.." That was the end of him.. and he was only 10. You did not take your kid to counseling in 1947 and IF there was a mental illness it was hidden as an embarassment.

He finally got his wish I guess. He died two weeks before he turned 68 in October of 2004.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How cold hearted! LV and more caring, understanding hugsl
Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"They don't have to hit bottom to recover." I want to believe that too. Why wait until a person destroys their body, their life...or someone elses life to recover from addiction? This is not to say a person will recover. They may die from the addiction, but we should not sit back,......to let go and let God.

But there are hard realities to face. The health care system in our nation is broken. It is still vastly superior to almost all other nations, but it has become too expensive. How do we make it accessible, without driving down quality, care and innovation? At present, care is rationed..... Resources are managed.

But when the middle class, the average american, can no longer affford the system...it must change. But the baby boomers are beginning to retire and age...demanding more and more from the health care system. My guess is the system. social security, medicare will be bankrupt in 20 years. You cannot tax your way out of this either. There must be another solution.

I have no answer, except for more aggressive anti drug and alcohol programs for our kids. To try and stop the addiction from ever beginning.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Prevention is 9/10ths of the cure.

I have ideas on this but rather than be drummed out of the room, I will keep silent. Not being a parent my ideas may not be welcome and may be far wrong.

Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Elana, I too have ideas's on prevention, but feel I would be looked at funny. LOL Also I don't have childern.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree that prevention is important and that we all have a responsibility to teach people younger than ourselves about the dangers of alcohol abuse, but if this is a mental, physical and spiritual disease will prevention really help somone afflicted with it? I think it's genetic for the most part.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The reality is that most rehab is very expensive ... and not very effective with a high relapse rate. Medical insurance costs are soaring and premiums exorbitant ... and medical insurance has always been reluctant to insure expensive procedures that have a poor chance of success.

The real problem lies is investing more dollars in researching addiction and developing truly EFFECTIVE TREATMENTS that greatly reduce the relapse rate. It is a huge task but with all the advances made in medicine and research...I do believe there are better answers waiting to be discovered.

I personally think increasing the tax on alcohol and reinvesting it on treating the problem would be an excellent idea. Addiction has got to be one of the most damaging, deadly and expensive problems our country faces. There have got to be better answers and treatments than what we have now - this country has got to willing to invest in taking addiction seriously and getting better and more effective solutions ... and give it the priority and urgency this devasting problem deserves.