OT-Am I enabling....

Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ICU

OT-Am I enabling....

...my dog while playing with her fuzzy toy on the couch, she gets it wedged between the cushions, then comes running towards me, barking her tiny little head off, wanting me to retrieve it for her.....and I DO! Over and over and over again.....

Wondering if the concept of enabling doesn't just apply to humans!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it definitely doesn't just apply to humans!

i do the same thing with my dog, who's a maltese who weighs about 5 pounds. although he gets half of a treat (those little bones) after every time he goes outside, which i know he CAN eat on his own (i've witnessed this many times!), he'll often sit and stare at it and keep looking at me until i break the treat into tiny pieces so he can eat it

spoiled rotten is all i have to say! although i'm not sure it has such negative side effects for dogs and other animals
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

And if it is enabling, wouldn't taking the toy away from her also be considered enabling? ;-)
Old 03-14-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by InThisForMe View Post
spoiled rotten is all i have to say! although i'm not sure it has such negative side effects for dogs and other animals
I think I agree.

Maltese are adorable. My folks had 2 when I was growing up. Very cuddly and affectionate little loves they are.

It's weird how the things I've learned about in human relationships I now begin to see myself doing with my furbabies too.

Thanks for humoring me...I've come out of my funk and am in a pretty good mood today. I got loads of sleep last night too, for a change.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Want to hear enabling? My cat cries for me to pet her while she eats. And I do it. Again and again and again. O God, the shame!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ICU

That's kind of sweet WantsOut! I have to scrap the food together in a pile on the plate after my cat spreads it all around trying to get it all. And like you, I do it!

I think in my next life I want to come back as one of our dogs or cats.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i love this thread! it's definitely started my morning off in a great way, so thanks ICU!

i also definitely want to come back as one of our pets... life is so much easier!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

It is sweet but she's getting rather fat
Old 03-14-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ok....it's only enabling if you wipe your dogs hiney. after all, they are perfectly capable of licking it themselves. ewwwwwww

i do some of the most ridiculous things for my dog....he is a maltese also and will not eat his mighty dog if i don't chop it up for him....now mighty dog is the consistency of cottage cheese....go figure.

and every morning, he howls at me until i howl back. that's it for the day. he sleeps right at my back every night. i love him so much.

he won't play with toys though. never has. he hides things in my bed. but has never played with toys.

is that normal? he is 12.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ICU

Well, there 'ya go...I'm enabling my dog...I sometimes have to help with the hiney wipe thing! LOL

Embraced, some dogs and cats don't play with toys. If he never has, I wouldn't be concerned. Sounds like you are part of his entertainment anyway! Aren't we all!! I swear mine laughs at me sometimes.

It was nice to have a light-hearted thread going for a little while. Hope they don't mind if we slip one in every blue moon or so.

Okay....back to regularly scheduled business.....
Old 03-14-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I enable my cat, I know I do....but he loves me no matter what, doesn't judge me, and could care less if i have makeup on or not
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LOL i also sometimes have to wipe the hiney...

my maltese has a billion toys, but that's because he'll play with anything he finds, from shoelaces to pop bottles, to socks... although i also had a golden retriever that never played with any toys

embraced, maybe your dog just doesn't need the toys because you're more entertaining, and maybe my dog doesn't feel the same way about me!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My dog tears up her toys and I buy her new ones, which again are ripped to shreds in a few hours. Guess what Im doing tonite, buying more toys in hopes to prevent her from chewing up carpet or shoes.

I am a manipulating enabler
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

I love this thread!! I will proudly say I am an enabler as well. My whole house is geared for them. I often tell them they have a wonderful big dog house and I should move out of there home!!. Enabling does have it's rewards when it is returned with the unconditional love they give us and they don't hurt us as often as the humans we enable!! My kitty won't eat unless I pile all of her food back up for her either, and my dog usually sleeps with me but if I move too much he will literally "huff" at me and go sleep in the closet in a laundry basket to hurt my feelings!! Little poops, what would we do without them?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by embraced2000 View Post
he won't play with toys though. never has. he hides things in my bed. but has never played with toys.

Smart dog! He doesn't need toys....he has something(someone) better...YOU! Glad you have each other!

p.s. some of this stuff on this thread probably is "enabling" but some is maybe just play,IMHO. Is playing "fetch" enabling? (same concept,to me....the interaction;bring it to me and I'll throw it and you get it and have me do it again...)

I love all my (many!) pets,despite the extra work they make.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Oh goodness, I may be the worst enabler of all. I make home-made chicken noodle soup for my four pups with boneless chicken, extra-wide egg noodles, corn kernels, cubed yukon gold potatoes, sliced carrots, and onions and biscuits with butter and honey. They eat every drop (after it cools a bit, of course). It's their favorite dinner. Their second favorite is spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread on the side.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i am on a different thread and i am just browsing around and former doormat you are making me hungry!!!! i also amke homemade chicken noodle soup ---are you puting your potatos in the soup or are they a seperate side dish??
Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Practicing the lion's roar

FDM no wonder the fellow in your photo is a bit on the pudgy side! Hehehe.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ICU, Many Thanks for this day brightener thread, my heart is full of love for every ones pet.

When it was no longer fair for me to have a dog, I dog sat my friends dogs, when needed, Such wonderful creatures! (Love kittens but allergic)

Not enabeling, LOVE IS LOVE Wouldn't this be interdependence?
They depend on us and we them? Also great respect for each other.
Maybe not PC or might offend some, but God spelled backwards is dog, how did that happen?

PS. I got called away, other replys came in so if this mentioned already ya know why, forgive, and a wet doggie kiss fine. LOL
Old 03-14-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

oh, i so love this thread!!!! such a day brightener.

i love reading everyones love for their babies. i vote for getting official approval from the orgainizations of recovery to enable our furbabies without any kind of guilt whatsoever. we shall go to oz....i hear the wizard of oz can do anything.....even grant guilt free enabling for our "other" family members that are furry.

and fdm....goodness gracious girly!!!!.....that dog dinner sounded so good, my mouth was watering. i probably would have done tricks to just have that meal.