OT-Am I enabling....

Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Jackie: I put the potatoes in the soup. It's more like chicken stew than soup. I start out with 4 cans of fat-free chicken broth, add a few chicken boullion cubes, one diced onion, 1 can of corn, several sliced carrots (peeled), peeled and diced yukon gold potatoes, and uncooked boneless chicken breasts and cook everything all at the same time. While the soup is cooking, I boil the water for the egg noodles (always cook them separately from the soup to avoid the starch in them from clouding and thickening the chicken broth). Cook noodles al dente, drain, then add to the soup pot when the veggies are ready. I also remove the chicken breasts when they're cooked through (about 15 minutes), cool, dice, then add back to pot after the veggies are cooked. Be sure not to overcook the chicken or it gets tough. And don't forget to add plenty of salt and pepper, and some hot buttered Pillsbury southern-style biscuits dripping with honey on the side.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

ATS: Everyone in my home is a bit on the pudgy side. I wonder what's causing that....
Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Practicing the lion's roar

Your soup sounds fabulous. You have very lucky doggies!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Reminds me of once I had to give my puppy a pill, always heard, hide it in hamburger. So I did, he would not eat it, so I ran out and got baby food, Great that worked. Tried to deceide why wouldn't work in hamb.
Later I had uncooked soup bones I thought would be a great treat, he loved bones.

He gave me this look like what the hell is this?(He had always had cooked ones)
He wanted his food cooked with some salt and pepper Please

He read the dog food prices too, if I didn't pay enough he wouldn't eat it. Gave me sad "How could you? look.

He was one of the 2 reasons I gave up drinking. That "How could you ?"
look, and sad.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Gee now I enable my pets too!!! I have my ''Lotte'' My cairn terrier--plus 4 cats--they rule this house--I make there food lol chicken-brocolli and rice every week and put it all in seperate baggies...haha--also my dog has her own side ont he bed---she gets tired after I wheel her in her doggie carriage hahaha---it does take your mind off things though--- Still its unconditional love--they dont do the things the As do to us...no matter what they are there and want my attention and love...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Some one was asking about diets for pets here---go online a join a group where you can share about something happy for a change--I belong to a Cairn Group---and I think they like me better there than here-haha
Old 03-14-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Practicing the lion's roar

I can't speak for anybody but myself and I like you just as you are, frizzy! :-)
Old 03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ICU

I loved reading about your pets and how we all enable them, yes we do! And I think we even have a manipulating enabler amongst us too! :-) Clever!! I think we're all in agreement that it's really all about unconditional love, playing, fun, pampering....but whatever you call it, it's all good!

Life does get seriously tough at times, and when it does, and all else fails...look into the eyes of your furbaby, give 'em a big hug and kiss and tell them you love them. As you know, the love will be returned to you a thousand times and more!

Thanks everyone for making my day a little brighter too. I enjoyed getting to know another side of each of you.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

giving pills

Try peanut butter when giving pills, it has never failed me.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was just notified that I may be adopting a very small runt of the litter dog--she had hydrocephalis (brain damage) she has been shipped around for 2 years to foster homes--she is ''slow'' they say--her name is ''cindy lou'' ( ilove it) all she needs is a home and some love--keeping my fingers crossed....
Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

thanks for your recipe former doormat: i am going to start putting potatos in from now on, much appreciated!!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh my, you are all making me feel really coldhearted!!!!!
Let's see - I have a dog and a cat both here in the house.....and nope, I don't enable either of them! Long loving story about my dog that's too long to share here, but he's missing a leg - and I still don't enable him!
My, but I must be a mean mean person!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

i wouldn't say that, standingstrong.

perhaps your animals are more independent and self sufficient than ours are... i definitely baby my dog too much, so he, in turn, acts like a baby... and the cycle continues...
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

After my dog's accident, we did baby him quite well. However, I guess I realized soon enough that we couldn't continue to do it. (He's a large dog and I knew that to make him too dependant would actually be bad for him). It was out of love that I declared he become able to do for himself.

Perhaps I saw subconciously in him the strength to do - whereas I couldn't do for myself. Hmm.......

The cat......well, he's just spunky and wouldn't have none of that spoiling crap! LOL
Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, too, FrizzyLynn. Bless you for taking in a special needs dog. I adopted all four of my dogs from local shelters (I volunteer for a no-kill shelter). All of them have special needs, too.

I'm a codie through and through. I not only rescue people in crisis, I rescue abandoned dogs and cats, too.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

i got my first cat from the humane society---they had her in the dog room not in the cage with the dogs but in one of the little cages by herself where they had the dogs-- when i took her out to hold her i didn't have the heart to put her back with the dogs the look in her eyes said it all it was like please don't put me back in there i want to go with you,, so of course i listened to what those sweet little kitty were telling me--so no need to look anymore i just boxed her up and took her home-she eventually got the nickname"big fat mama" when she passed away she weighed 19 lbs. i loved her soooooooo much. i cry when i talk about her. now i have a new cat i adopted her from a lady that takes in homeless or abused animals she has a big shelter on her farm and people are always bringing her animals--she is really more like old mcdonald---the cat i have now was thrown out of her house after the people spayed and de clwaed her --then they moved and left her --which i think is cokpletely digusting that a human being would do such a thing to a poor defensless animal that they made even more defensless by de clawing and then threw her out, when i adopted her she had been in a cat fight and then other cat took a chunk out og her neck and she about lost an eye, and had deep cuts and scratches all over her body, the vet got her fixed up it happened about a week before i adopted her, so she was still pretty gun shy and scared but it only took her a few days of being with me and my family to come around, and now she is the most LOVING cat in the world--my kids torcher her(not in a mean way but i do have a 3 yr old that doesnt know how to pet and play soft) but regardless she loves him-- i will even catch her sleeping in his bed with him she wraps her front paws around his arm like she is hugging him it is so sweet, but she does wait till he falls asleep before she goes in there she doesn't want to risk being put in a headlock. sorry i rambled i saw all of you talking about your pets so i thought i would add...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Cats are different--I mean you love them just as much(i know) but they are independent and do what they like....and you can ramble about your pets anytime to me--I just love them all..