SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Positive thinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/118133-positive-thinking.html)

Bjen 03-12-2007 09:54 PM

Positive thinking

I won't complain in this post. Mostly his stuff doesn't bother but none of you know that because the only time I post is when I get upset about something. Overall, things are going well for me. I spend time with my friends that treat me as normal people treat one another. I spend lots of time with my 4 year old and 11 month old neices!! My search for the perfect man isn't going so well, anyone know and Antonio Banderas look alike that doesn't have a voice box? :) Men are great if they don't talk, just stand there and look good. Other than that, the weather is wonderful, my job is awesome, my doggie has been sick but is feeling better now, I have enough money to pay bills and save a little bit, I am journaling and have ordered 2 al-anon books (they should be here tomorrow), we have to make a "dream board" at work to keep us focused on our goals in life and work, which couldn't happen at a more perfect time and Spring is just around the corner and I found the perfect mint green purse for it.

What good things are happening for you guys? What are you thankful for today?

MsGolightly 03-12-2007 09:59 PM

bjen, good for you! i'm working on positive thinking myself. have you heard of the book "the secret"? (there's also a dvd i believe). i recently started reading it, a lot of it is common sense and perhaps some of it is a bit elementary and redundant, but it's really helped me focus more on the positive... and i'll take whatever works at this point!

Sunflower 03-12-2007 11:45 PM

Good for you---see sometimes we have to dig to see the good things aroundus and within our lives.....its great you post when you are'upset' thats why we have this group(i think)--so vent away when you need to....it's not the same as you say''complaining''
You do have a lot to be thankful for--keep reminding yourself of that....I am thankful my son remains sober for over 6 month now--I am thankful that by posting here and the replies that have realised I still have so much to work on for myself....

dollydo 03-13-2007 03:47 AM

Enjoyed your post!

I am thankfull that I have such a good support system, family and friends.

ICU 03-13-2007 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bjen (Post 1245078)
What are you thankful for today?

I can't believe I've actually gotten to the place in my life where I can honestly say this, so, here it goes....

I am thankful for the role my abusive/alcoholic ex-boyfriend (had to be honest, for that's what he "IS" or should I say "WAS") played in my life, for he was my catalyst to change! Hmmm...I'm sure my HP put him there for a reason as I wasn't listening to His whispered messages....I need to be yelled at!

I truly think had it not been for my ex (and HP), I would have been going down further and further into my own denial, blaming others behavior as the source of all my problems, not realizing that being a victim is a choice (to a point), and bouncing from one toxic relationship to the next.

Choice is the next thing I am thankful for as it is a relatively new concept for me. I don't know how or why, but I never truly realized I had choices.... never knew "I could choose"!!

Originally Posted by Bjen (Post 1245078)
What good things are happening for you guys?

For the first time in my life, I am mostly happy, mostly peaceful, and have a positive outlook. When things don't go as smoothly as desired, I accept them as the next part of my journey of learning and self discovery. The tools I have found along the way have made all the difference.

Thanks for the reminder of some of the many things I am grateful for.

Notoshure 03-13-2007 04:23 AM

I posted early this morning about, "I guess there is a God" my husband called and said something I have wanting hear for years ,although I haven't slept since It's just to bad it is at the expense Of a really wonderful Guy who is hurting nothing I can do about that, but I sure could use some sleep

Grace 03-13-2007 04:59 AM

I was just thinking about starting a post like this, so THANK YOU!
I am thankful for all my supportive friends on here. Even though I've never met any of you, it is so nice to have someone who understands. So few people understand, and unfortunately, there are no Alanon meetings within 30 miles of where I live. I read...I post....and I do a lot of praying!

I have been in this situation for a long time, and I am embarrassed about that. I know there was only one perfect person in this world, and it certainly wasn't me. I'm just living one day at a time.

I wake up in the morning and thank God for the day, and then I look at my dogs and thank God for them. After I log on here....I thank God for my SR friends.

Have a great day!

chero 03-13-2007 05:29 AM

Grace, Please don't be emabrrassed. There isn't any need for that! There is no condemnation here for sure. Just people who love, understand and support one another---because they've been there and are still there.
I've been with my AH for 12 years and let me see, 11 1/2 of that was with him drinking. I'm not proud of it--it's just the facts. I'm not ashamed of it.
Sometimes we have to look hard to see the good in life and sometimes it flies right in front of us and smacks us in the face. I hope today you have one of those smack ya in the face and make ya smile kinda days!
We deserve it! We are fighters! We are survivors!
Blessings! Cheryl

Bjen 03-13-2007 11:19 AM

Inthisforme!!! That is funny you brought up "the secret". I work in an alternative health care clinic and our Doc brought in that video, it plays all day in our therapy room for the patients. I catch little bits and pieces, soon we are all planning on watching it together when we aren't working. At our meetings however, one of us always seems excited about one of the "bits' that we caught while we were in there. I am excited to watch it in it's entirety. That is where the "dream board" comes from that we are supposed to make. Thank you!!!

To the rest of you!! Thanks for all your replies, it is nice to get out of all our "heaviness" and focus on our good things sometimes!!

hope2bhappy 03-13-2007 12:48 PM

I'm having a particularly tough day today (emotionally). I enjoyed reading your positive post.

Cynay 03-13-2007 01:15 PM

Today Im thankful for.....

The truth even when it hurts.

Great friends and advisors that support/love me.

SR and my friends here.

and thankful for my life that only has chaos if I choose to allow it in, for my stability, the ability to love & enjoy life through the good and the bad.