tried to go on a date....am i still 16??

Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tried to go on a date....am i still 16??

it just ain't happenin' for me guys and gals.....had a lunch date with a former boyfriend from 27 years ago....when it was time to say goodbye....he leaned in towards me......and i shook his hand......I SHOOK THE MANS HAND, FOLKS!!!! pumped it furiously for about 5 real good pumps, chattering away about, nice to see you, take care, bye.

i shook his hand. real good, i shook his hand. he sure looked bewildered.

he tried to pick me up at my apt., and i didn't want him in my personal space, so i met him at the restaurant. he didn't quite understand that either.

am i dead, done for, through with it all, or am i just getting comfortable in my own skin??

he initially asked me to go to a car show....and i declined....he said have you ever been to one.....i said...sure, i hated it then, and i'm sure i wouldn't like it any better now.

i would have never declined.......BRA..(before recovery attempt)....always just did whatever the guy wanted to do, and acted like i just loved, loved, loved it.

but, this guy.....it just ain't workin for me.

as a reminder, this is the guy i ran into while christmas shopping and we went for lunch then, and i had a good time. but i'm just not ready to spend time with him. he has called bout 6 times since then....just can't get there from here....ya know what i mean? and he's a really nice guy....

he would make the near perfect dating companion......

ok....here's what i'm worried about....gonna quit *****-footin around.....maybe i'm just too damn sick and weird for a normal guy?????

god, this scares me. i know, i know....what's normal???

well......stable, well-respected, raised his children and they all adore him, his mother lived with him and his family till she passed and he treated her like a queen, business and home owner, doesn't drink, do drugs, just your average good ole joe.

why can't i feel the sparks???????
Old 02-24-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OMG I laughed so hard when I read this---you go girl--they always want what they can't have. You are normal---your ex was not--so you are too used to crazy!!!This guy sounds like a nice one--maybe you should give it a few more dates...ya never know!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Maybe if he rumpled his hair, slurred his words, and had alcohol on his breath you might be more attracted to him. Or perhaps if he drove by your work repeatedly and blew out the windows, you'd be all over him like butter and jam on toast.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Naw, your space has become precious to you. Even now, I don't invite hardly anyone in. I'll go see them. I like to come and go when I want. Come, go, come, go, come, go.
There was a time I'm sure you'd have just gone to the car show and smiled your way through it, enduring it because it would make HIM happy.
You are putting you first and you realize you don't have to make anyone happy but you.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

don't hold back, fdm.....i want you to be honest with me. lololol

i WANT to WANT to spend just a little time with him. he tried to hold my hand at the restaurant, and my mouth just went into overdrive, like a window shade that had been let go of suddenly....blabber, blabber, blabber, pfffftt, blabber, blah, blah.

and of course, i was pulling my hand away to refold my napkin, pick up my water glass, readjust my seat.....good grief!!!!! i'm 54 years old. i should be so much more comfortable than this.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i hope that is true, mallow......in a way i think it may be very true.....but the other part of the equation is that i also think he is too "normal" for me....and that really worries my mind.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Embraced, we have all been affected by the disease of alcoholism. Take it from me, I realized last night that I had become as looney as AH. It takes time to heal. Look at it this way: if your mom made the driest, crummiest meatloaf you ever ate, you'd eat it. Then when you went to a friend's house and her mom served you juicy, tender, flavorful meatloaf you'd spit it in your napkin (or toss it in your purse).

We get used to what we get used to. And it is sick but it's "home" for us. In my entire dating life, I was involved with one normie/nice guy. I chewed him up and spit him out big-time. I have a compulsion to get involved with emotionally unavailable, abusive men. Even the non-A's I've dated and "loved" have abused me like you wouldn't believe.

Be gentle with yourself and give it time. Were you Class of '70? If so, we need to talk about the good ole day. "Naa-naa-naa-naa, naa-naa-naa-naa, hey, hey, hey, goodbye!" Who performed that tune for $2,000??? LOL!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe you're just not ready to date right now. Or perhaps you're not really ready to let go of your ex.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i just dunno.....feels like i've let go of x.....honestly.

when i think of him now, i think of how quickly he moved to another woman and that really invalidated many ideas i had of our special, oh so special, relationship.

just not ready to date now......just not interested. done for. dead-end. just need me and my rudy-dog, i reckon.

oh god, i've turned into a 54 year old woman that lives with a fluffy little white dog, and who messes with her pennies. pushing her change around in her hand in the store lines, trying to count out just the right amount of change. hi-light of any shopping trip.....using up all my change.

sure beats shiverin in yer shoes from listening to the rantings and ragings of an angry alcoholic.

maybe i'll invite the old boyfriend over for american idol and pizza. maybe.

or better yet, maybe we could just call each other while american idol is on and watch it like that, huh?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Steam??????????
Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why ruin a perfectly good show by inviting a man over to watch it with you? I'd get a fresh box of chocolate covered cherries, a cup of coffee, and a pen and paper (to keep track of your favorite singers), and call it a night.

It could be worse. You only have one dog. It's not like you're the crazy cat lady with 20 cats running around your house. Then, I'd start to worry about you.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was like that when I met my second husband. I was a awfully rude to him. So defensive and guarded. I even told him I thought all men were idiots. He wouldn't give up, thank G-d.

Take your time there's no rush, do what makes YOU feel comfortable and if he is genuine and sincere, he will understand and be patient.

Idol and pizza sounds good.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hey prod....did pick name that tune????
Old 02-24-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel (and laughed big time when I read your "I SHOOK THE MAN's HAND"!!!) You're like me. Chemistry is important to us. We had awesome sparks with our A's and want that again with a "normal" guy. I went on 2 dates during 2 of our break ups and every time went home disappointed. These guys were gorgeous, sweet, funny, seemingly perfect and all I could think about was the first time I saw "A" how it was "love at first site". Instant attraction. Could've "bagged" him that night! (but didn't--still have morals! LOL) I felt ZERO for these nice guys. Maybe they were missing the "danger" quality...or maybe they were just boring? I found something to "nitpick" on both of them (one of them was too skinny--he was smaller than me. The other couldn't stand "silence" in a conversation so whenever we weren't talking he would say "So.....Uh huh.......yeah...anyway...." OMG!! IT WAS SOOOOO ANNOYING! So maybe you weren't feeling sparks because they just weren't there. And if its important to you maybe you can just be friends and have someone to "hang out" with instead of having a "relationship" with him. Maybe it will grow, maybe it won't. Maybe your feelings (or lack thereof) have NOTHING to do with your exah and your "not so normal thinking". Maybe this guy wouldn't be right for you even if you were "normal". You'll know it when you see it, right? (But try what FDM said: have him mess up his hair, slur his speech and yell at you and see if it helps! LOL)
Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ya know what????? i'm just plain not interested i think. even in the "s" word. i'm on autopilot right now....all systems shut down for maintenance.

i have so much peace and serenity in my life....i am happy.

why am i so worried about being happy, for crying out loud????

no chaos, no crisis, just smooooooothh sailing. even the rough spots are just little hic-cups.......no big deals....just handle it calmly and go on.

damn, life is good.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yup dobie.....that damn fire from those spark plugs we chose.....man, oh, man.....what sparks, eh?

sicko, sicko, sicko.....that's what it really was for me with my ex.

my cheeks were burning hot when i shook that mans hand and ducked in my car blabbering away.

all the way home i was going.....damn, damn, double damn, triple damn, hell!!!!! you should have seen his face.

you know that commercial where the man and woman are looking down into a clogged sink, and their faces are kinda twisted??? it was kinda like that.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by embraced2000 View Post
yup dobie.....that damn fire from those spark plugs we chose.....man, oh, man.....what sparks, eh?

sicko, sicko, sicko.....that's what it really was for me with my ex.

my cheeks were burning hot when i shook that mans hand and ducked in my car blabbering away.

all the way home i was going.....damn, damn, double damn, triple damn, hell!!!!! you should have seen his face.

you know that commercial where the man and woman are looking down into a clogged sink, and their faces are kinda twisted??? it was kinda like that.
Yes well you know what they say about playing with fire...!!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree. Life is good. All you have is one little pooch. I have four dogs. Does that make me a crazy dog lady?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pick-A-Name wins the $2,000 question...

.... and also lets us know that she an "old bag" just like us!! LOL!!! But I betja can't name who did "Love grows where my Rosemary goes ...." One of my all-time favorites from the spring of '71.

And, no, we won't have any simple ones like who did "Bridge Over Troubled Waters." (Kind of appropriate for here, isn't it?)
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think you have to have 10 little dogs or 5 big ones to be the crazy dog lady