Trust has always been a struggle with me

Old 04-16-2003, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Trust has always been a struggle with me

Trust is an area in my life that I have hidden. I will not tell someone that I do not trust them. However, I am constantly wondering what if.

My dad was an alcoholic and would preach: Do not trust anyone, not even your best friend they will F......You (his words). One day he took my 3 year old brother and put him on the fridge and ask him to jump to daddy, he moved and let him fall. Stating: you can't trust anyone, not even your father (again his words).

I am not sure if it stems from here or my first husband running around on me. How does one work on this. I know this is an area I need to strengthen.

I check my second husbands cell phone calls and this drives me crazy.

All suggestions to work on this weakness of mine are WELCOMED.

Thanks for listening Danna
Old 04-16-2003, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Trust has to be earned

I have learned over the years to be much more particular about who I trust than I did in the past. That doesn't mean that I live a guarded, paranoid life. It means that I let a relationship evolve for a while, before I decide to put my trust in someone (be it a co-worker, friend or potential loved one). I trust two people implicitly. God and myself. These are the two people who never let me down. Everyone else is on a trial basis. I have no problem being particular about who I trust. Trust is a precious commodity and it is ill-advised to invest in a precious commodity unwisely.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-16-2003, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MG has a wonderful post about this down in PTSD, it is called building a support system or something near to that,
check it out, it's great!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Danna.

What your father proved by that cruel prank is that no one can trust HIM, not even his own son. Read MG's thread and remember that the rest of the world is not your father. He was merely projecting his own faults onto others. People can trust YOU, right? There. You've already proved him wrong. It's wise to watch your back for creeps, but there is love, truth and kindness in the world, too.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 04-17-2003, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trust

There is a quote a policeman I know has taped over his desk. It always makes me laugh.
It states: "In God We Trust, All Others Are Suspects."
Old 04-23-2003, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On trust, I recently read something that really hit home with me.

It basically said that Trust is not about another person. It is about Trusting that YOU can handle whatever comes along. In my own mind, I have added that I can trust God to help me through whatever comes my way.

This has helped me tremendously. Because, all humans, even those with the BEST intentions will eventually let us down in some way. That is what being human is.