OT/ Moving

Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

OT/ Moving

Okay, so I'm kind of thinking aloud here and I'd like opinions from my fellow weary travellers.

As you know since I whine about it a lot, I have not been having luck finding a job. I'm one of those lucky folks who bought a little crap house in the Northeast like ten years ago and it's more than tripled in value, meaning if I sold I'd have a nice amount of cash in my pocket.

If I were to move to the Houston, Tx area I could buy a nice house outright for cash and still have money leftover to get situated - enough for a about a year of expenses (maybe more). I am sick to death of NY cold winters and would love to have a pool in a hot climate. I wouldn't have a mortgage so it wouldn't be imperative that I find the kind of job I need to stay afloat now. I do know that property taxes are high there, but they are high here too.

I could also leave all this exAH stuff behind me.

Does this sound like the seed of a real plan or a desperate escape attempt?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't remember WantsOut...do you have children? If so, would you be okay with them not seeing their dad? I'm not allowed to leave the province with our children. Not sure how your laws differ.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually is has some merits, however:

I could also leave all this exAH stuff behind me.

Does this sound like the seed of a real plan or a desperate escape attempt?
You won't be leaving the exAH "stuff" behind, lol. Whether you are in NY or TX you will have to work through this stuff.

That being said..............................there is nothing wrong with a NEW START in a NEW AREA. Houston is definitely a big enough area that you should be able to find a job that you would like and would give you income to live on.

If I were you though, I would do some further checking as the 'housing markets' in many areas of the county is now in a downward trend from what it was and in some areas is totally stagnant.

You can do a lot of the footwork on line. Seeing the reality of what your house will probably sell for, and then checking the listings on line for Houston and see what houses there are NOW selling for.

Also, remember, that Houston does have lots and lots and lots of Alanon meetings, lol, so.......................even though you will be taking some of the old 'baggage' with you, you will have a readily available means of working through all of it.

Just some thoughts..................oh and remember, Houston gets extremely humid and central Air Conditioning (costly to run) is a must, lol.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-06-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"For Sale"!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

My son isn't exAHs. His dad lives on the West Coast. He's also graduating from high school this June and going to go to community college. From what I understand if you move to the right area you don't have to wait a year to get resident status and therefore tuition.

Sales are slower here but not stagnant. You just have to have a reasonable price at the outset. I'm within commuting distance of NYC. The only thing that scares me is if I leave here I'll probably never be able to afford to come back.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In that case, I'd be moving!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Ok, the full fantasy is to sell the house and spend the summer driving around the country, staying at friend's places in Indiana, Colorado, and Los Angeles, THEN go to Houston and buy a house. Or buy the house and then drive around. You get me.

I'm ready to be alive now.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why Houston? Have you spent time in Texas? I lived there for 6 months and as a "new england girl" felt like I was in a foreign country! lol.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd go for it. Like Laurie says, the "stuff" will follow you, but as long as you know that going in and keep working on what needs to be worked on, I don't think it matters where you are.

Sometimes I think something to death. That can be a defect if I'm not careful.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I'm ready to be alive now.
Better do it quick you have one h*ll of a storm heading your way, roflmao.

On a serious note, it still sounds like a good plan to me as long as you remember you are taking YOU with you, lol.

Heck your young enough GO FOR IT. Yes, it can be scarry, very scarry but also exciting.

And with TX residency your son will have a choice of some really FINE colleges to attend at lower tuition.

I am PMing you.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Why around Houston? A few reasons ... first the house prices can't be beat. The kind of house I can afford there would cost $750k+ here. They are the kind of houses I always wanted to live in ... dining room, inground pool, plenty of space.

I am also serious when I tell you I'm sick of the cold. I really hate it. I'm tired of worrying about frozen pipes, wind chill factors, and being chilly in general. I know it's probably hotter down there than I bargained for, but I really want a weather change.

Also, my real dad lives there. I don't know him at all. I'd like to see if maybe I could get to know him. My mom left him when I was an infant. Ironically he was an A for 30 years or so but has been recovered for over a decade. I've been unable to deal with staying in contact with him in the past. It's something maybe I need to work out.

I haven't been there in a couple of years but I honestly find suburban America is pretty homogenous these days. Every place is full of the same stores, strip malls, and gas stations even if they may sport different names, they are pretty much the same.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What I love about Houston is it so close to Galveston. It is a different lifestyle than NY, like today, you'd have shorts on fanning yourself. I lived up in the panhandle and it was unlike Houston or NY, I did come to love it.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I spent last night setting electric heaters and running faucets to make sure my stupid pipes don't freeze because the wind chill got to 10 below. I could write the world's most boring post about my trials and tribulations with frozen or leaking plumbing. I'd rather fight palmetto bugs. And I like gardening and it would be fun to be able to grow more tropical plants. I have visions of giant Elephant Ears around my inground pool.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I grew up on the east coast. Much as I love it, I would NEVER choose to live in those winters again.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A fresh start in a new area might be a good idea, especially if your financial situation would be good. You will have to still deal with the ex issues, even in another state. Different scenery is good.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'd suggest the travel first....see what you really want out of a move...or even if you actually do want to move,or just needed the vacation.....
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in Canada ...but am leaving the cold bitter northeast for a return to the much milder southwest..which is my home province. I have no reason to stay here any longer. I came here running away actually..that was year and a half ago. I was a miserable, functioning alcoholic so came here to escape I guess. I took all my issues here with me cuz I didn't quit drinking..instead I took up with another alcoholic/addict and drank myself even further down. We split almost two months ago for second time in our painfully tumultous relationship. I joined AA and he's still drinking. I extended a hand very recently...asked him if he wanted to try us "sober". He did not. So ya, I'm leaving. I have many, many reasons to go back home..but yes, I am leaving all this emotional crap here. I have a lot of my "own stuff" to work on and it will be easier to do that someplace else. As he and my cousin/roommate work together I have to here about his drunken escapades and downward spiral daily. I can't take it. I need to move on. Escape? Perhaps...but I know it's what's best for me. I need the room to grow in my own recovery.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
brightlight

I have been having the same thoughts. I live in the Pacific Northwest and so sick of the coulds and cold weather. I know it is not as cold as the east or even Kansas and Oklahoma get cold in the winter, but here it is cloudy and seems like spring will never come and also at night even in July it is too cold to just go lay in the grass and watch the stars. It gets down in the 40s and 50s at night. My AH's mother and sisters live in N.E. Texas and I have been looking at the house on line. Big beautiful houses with tall ceilings and big porches. I also see the pool in my yard and a garden. Here we will never be able to retire or to buy a house and live comfortably, but there we could have a nice home. Only thing is I was born on the Oklahoma/Texas border and lived in Kansas and Iowa, and I dreamed and planned to leave the heat and live in the mountains. It is like there is no pleasing me. I know after about 1 month I will be complaining of the heat. Last summer here, my daughter and I would just dream of fall and wearing sweaters and cool weather and now we are complaining and dreaming of heat and looking at houses for sale in Texas. We are seriously planning on this, but just wish we could live it a month and then decide before quitting jobs and really moving. I worry about the utility bills in the summer and my mother-in-law talks about how much it costs to keep the house heated in the winter. We are driving ourselves nuts with should we stay or should we go. Good luck with your decision. Tired of cold!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Generically Unavailable

I was born and raised in Houston and attended undergrad school in upstate New York. Needless to say my first winter in NY was very uncomfortable.

The only advice I can offer is to pick the right part of town. I grew up in southeast Houston and moved north to the Sugarland area. The further north you move the safer it will be. Have you considered a different part of Texas? I would recommend the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Housing is cheaper and the area has plenty of great schools. Also, you actually get the seasons in the DFW area compared to the 100% humidity most of the year in Houston.

GL with your decision.

*NOTE: I will be moving back to Texas when I'm done here. Remember they do it bigger in TEXAS.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I understand not liking cold. Hence why I love living in the tropics.

How about casting out your net... sending out your resume to the area you are interested in living in and seeing what sorts of jobs you get offered before selling?

Maybe since you can right now, rent out your house in NY, live in Texas, off the rental, and see if you like it

conflict i read is opportunity knocking