Alcoholic Mom

Old 01-22-2007, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Alcoholic Mom

i dont really know where to begin. my moms been a big drinker for as long as i can remember i'd always just tell myself that adults drink and they get like that. i never saw it as a problem until middle school. And as the years have gone by it has gotten worse and worse. she stays up every other night, and gets SO DRUNK, i personally think alchohols not her only issue, but its deffinetly a very bad one. she says the most horrible things to me and makes me feel like nothing, hits me sometimes, and is so biligerant and out of control. This is all really starting to effect me, im still in high school i already have so much to deal with as it is, and everytime i have to deal with my mom its like i never no what to expect, shes so unpredictable. I cant enjoy anything anymore, its always on my mind. I get SO depressed sometimes. and i honestly do not no what to do anymore. i've talked to so many people about this, and have tried so many different things to help both her and i. But im at the point where i need to help myself. I dont know what to do
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Who can I trust?

Hi. Everyhtign you said reminds me a little bit about me. My parents split apart when I was three. I can remember everything tho. My father is still a heavy drinker. I know how it is to feel like your nothing. I visit my siblings that live with him and he still makes me feel like I'm nothing, even if I'm only there for a few hrs.

It'll get better. I promise.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

Hi Hanzy....

I attended Alateen for a few meetings back in the day. It helped me put my mom's drinking into perspective.

Today, you may find you are too old for Alateen ... if so, I urge you to seek out an Alanon meeting. Many of us around the tables of Alanon ALSO had drinking parents.

Even after the passage of many years, those of us affected still vividly remember some of the "stuff" we had to tolerate.

You will find support and maybe even some ideas about how not to get tangled in the things she does because of her drinking.

My own mom eventually quit drinking, but not until after I was long gone from home.... today, we have a wonderful relationship. But at your age, I would have said the odds of that happening were NONE. Had I attended Alanon, perhaps I could have felt more love toward my mom, and not so much anger.

I wish you the best.

(((hugs)))
Old 02-06-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
up and out

((((Hanzy))))
My sister has a 17 y/o daughter who endures something very similar. The things she's told my niece, the rants, the rages, the physical violence. She's said some horrible things that a child shouldn't have to hear. I've rescued her soooooo many times.
My sister just got her first DWI in December. My niece is miserable sometimes. Al Ateen is a huge help, but if you cannot make it to meetings for whatever reason these boards are a great help. Books also help. There is a sticky at the top of one of these forums that will tell you which ones are good. Also, there is a lot of support here. : )
Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, hanzy - sorry that you are going through this, i understand that it is difficult. alanon might be a great first step for you. please take good care of yourself and remember this about your mom's alcoholism - you didn't cause it, you can't cure it, and you cannot control it.

blessings, and keep posting - k