letting go fear

Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

letting go fear

I feel embrassed to say this, but I'm still working my 1st step. Anyway, I read the following on another al-anon board just now and thought some of you might find it help too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let Go and Let God

The slogan Let Go and Let God is a declaration of faith.---faith that if we let go of our debilitating fears, our need to control, our unhealthy anger, etc, we will know peace in our lives. The more we struggle to find solutions to our problems, the bigger our problems seem. When we let go, the solutions appear.

The reason many of us cannot let go is because fear has taken hold of us. Fear is perhaps the biggest motivator behind our need to control and our unhealthy anger. Our fear that the alcoholic will die from drinking causes us to hide their supply. Fear that our family or friends will abondon us cases us to put aside our own needs to please the. Then , when others fail to meet our expectations, we become angry. Quite often irritability, bitterness and despair follow.

In Alanon we learn that we can change our fear to faith by relying on a Higher Power. Asking for help is the first step in letting go of fear. Belief that a solution will appear is next: it brings a positive slant to our thinking instead of a negative one. Positive energy is a key ingredient in developing faith.

As we practive letting go and letting God take charge in our lives, answers to our questions to come to light. They may not be the answers that we want, but we soon realize that they are the answers that we need. Faith begins to take root. Our need to control others diminishes as we recognize that they have a Higher Power working in their lives too: they dont need us to run the show. When this happens, we know we have truly begun to Let Go and Let God.

Fear stretches our problems way out of proportion. Faith shrinks them down to manageable size. Projecting what will happen is no longer an option. What we are meant to know, we will find out when the time is right: only God knows what that is. For today we will Let Go and Let God---Our serenity depends upon it.

F.M.M.
March 92
Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LiLL, I work my first step every single day. I've been attending Al-Anon 18 months now.

((()))
Old 02-05-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fear stifles many things - including change. Often times, I believe the saying is true about "you have nothing to fear but fear itself" in the aspect of we make things out to be much worse than they actually turn out - at least this is what I've found to be true in my own experiences.

Faith is hard when you don't have the trust and belief to release it and give to your HP.

Thanks for sharing the post.