i REALLY need advice, please read

Old 02-03-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i REALLY need advice, please read

hello. i'm actually someone who has been sober for his entire life. recently, ive fallen in love with a girl who used to be addicted to hard drugs. after getting caught with them by the cops, she stopped using them. mainly because she was put in a drug courts program which included regular drug testing, therapy, etc. as well as probation. she hasn't touched a hard drug for about a year and a half or so now. she's really gotten her life on track. she recently started cosmetology school after doing really well in community college for a semester. unfortunately, she did have a few beers one night, and (unfortunately again) she was drug tested the next day, it was sent to the lab, and it came back positive. so what WOULD happen is she'd probably be in jail for about a week and have to start her program over and get some community service and such. BUT when she went to jail, they ran her name through the system. what came up was a warrant out for her arrest from the old city she used to live in when she did hard drugs. she had a warrant out for issuing bad checks. the thing is though that she did this BEFORE getting on probation and BEFORE ever getting caught for drugs. so even though they found out about this now, it shouldn't be considered a violation of probation...right?
i'm just really scared. scared for her. i just really hope they dont keep her in jail for longer. her aunt and uncle are trying to take care of the whole thing...could they pay off however much the bad checks were for and have it dismissed? that would be ideal...and they WOULD do it too, because they know how far she has come and how much she has changed. i just need some sort of idea about what is going to happen. it wouldn't make sense for them to kick her out of her drug program, considering she issued these checks BEFORE she started the program, and it is not a drug charge. i am just so scared for her and for us. she has come such a long way and doesn't deserve this. can someone give me an idea about what could happen?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IMO, someone in recovery would accept whatever is decided as a consequence of behavior, whether it's in the past or not.

That said, I hope it goes well for her, as it does sound like she's turning her life around. Think good thoughts and try not to project all the what ifs.

Glad you're here - I'm sure others who have been through this will chime in, too.

Take care.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You being scared for her isn't going to change the situation. I'd suggest you let go and let God. I'm sure courts deal with this kind of thing all the time. I am sure they will take into account all that she has done with her life.

But I have to wonder why a person who's tried to turn their life around wouldn't acknowledge this past warrant. I'm not trying to be judgemental but just seems that this kind of thing will always comes back to haunt a person one way or another.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Let me grow up.

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that any warrants that are prior to her involvement with hard drugs wouldn't be a cause for concern as far as her recovery program goes. As for just paying off the bad checks, I don't think that's how that works but I'll pray that it is. Wish you the best of luck and welcome to this site. It's a great resource with people who understand and care. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more concrete advice.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

part of recovery is cleaning up the past. it will all play out exactly like it should and then she can start with a fresh slate. maybe she should also check out any other charges that she may have incurred during her using days and get it all out in the open and dealt with.

she has to take responsibility for her past actions during using, and get on with her recovery.

best wishes to you both
Old 02-03-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

She will have to deal with what is still unresolved in her past , then proceed with her recovery.

Good luck to both of you. Keep reading and posting here!