new here...

Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here...

I'm so glad I finally found a place where I can talk to people who can relate in some way to what I'm going through.

This area doesn't provide enough space for me to tell you my entire life, so I'm just going to type until I can't anymore. Please bear with me, today is a bad day for me!!

My immediate problem is this:

My mother has been an alcoholic for about 13 years now. (I am 25).
I couldn't wait to finish school to leave the house, and that is exactly what I did.

To make a very long story short... my partner and I are now in a situation where my mom is living with us for about a month.
It has been about 2 days and already I feel like I'm going insane.
She has been so drunk and I can't stand it.

We have two large dogs and I'm so scared that she is too drunk to handle them and won't be able to keep them from running out the gate. This is but one of the problems.

This morning she called me, because she couldn't find her car keys, not knowing that she used them last night.

She doesn't care about anything. She wants to invite 3 young children over to play, but she doesn't seem to understand that our dogs don't like children and they might get hurt.

I don't know what to do... this is causing issues between my partner and me.

I tried to talk to my mother yesterday, but she got defensive and angry (pure trait of an alcoholic).

The reason why we are living together:

My partner and I have been looking for a bigger place to move to.

My mom is an estate agent. In her package she gets a free townhouse. The townhouse that she was supposed to move to was supposed to be vacant from the 1st of February, but the guy refused to move out. Then a place went open for her to temporarily move to. This place was the perfect place that my partner and I had been looking for.

So we decided that when she moves to her original place, we will move in there. I called my current owner to give notice to move, but then he said that he wants to sell and we should move immediately.

So, now we are all bundled together and not really in a sense that she is living with us, because we don’t pay rent yet.

Do you see the dilemma? Also, because she is the agent for the unit, it makes it very difficult.

I wish I could just explain how it feels to see her that way. It feels like she is a 49 year old teenager. She is not very hygienic, I must say I haven’t actually seen her take a shower or bath since we’re moved. The kitchen is dirty with spilt alcohol on the counters when we get home. The house is already starting to reek, cause of all the things that she is addicted to, it has be cheap wine.

I just need help, I need to cope and I need to feel safe in my environment.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Trinity! Welcome to SR.
Keep reading and posting - there's a lot of support and wisdom to be found here.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you can afford it, and it's available - find another place to live with your partner until the present unit can be yours alone.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I responded on your other post....

But Welcome again!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi !! Welcome to SR..