Don't know if mom and dad are alcoholics

Old 04-14-2003, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kelltra

Don't know if mom and dad are alcoholics

Hi I am new here. I am 27 with my own family. My mother and father have drank all my life. But the have always worked paid their bills and gave me what I needed. Now that I have children I would like them to cut back on the drinking. They drink beer everyday after work and on weekends they are drunk. Holidays they are drunk, camping trips they are drunk ect.. they are not mean when they are drinking, but it gets on my nerves. My mom won't watch the kids to much for me because she knows I don't like when she drinks. My parents often forget important things I tell them. My husband quit drinking, but his fater is a major alcoholic. When I compare my parentsw to him it does not seem like they have that big of a problem. I am confused, I don't say anything to my parents about how I feel because they get mad. Do they have a big problem or not. Thanks for listening

Old 04-14-2003, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kelltra and welcome to the recovery forum!!

This is a wonderful group of people that share about their experiences. I can't answer your question about whether your parents are alcoholics or not. I have struggled with this question in my own situation with my husband. I guess I have learned that the label doesn't matter. If their drinking bothers you then there is a problem. I understand that many alcoholics are highly functional and have jobs and meet their responsibilities.

I sense that they already know how you feel, but perhaps they are unsure how serious you are about your concerns. This is something you will need to sort out for yourself. Do you feel safe leaving your children with your parents as caretakers? If not, you have to accept the inconvenience of finding another babysitter.

Others will be by soon to welcome you and give you the benefit of their experience. take care....
Old 04-14-2003, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Kelltra and welcome.

Whether they are or not, is out of your control. Aside from protecting your children by not putting them in the care of these people, there is not much you can do for them.

But you can do some good things for yourself. Have you ever been to a A.C.A. (Adult Child of Alcoholic) meeting? It is also a 12-step meeting and the people there have all been where you (and your husband) are. Give it a try - my guess is that you will find great literature and understanding there).

And certainly feel free to join us here. Read some of the posts, read the "sticky" posts at the top and you will find some great stuff that may help.

Glad you came, and hope you stick around to share with us.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kelltra

So glad you found this site. You'll get lots of support from the wonderful people on this board.

Just wanted to welcome you.

Lyn