Looking forward to being sober...

Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking forward to being sober...

This is what Christopher, my husband, told me today. I am so happy! He's seeing his doctor, taking his medication, and looking forward to being the 'only guy who doesn't drink' at functions. This is something I never thought I would hear him say and he said it! He says that he will be taken much more seriously now that he won't be drinking. He's talking about work situations mainly. I agreed that, yes, people will be more inclined to approach you and you'll definitely get more clients if you are at get-togethers, parties, whatever and you're the guy who's not smashed. It will make a world of difference. Why else are we going through all the living in different states business (he's away for job training/new job) if you aren't going to put your all into your work? He agrees. Why make these sacrifices for no reason, right? I guess it took him going away and being on his own for awhile for him to see the light. Not exactly the way I wished it would
happen, but if this is what it took then so be it.

I also have to say it is so nice to actually have the two of us agreeing on this for a change! I can see how much his thinking has cleared lately. It makes such a difference when you aren't talking to someone who is in a perpetual fog.

I'm so looking forward to him being home in a few days. It will be a short trip, only 5 days, but we'll make the most of it!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Update...

He had a function, somewhat work related, tonight and he did NOT drink. He says he was offered drinks and turned them down. Wasn't even interested. He even mentioned trying to talk to one of the other men there and how hard it was because the guy was drunk. 'Now you know how I feel!' is what I told him.

I am really starting to think that his bid for sobriety may truly work this time. I know it's only been three days, but he has to start somewhere. God, I hope I'm not on here soon sobbing about a relapse.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

sending prayers and encouragement to you and your husband. k
Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's wonderful news, D&BL, I'm keeping him and you in my prayers.

Mike
Old 01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful!

That's really great! Your story gives hope to the rest of us struggling to get by. Good luck and keep us posted!