Snows Days are Perfect for Self Care

Old 01-21-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Snows Days are Perfect for Self Care

It's been snowing here for most of the day. I like snowy days because it gives me a license to be lazy. When the first flakes started to fall, I ditched the idea of grocery shopping. That can wait for another day. Then I ditched the idea of cleaning my house, too. That also can wait for another day.

Instead, I colored my hair (buh-bye gray) and tried out a new style (not too shabby), then decided to make a big pot of home-made vegetable soup. My mom always made us soup on snowy days. We'd come home after a long commute in the cold and we'd always be welcomed by something warm and soothing.

I've got some biscuits in the oven. In a few minutes my daughter and I will be sitting on the couch enjoying big bowls of vegetable soup and hot biscuits with butter and honey, snuggling under some warm blankies with our poochies at our sides, and watching a movie. We got three movies in the mail yesterday (Netflix, don'tcha just love em?). And since I've been too lazy to take down the Christmas tree, I think I'll turn the tree on, turn off the overhead lights, light a few candles, and then settle in for a relaxing movie, just me and my gal.

But first, the dogs have gathered at the door for a quick romp in the snow. Gotta let them out and watch them play from the warmth of my kitchen. Like I said, I love snowy days. Wish it would have snowed a foot....

Night all.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds serene, content, and very healthy!!!!

enjoy your evening. it's raining here, but we have a winter advisory out.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG sweets ... you just described one of the most perfect days.

My daughter called me on Sat. Morning and asked if I would be home (I had plans and alot to get done, I was supose to ge gone for the weekend) and of course I said sure... I will be home. She came over and we just sat on the couch and chatted about life... she then fell asleep and it was like it always was with us close, comfortable... I dont have words to describe it, How do I explain this depth of love. I miss her SO much since she has moved out.... this was such a gift.

I love lazy days.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that you were able to spend time with your daughter. I know how much that meant to you. My daughter will be 21 in a few months and will soon leave the nest. I so dread that day. I wish she'd stay with me forever. She has been such a blessing. I often think back to that special day 20 years ago and thank God for giving her to me. My life started the day she was born. Only another mother would understand the depths of such feelings and the absolutely endless love we feel for our children.

The movie was "Finding Neverland" with Johnnie Depp. What a magical adventure and a touching film. No wonder it was nominated for 7 academy awards and winner of best screen play.

If you haven't had an opportunity to see it, I highly recommend it. And please do save it for a lazy, snowy day.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have not seen it and might just have to buy it so I have it on hand when she decides to come home again.

I soooo know what you mean about the depths of such feelings. I just sat there rubbing her leg that hurt and watching her sleep.... This is the most beautiful person I know.... Inside and out.

I have said this before and I still feel the same. When my daughter was born the breath of the holy spirit was given her.... there is just no other way to explain her.... it is something deep within her that humbles me.....

OHHHHHH and btw hell did freeze over, there was snow in the Valley of the sun. Anyone that has been to Phoenix in the summer would understand the hell....
Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
So glad to hear that you were able to spend time with your daughter. I know how much that meant to you. My daughter will be 21 in a few months and will soon leave the nest. I so dread that day. I wish she'd stay with me forever. She has been such a blessing. I often think back to that special day 20 years ago and thank God for giving her to me. My life started the day she was born. Only another mother would understand the depths of such feelings and the absolutely endless love we feel for our children.

The movie was "Finding Neverland" with Johnnie Depp. What a magical adventure and a touching film. No wonder it was nominated for 7 academy awards and winner of best screen play.

If you haven't had an opportunity to see it, I highly recommend it. And please do save it for a lazy, snowy day.

Hi Doormat:

You should see the doormat on my front doorstep - it says "please wipe your paws" and has pawprints. I'm not really into cute, but I had to buy it. Your username and "wipe your paws somewhere else" give it new meaning to me

I hear you on the daughters. I am so close to mine, especially the younger one, 19. We are best friends. Don't worry about yours moving out, she'll call you all the time and those moments you do get together will be all that more special.

And its snowing like crazy. Think I'll make some soup.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Any day is perfect for self-care. I used to think I was being selfish, but I've replaced that word now with self-CARE. We definitely don't do it enough!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree. Now, I gotta run. Idol is on!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Oh how I miss the snow! Its rainy here tonight though, so Im making the most of it
Old 01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like snow days too. We've had a few here recently.

I've also found a Sunday afternoon nap to be a very important spiritual activity. Put on some Miles Davis or Chet Baker and lay on the couch, dozing and drifting in and out. I don't get enough days like that.

Someone once told me that true self-love is doing what you know to be good for you.
Jim
Old 01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds nice, I think we all could use days like that more often!! I miss the serenity that snow brings... best wishes always.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
I've also found a Sunday afternoon nap to be a very important spiritual activity. Put on some Miles Davis or Chet Baker and lay on the couch, dozing and drifting in and out. I don't get enough days like that.
Sounds fabulous. The only thing that could improve on that scenario is turning on the gas fireplace and having my pups join in on the siesta. Now if only my gas fireplace would snap, crackle, and pop like and fill the room with the aroma of a log-burning fireplace.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elizabeth1979 View Post
Oh how I miss the snow! Its rainy here tonight though, so Im making the most of it
I like the sound of the rain hitting the roof. I find it soothing. I also like knowing that it's cold and wet outside yet I'm warm and comfy under a nice, soft blankie.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when i had a laundry facility built on the property here, i had a metal roof put on it....when it rains...guess where i am??? now i just need a feather bed out there.

and doormat...i found some canned gel to put in the fireplace that snaps crackles and pops just like the real thing. no wood smell tho. now i just have to figure out what kind of dinner to burn that would smell like burning wood. i'd have it made.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Now we're talking. I'll have to get my hands on that and give it a try. Perhaps you could whip up a batch of home-made barbecued beef or pork and find a recipe that includes liquid smoke in the barbecue sauce. That would probably do the trick.

Then all you'd need is some fresh potato rolls and cole slaw to pile on top of the sandwiches. Oh boy, here I go obsessing about food again.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

what makes for a really good Sunday afternoon nap is when it is a rainy Sunday afternoon. We get a lot of those in this part of the country, so I figure I may as well make the best of them.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yankee Candle makes a scent called 'Fireside'. It's been brought back by popular demand for a limited time and can only be purchased online or via internet. It might be worth it. It smells like the real thing!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
what makes for a really good Sunday afternoon nap is when it is a rainy Sunday afternoon. We get a lot of those in this part of the country, so I figure I may as well make the best of them.
I agree, Jimbo. I also enjoy Sunday afternoon naps on blustery winter days where I can fall asleep to the sound of the wind howling through the trees. Or coming inside--red-faced and frozen--after shoveling the walk and having my daughter greet me at the door with a steamy cup of hot chocolate and a plate of buttered toast to dip into it.

It's a cold night here in the Washington area. The temperature has dipped to the teens and the wind is howling. It sure would be nice to have a warm body to cuddle up to. Maybe that will happen one day in my future. For now, my pups will have to do.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogandbooklover View Post
Yankee Candle makes a scent called 'Fireside'. It's been brought back by popular demand for a limited time and can only be purchased online or via internet. It might be worth it. It smells like the real thing!
Thanks for the info. Got hurry up and order one for myself before they're all gone until next winter.