Went to first Alanon meeting today

Old 01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to first Alanon meeting today

I went to my first Alanon meeting tonight. Cried the whole time. But I felt better. It was good to just let it all out, and receive compassion and support from others who have been there. I was fine for about the first 15 minutes (near tears but able to hold back) until a woman shared her story and it sounded JUST LIKE ME! It hit so close to home that I just couldn't stop the flow of tears anymore. I havent shed a single tear since I kicked ABF out Thursday. I guess I was due. All part of the healing process I am told.

His best friend called here tonight from Hawaii (looking for A) and told me that I can do so much better and will be ok. He tried to cheer me up by telling me he would send me a plane ticket to Hawaii strictly for a booty call and he would text the flight details to me through A's cell phone so he would know our plans. I had to laugh. (And yes he was just kidding--he would never cheat on his wife or hurt his best friend) he made me feel better tho'. It was nice to hear that even tho' he is A's friend he knows how much I hurt and he's mad at A for putting me through this. And even tho' he didn't have to he talked to me until I was cheered up. (He hung up saying he would call me at 1am my time to make it an "official booty call" from 2500 miles away. I told him just to text A and have him give me the message. LOL)

So I feel better for now.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

that's so great dobie....just keep going back. al-anon saved my life. and that is no exageration.

someday, i'll tell you what it was like for my first two times of joining, but i will tell you this, i was not a happy camper. i went in with full commando suit on, might as well had black camo marks on my face and sprigs of leafage in my helmet. went in growling and cussin at everyone.

but eventually, i came round.....cause, i'm tellin ya, i had no where else to go except in the mental hospital.

love to you
jeri
Old 01-20-2007, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

...until a woman shared her story and it sounded JUST LIKE ME! It hit so close to home.....
It's called identifying. Ain't it cool ? Well, except for the crying part. You're not alone. Others have been through this and know JUST how you feel.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One woman (the one I had to borrow a tissue from!) told me afterwards it took her about 5 meetings before she could make it through without crying. I felt like a dork but everybody was so nice and came up to me afterwards to offer encouragement and hugs. So even tho' I left in tears it really did help.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dobie, I am so happy for you!!! See? It DOES help! You will find people there who share your story; they WILL lend you the sincere support you need. Good going!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Who can I trust?

You story reminds me of the first time I went to a meeting. I made it all the way thru but then this one woman shared and it was all over after that. I felt silly being the only guy there. But afterwards I realized that it doesnt matter.