have you ever wondered how others got their screen name?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Who can I trust?

My log name came from the nick name this one girl used toc all me at meetings. Same girl from my story. I guess Its the last thing I'm holding onto.
After seeing someothers on here, I could of done better.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Start at Luke Chapter 15, Verse 11

It is the parable of the prodigal son. He left his wealthy father. He ended up slopping hogs, and that was the bottom of the rung. But when he realized he had hit his bottom; I mean, a wealthy young Jewish boy messing around with pork??? oy vey!!! Anyway ... he went home to his father. But on his way home, his father saw him waaaayyyyy off in the distance. Dad commanded his servants to find his finest sandals, finest robes, and a ring to place upon the finger of his wayward son when he arrived back at the nest. There was a feast set out for him as well.

This kid had taken his inheritance and partied to the max. But when he returned home, stinking of pig slop, his dad welcomed him with open arms. The kid had hit his bottom, yet dad welcomed him home, simply because he was willing to admit he desperately wanted and needed his father's love.

I am not preaching here what anyone should believe. It is simply the analogy of my own life. I have sat down and drank myself to oblivion with drunks. I have doped myself to oblivion with dopers. I have been a tramp for a buck. I have lied to manipulate people to believe I was more than, and better than, I am.

Still, without beating up on me, I was welcomed home, warts and all. I didn't have to beat up on myself anymore. I didn't have to look around the room self-righteously, hands-on-hips, and yell, "Okay, so who is responsible for THIS mess?" I just had to admit I was a mess.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow Prodigal! I always wondered why you chose that name. As was mentioned already, some of us have self-explanatory names while others have caught my curiosity.

StandingStrong.........well, the name I originally had picked was taken. So, this was my second choice. When I came here, I was in a beaten mood but had made up my mind about something. I was determined to have a better life - with or without my AH. At the time I came here, I was a confused, angry, and bitter mess - it was the anger and the bitter pain that kept me strong then. Today, it's my recovery.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

At the time I joined SR - I could barely make it day to day, sometimes only hour to hour.

Sometimes I am still in the day by day mode so the names still fits.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
ICU

ICU = Intensive Care Unit.

At the time I chose my nic, I was desperately in need of intensive care. But the playful side of me thought it could also mean 'I See You'! I guess it's good to know that even in my darkest days I hadn't totally lost my sense of humor.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've travelled a lot and lived in other places, but I always feel most in my skin when I'm in New England (where I was born, raised, and still live). Feels like home.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Mine is my first initial and I am a scuba diver.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I picked kindredspiritgrl because well im kinda a loner. Im not one of those people who have a ton of friends. Ive always had a few good friends,but I have always been a loner. I feel ties and connectedness with people and they talk to me and i can feel them. I guess it should be woman instead of girl but i feel like a girl, and I kinda look like my avatar cept my hair is longer and my eyes are green.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Mine is just a play on my real name - no it's not chris or cross
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I find my HP and my sanity in nature. I've spent my professional life as a photographer hoping to share that with others. "DesertEyes" is a place way out in the Utah desert where the natives say you can see the gods looking back at you. Took me 14yrs but I was able to find the place, it was truly a soul-shaking experience. That pic is much too large to fit on a puter, so instead I post this other "vortex" called "Pelican point".

http://www.evanayers.com/Images/Acha/Wallpaper.jpg

Mike
Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Rainbows seem to come out right when me and my family and friends need inspiration, when we need to know we are not alone. They've been there when it was snowing, in the desert and just peaking through at the right time in a day full of clouds.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Believer

Ive had this sn for many years.. before I got clean.. The way it came about was.......well... I guess some things are better left unsaid...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hope3

Nice thread, I had hope that I could get through to me that I can live a happy and sober life, so I named myself Hope& that was taken so I just added the 3, Hope3.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Gettingbetter everyday. great thread, its amazing you can get something out of a fun thread like this. Prodigal story is one of my favorites and it still keeps being repeated.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Im Cecilia because I am Cecilia. LOL.

<insert assorted smilie>
Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Great thread, embraced.

This is the first forum I've ever joined. When I got here, didn't even cross my mind to go with something other than my name.....since then, I've thought of changing it to something like shocknawe jane or something like that.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

My name was a goal that I set for myself when I first joined the forum. I wanted to transform myself from a doormat into a FormerDoormat.

Funny thing about me. I've never been one to allow folks to take advantage of me--friends, acquaintences, coworkers, family, even my own daughter. But when it came to my alcoholic boyfriend, Richard, I let him walk all over me--but not any more.

Note the doormat on my avatar and the fat little pig-like rascal sitting on it. He can wipe his paws on it anytime. OK, so I let him walk all over me. At least he worships me in return. I like that arrangement. I found him and two of his siblings stuffed inside a cat carrier along the side of the road. I found a second cat carrier that contained two adult cats (one pregnant) and six kittens--all stuffed in one carrier and covered in fecies in 100-degree heat.

As a seasoned dog and cat rescue volunteer, I've learned to never assume that boxes and animal carriers sitting on the side of the road are empty. I've saved many lives by peaking inside. In fact, I've helped save 1,200 dogs and 600 cats. So, I'm a rescuer through and through.

These days, I limit my rescues to things that truly can't rescue themselves--homeless animals. I'll bet there are quite a few animal rescuers among our ranks here.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So impressed!
And that "pig-like rascal" is the darn cutest thing ever.
You do so much good.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Aw, thanks. His name is Marty because I found him in Martinsburg, West Virginia. But he has several nicknames, among them Pig-man (because he has a Pug-like *****-Pig curly tail) and Fat-Boy because of his portly physique.

Don't know why the editor blanked out that word. It was Por-key-Pig.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

My name was my cry out when I first signed up, and still not sure if I'll get him back... he's trying and I'm trying, but the old him is still gone. I have always looked at everyone's names and tried to figure them out, I love this thread.