Diarrhea

Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Exabf had straight water poops for the last 4 yrs. He would poop his pants at least twice a month. We used to carry a spare set of clothes with extra sets of underware in the car. He also urinated in the bed..would last for a week or so then stop andstart up again a month or so later. He wouldnt hardly eat..a few pieces of lunch meat; some dinner and lots of beer. Makes me sad to know that it will just get worse for him. I cant imagine not being able to control your bowel..hoping he eventually finds sobriety.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear mtmomma, I am a medical professional--(PA), and have dealt with patients with gastrointestinal problems--including many active alcoholics. Yes, alcohol, in itself alone, can cause diahrrea--as many of the other posters have testified from their own experience.

However, it is worrysome that your husband's symptoms have been going on for some time.
It is particularly concerning that his daily food intake is sooo low--along with his reluctance to even drink and smoke as much. His body is vulnerable to various diseases from malnutrition as well as sometimes deadly electrolyte imbalances.

I know you are worried--and, for very good reason! I know he is not very cooperative and is reluctant to seek care.

I can share with you what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would do whatever it takes to get him into a medical detox facility (hospital/medical setting)---no matter how drastic---and, I would ignore whatever he thought of me for doing it. Because his life is at stake. And, it sounds like "gentle persuasions" don't have much effect on him.

This is what I would do. I realize that you will have to make your own decisions, of course.

I wanted to share these thoughts with you. I understand how difficult your position is.

sincerely, dandylion
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

bump up
Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

dandylion,

This thread is from 2007. I doubt the OP is still around to read.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for your experience, strength and hope. Before the thread deviates into medical advice I am going to close it.

Mike
Moderator, SR