question regarding HIgher Power

Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question regarding HIgher Power

hoping someone can help me with this one....say you were in al-anon and you met someone and you two really hit it off well and things began to go in a wonderful direction......and one day while in the church you hear quite plainly...."Let "them" Go". what would you do? my confusion is was this like a warning sign to let them go in an al-anon kind of way? or just cut the ties and say, well, my higher power told me to. i have been wrestling with this, although it has made me keep them at arms length (somewhat)....anybody have any good insight?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

What I think about hearing an inner voice telling me what to do would depend on several things. First of all it would depend on my concept of who God is. I do believe that many people have 'gut' feelings and various means where they are guided to certain action. I myself would not follow such words unless they lined up with the written words of my faith in the bible. If there were no logical reasons-based on truth, to back it up, I would also be less likely to follow such an inclination. It might be just a random thought... and yes on the other hand I do believe that God speaks to us. There is no way outside of faith to understand such things and the risk of following a 'voice' is high and moreso when what you are 'hearing' is vague. Do you let the situation go or let the person go? Time and prayer will give me the answers I need when I am undecided.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Because Im a Codie I need more then that to make a decision... cuz my insides will start to twist up the moment Im triggered and get scared.

Time and prayers work for me....
Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When in despair we look to our higher power for answers, messages anything to help us.
When life is going good these messages still come or I guess we feel we still get them. I am wired to interpet the negative. I have had to make myself rethink and reprocess my messages.
So you might interpet your message as "get away from this person"
OR could it be saying let yourself go, let the negative thoughts go, be free, ride the wave and it actually has nothing to do with this new person.
I lived with my ex AH for 23 years, so I definatly had to reprogram my thoughts. I have been in a new relationship for 2 years. I thought I was getting messages all the time. I had to free myself, let it ride. It was very hard to do as I had to always be in control of the situation.
I was sitting in church one day carrying the burdens of the world and the pastor said "let god take the yolk of the burdens that are hanging on your shoulders and be free". That hit me and I felt as though the weight of the world was lifted.
It is strange how we get these messages and what we do with them.
I still have my days, I don't think I ever realized how much of an impact having an alcoholic in my life would have even after they are gone.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i agree with cynay...i can't trust my inner voice yet enough to make immediate decisions based upon that voice.....given any issue, i will still waller it, wad it around, bury it, dig it up and drag it around awhile, bury it again, get it out and chew it some more.....so, i too, just have to wait...and pray.

then, after wearing myself out with all the wallerin....and a lot of praying....the answer will become crystal clear for me.

time and prayers.....yup, yup, yup
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My therapist tells me I have that voice so blocked that God could plant a neon blinking sign in my driveway telling me what I need to do and I still wouldn't get the message. So I understand your confusion, escape. What she tells me to do is practice every day, knowing that God wants to help me, wants to talk to me. So I try to set some time aside every day to meditate, to get quiet, slow waaay down, and listen for guidance. Some days I feel nothing, other days I come away with a new insight. I agree with the others: time and prayer. Also messages can come from anywhere, often I'll catch something on the radio or on TV or a billboard or see something on the sidewalk that manages to tell me something I need to know. In prayer and mediatation, take what comes. No one ever said God can't speak to us through our imagination.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so much like Cynay and Embraced in my thinking right now. Codie , I am!!!! It would probably take more than that for me too. Let go and Let God............
Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On a tear

When I am unsure, I pray for clarity... and I tell my HP to speak LOUD - so I can really be sure.

((hugs))
Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for all your insight. i will keep praying for more clarity as well as forgiveness for being rather obstinate- i don't WANT to give him up!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Royalty

I am not a believer..... but I do believe we already have the answers, we just don't want to hear them. By "them" , do you mean the alcoholics, yours and your new friends As? Don't you think you already knew this?

What do you think that thought meant? ........

There's your answer. No one else can interpret it for you.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I try to remember that God knows my heart. I believe that there is no rush to try to follow a directive that you do not understand. If you truely want to follow what He is telling you, He knows that and will give you all the information you need as He sees necessary. In the meantime, continue to seek Him and be open to hear Him.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

whisper

From what I've read, GOD speaks in a whisper so you have to listen very hard and very carefully.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

I agree with Mark. I've always found God to be that small quiet voice... I also had a question. Who were you to let go? Were they identified by name?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think the depth of the message is in it's simplicity. I think you also know exactly what this message means. God is not mysterious. I guess I'd say the message means this....do not invest your self, do not feel guilt, do not expect anything for any further investment, further time spent is furthr time wasted. It sounds to me like you have been given permission to walk away from this person. As a matter of fact, it sounds like you are being commanded to walk away. In the spitual world, I believe "people" can be opportunities. God will not spend you on someone else. You were an opportunity that was taken for granted. Move on.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think of Step 11 - Seek through prayer and meditation what God's will is for us, and ask for the power to carry that out. Pray for clarity - clarity to see if this relationship is a good thing or a bad thing. Pray for God to either bless it or block it. Also Step 3 - as we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, He will lead us into what His will is for us, and lead us away from what his will is not for us.