Article about my husband and me

Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

Article about my husband and me

This was in my local paper today. I hope you are all doing ok. I'm doing. lol Take care, Janet

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dl...053/NEWSREWIND
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Janet, thank you so much for sharing the article and your story. I'm so sorry for your loss, but being an alcoholic I can identify with Tom's depression and suicide attempts. His actions show how deadly the disease of alcoholism is.

God bless you for taking care of, and protecting yourself. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Scott
Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Janet))) Thank you for sharing this.....it was beautifully written.

Tom's struggle and death have not been in vain....many people are and will be helped by your sharing of his/your story.

hugs and prayers going out to you.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mec

Wow... thank you for sharing this with us... I know how you feel.. I am new to this and I can see me in your story. This is how I feel I have met the man of my dreams. He is everything that I asked for and then some. I just hope that he will wake up one day and not harm himself. But I know he is going to do what he needs to do and I can not stop him. I just ask God everyday to guide him and I to do the right thing.

Thanks again...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those of us who go through this have our own type of hell, but I have no guilt,” she said. “His alcoholism and suicide does not define me. He was the nicest human being I’d ever met, and I knew he would die — it was just a question of when.”

That is such a scary thought.

thanks for sharing
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Janet,

Thank you for sharing that. I am so sorry for your loss and the struggles you went through. I love the courage you have and I hope it is helping you to heal.

Wishing you a wonderful 2007.

doll
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

janet, thank you. it is an important message, and takes a brave person to carry it. blessings - k
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

(((Janet))

Thank you for sharing this. I dont tear up as much as I used to, but this brought the tears. You are an amazing woman with great strength and character.

You are right, some souls are truly too fragile for this world.

Much Love, Sarah
Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Janet))) You are full of courage....don't ever lose that.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

Originally Posted by minuet View Post
Those of us who go through this have our own type of hell, but I have no guilt,” she said. “His alcoholism and suicide does not define me. He was the nicest human being I’d ever met, and I knew he would die — it was just a question of when.”

That is such a scary thought.

thanks for sharing

Yes, Minuet, it is a scary thought. But it's one of the risks of addiction. Some addicts get sick and tired and finally quit the drink/drug. Others get sick and tired and quit life. My husband was the latter unfortunately. But they were human beings with feelings and hurts. They were not monsters. People have to remember that. WE who loved them have to remember that. They were just as sick as the cancer victim and just as deserving of compassion. And sometimes those of us that love them have to make the decision NOT to die with them and that's what I did.

I have described my husband as a train wreck waiting to happen. I tried for a long time to slow that train down but it was starting to speed out of control and it was becoming to dangerous. I either had to let go and save myself or keep holding on and crash with it.

My husband so appreciated my love for life. He often said that was what kept him going at times. How could I let die what he loved about me the most? He had so much he felt guilty about already and there was no way I would add my demise to his list. I know he's watching me from above and I know he will so enjoy watching me live my life to the fullest. I know I'll see him again someday and I'll make sure I have so much to tell!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow. You are such a courageous person. Thank you for sharing. It seems like you have found some peace. I sincerely hope that you keep it and your strength. You are someone others can use as a model. God bless you.

Roni
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Janet)))

You're an amazing woman and thank you so much for sharing your story. I believe your Tom has found the peace he couldn't find in this life.

huge hugs from another survivor ~

deedee
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing. i've been carrying around a lot of anger for AH frequently forgetting he is a real person but he has a disease. compassion for him has been another difficult thing for me to feel towards him. I am in recovery, and intelluctally I know he has a disease and that I'd expected way too much as far as his recovery went. I just said today to someone that I believe his bottom would be death as loosing his wife, home, car and children who will not speak to him and yet it's business as usual. Reading your the article about your life reminded me priority is to rid myself of anger and resentments. I swear I've been trying but I will now think of Tom and what he had to do to end his pain. thanks for helping me see what I need to really do.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am at a loss for words. That was some very heavy stuff.

*Hugs*
Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Janet, your story deeply touches my heart and my prayers go out for you and your family. I'm sorry for your pain and inspired by your courage.

Hugs
Old 01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Janet,

I am so very sorry and I send you and your family lots of prayers.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((Janet)))

Thank you for sharing the story with us. Your compassion inspires me. I'm sorry for your loss...and pray that Tom has finally found the peace he was looking for.

Hugs and prayers...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thanks for sharing your story, i am sorry for your loss, keeping you and your family in my prayers
Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Coming here to share your pain and your strength has helped so many. I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult this had been for you. All I can do is thank you for having the courage to share with us, and let you know that you and Tom's spirit are in my prayers everyday.

Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I dont have the words at the moment.

Thank you.