Extremely OT - Help!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extremely OT - Help!

My son has a science project where he needs to find analogies of various cell parts, and he has to explain how they are the same. We are stumped on the follow cell part.....

Nucleolus
nuclear membrane
golgi bodies
and Lysomes

Can anyone help???? please?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Yikes! I have no idea, I was never very good at Science..can you google??
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi...I did a search and came up with some sites...here is the first one. Maybe it (or others) can help! Good luck!

http://library.thinkquest.org/12413/structures.html

(Know anyone else in the class who has found any good sources??)
Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope this bit of info. helps

I'm going to keep this on a fundamental level, unlike the description in my college biology text. Yes, a genuine math moron who aced bio and chem in college - go figure!

Cells contain a nucleus - think of the nucleus as the control center. Within the nucleus of a cell is CHROMATIN and a strucure called the nucleolus. Chromatin is DNA in its active form, which means it is stable and not about to replicate itself at present. DNA is a protein chain made up of a specific series of proteins. The active form of DNA is looped around hitone proteins. The NUCLEOLUS is a knot of CHROMATIN. It is the nucleolus that manufactures ribosomes. Okay, forget about a description of ribosomes because you want to know about lyosomes . ...

The golgi body has the job of "packaging" proteins for the cell. The proteins that are produced in the cell pass into a sack-like area that composes the main part of the golgi body. These proteins are then squeezed off into tiny pieces that drift around in the liquid-like cytoplasm (body) of the cell.

LYSOSOMES are produced by the GOLGI BODY. They have a single membrane that surrounds digestive enzymes.

Is this any help? I don't want to get into any overwhelming detail, which can be confusing. I hope this is an okay description of how these cellular parts are interrelated. Oh, you wanted to know about the nuclear membrane too.

The nuclear membrane keeps the cell's nucleus isolated from its cytoplasm. This membrane is rather smart because it only allows certain substances to enter and exit the nucleus.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you mean like this, the nuclear membrane is like a protector to the brain of the cell like the skull is a protector to our brain? The nucleolus is computer command center to the cell , like our brain is the computer command center to our body?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, m-cup

Your analogy makes one heckuva lot more sense than my so-called scientific explanation! Did great in science, but obviously don't know how to explain it in a way that makes much sense!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you soooo much for your help.

We were totally stumped on Nucleolus. After your help and a few hours of looking up analogies on the internet.....I think we got them all!!

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

prod????? mallow????? ummmm.....dang.....how'd you know that stuff???

yer holdin out on us????? wow, is all i can say.