Experience and wisdom appreciated: "Working the program"

Old 04-06-2003, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adrielle

Smile Experience and wisdom appreciated: "Working the program"

[This is my first post here, Hi! I am grateful to find this site.] Next month I celebrate my 8th anniversary with Adult Children of Alcoholics (our group is affiliated with Alanon).

For many reasons (both for myself and for our group) I feel called to talk about "working the program," specifically what that means, and how we can look at ourselves to determine whether or not we are working the program. I'm posting here because my tendencies are as an addict, and there is no ACA thread. I do suffer from codependent tendencies, but I was trained to be an addict and those tendencies are more dangerous/ deadly for me. My question is threefold. I'll give my first draft answers to the questions I am asking myself to get this thread jump-started:

1. What does it mean, to "work the program"
    2. What signs are there that you are not working the program? :p
      3. How can you tell if you are "working the program"

You and your Higher Power are on a first-name. The needs that we once filled with our addictions are now pointed in a new direction.

Well I've spent enough time jump-starting this. Just enough time to soak in some of the Colorado sunshine with my dog. I'm looking forward to finding out what holes there are in this, and the creative additions. I'm leaving some of this unfinished because I'd really like to hear your answers. Thanks in advance for helping me out here.

:council:

Old 04-07-2003, 08:54 AM
        # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Adrielle,

Welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing this, I'm glad you felt called to talk about it.

Hugs,
      Smoke
      Old 04-07-2003, 08:07 PM
        # 3 (permalink)  
      No More Mrs. Nice Guy

WOW!

This is good stuff. At the moment I don't have anything to add, I think you may have said it all!!

HUGS. Glad you're here

Osier59
      Old 04-08-2003, 08:48 AM
        # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, and what a great post. Sounds like you have been working your program! and have covered the bases!

I think you covered it all!
      Constant
      Old 04-17-2003, 09:00 AM
        # 5 (permalink)  
      Adrielle

A important postscript

Thank you for the complimentary words. Tomorrow is the day I'm giving the talk, and I'm trying to assemble the material I have into something organized. Then I bring that to a meeting and pray first, because who knows maybe there's something else altogether that God would rather I talk about!

But I did want to add a quick important postscript. I reread the blue book sections on working the program, and there was an important point there in the part about working the 4th step. They remind us that most of our inventory is comprised of resentments. So that is a great barometer for us about whether or not we are working the program -- whether or not our hearts are refilling with resentments or whether by and large it feels kind and loving.

Thanks again,