'Courage to Change' reading from Jan 1

Old 01-01-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

'Courage to Change' reading from Jan 1

We live in a society of instant gratification: instant coffee, instant breakfast, instant money from the local ready bank machine - it's everywhere we look! No wonder so many of us arrive at Al-Anons doors looking for the instant answer to all the problems that come from living with and loving an alcoholic.

Recovery is a process. It takes time to regain, reclaim, and recoup all that was lost while we tried on our own to cope with active drinking. Building trust takes time, chage takes time, healing old wounds takes time; there are no immediate, ready made solutions. But the tools and principles of our program-- Steps, Traditions, slogans, meetings, sponsorship, service -- can lead us to the answers that are right for us.

We all have dark times in our lives, but the journey to better times is often what makes us happier, stronger people. When we stop expecting instant relief, we may come to believe that where we are today is exactly where our Higher Power would have us be.

Today's Reminder
Al-Anon is a "One Day at a Time" program. No matter what is going on around me, today I know that I am moving forward. I will trust the process of recovery. I'll let time take time.

"If I am under pressure and setting myself deadlines, I will stop for a few minutes and think of just this one day and what I can do with it." -One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my share on the reading

This is such a wonderful read. I am thankful for Al-Anon. I am thankful for the wonderful members who remind me that 'Easy does it'. I am especially thankful for this reminder after this holiday season whereupon I have tried to effect outcomes according to my will. Easy does it. One day at a time and sometimes a few minutes at a time. Happy new year.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

I never thought of it as "Instant Gratification" before but that is SOOOO true!

Thank you!

Blue