Is Addiction Really a Disease?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It is Both..................
Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogandbooklover View Post
Just like many other need to believe it is a disease.
Interesting way of stating it.

Why do you NEED to believe it is not?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

well, in any event, we all know the effect it has had on us....the ones who love or live with an alcoholic....
Old 12-29-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

...However, I choose to stick to my belief that addiction is not a disease....
Hey DandB, you are welcome to your own opinions and I will respect them, no matter how different they may be from mine. We all have diferent views and that is exactly what makes this place on the web so valuable.

If anyone should direct any anger at you for stating your personal experience just click on the little red triangle at the lower left corner of the angry post and the Mods will take care of it.

Mike
Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post

That _first drink_ is pure and simple stupidity and selfishness. I _know_ what my drinking does to me and those who love me. It is only my own stupidity and selfishness that would lead me to take that first drink or drug.
I sure can attest to that one. Stinking thinking that is brought on by a selfisness and stupidity.
At such times it is good to have friends around that tell you...get to a meeting.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Denny - I guess I NEED to believe it's not a disease because I've seen so many family members and friends suffer and die from diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, asthma, and more. These conditions were in no way caused by a choice these people made. You don't choose to die from vaginal cancer or colon cancer or Alzheimer's (well, conditions resulting from Alzheimer's) or asthma. You can choose to drink or not to drink or smoke crack or not to smoke crack, etc. It just doesn't seem to me that addiction can be equated with diseases like that.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

DesertEyes - Thanks. ;-)
Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Denny - I guess I NEED to believe it's not a disease because I've seen so many family members and friends suffer and die from diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, asthma, and more. These conditions were in no way caused by a choice these people made. You don't choose to die from vaginal cancer or colon cancer or Alzheimer's (well, conditions resulting from Alzheimer's) or asthma. You can choose to drink or not to drink or smoke crack or not to smoke crack, etc. It just doesn't seem to me that addiction can be equated with diseases like that.
I understand. So, if someone smokes and gets lung cancer as a direct result of it, they don't really have a disease? I'm just not following the logic, that's all.

This issue has been debated many times here before, and I'm thinking will be debated again in the future as more new people join us. It's always interesting.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Denny - I knew that lung cancer and smoking would be brought up. I understand that lung cancer is a disease, but it does happen to be a disease that is caused by someone's actions. (Though there are some lung cancers not caused by smoking.) I never said that addiction didn't cause diseases, I just don't feel that addiction itself is a disease.

Yes, I will enjoy reading more posts about this in the future.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
... This issue has been debated many times here before, and I'm thinking will be debated again in the future as more new people join us.....
That's the whole purpose of Sober Recovery, and the reason why those of us who have moved on from our addicted spouses are still here. So that the new people have a place to find answers to the very same questions we arrived with. For those of us into the 12 step programs it's called "carrying the message"

Mike
Old 12-29-2006, 06:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
That's the whole purpose of Sober Recovery, and the reason why those of us who have moved on from our addicted spouses are still here. So that the new people have a place to find answers to the very same questions we arrived with. For those of us into the 12 step programs it's called "carrying the message"

Mike
Are you responding to me or posting this for others to read?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

As much as I can understand the meaning of the word "disease" and understand why alcoholism is considered a disease ------ I personally cannot wrap my mind around the concept enough to actually accept it on that term of the word. Alcoholism may be a disease. But when I think of it in the aspects of such, I find it more acceptable to myself to consider it more of a mental illness.
When one is addicted to a substance and refuses to fight to overcome that addiction - that choice, lack of will power, or whatever you call it comes from the mind.
When one continues to abuse their drug of choice and hurt those they claim to love the most - their minds play some roles in this as well. From denial, to blame, to justification, etc.
When one continues on the journey of addiction, acting as they do, and changing into a mere shell of the person they once were - again, I veiw this as something that has happened, is happening, and continues to happen in the mind.
We know that there is damage to the brain from alcohol usage and abuse.

While I am in no way even close to being educated on this subject of what alcoholism is or isn't - I can only tell you that I have a much easier time looking at alcoholism (or any other drug addiction that takes over and alters the mind) as some sort of mental illness.

This is just my opinion. I am not arguing anyone else's points on the subject nor wish to start or add to the debate. Simply sharing with all of you how I handle it best in my thought process.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

i tend to think of alcoholism as an addiction rather than a disease...altho far more educated persons than i have indeed, classified it as a disease. it is so hard for me to fathom the symptoms of any disease including mistreatment of others.

i have tried to accept it as a disease, tried to talk the talk of disease of alcoholism, but i really stuggle with doing so.

i guess certain mental illnessess are the only other diseases that would have symptoms of harming others.

jmho

jeri
Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
Are you responding to me or posting this for others to read?
Sorry denny, I meant it for _everybody_, did not mean to single you out. I meant it for _everybody_ to realize that the same subjects come up over and over again, and that even though some of us have seen the same discussions many times over we still need to remember that for the new people those are very painful and difficult issues.

I was trying to "add on" to your comments, but clearly I messed it all up. My apologies.

Mike
Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

"You may not do all that. But do people try and stop you from eating? If they did get in the way of your food how would you react? People tend to become denfensive when what they feel they need is being taken away. When someone tries to get in the way of an acoholic they end up getting hit of yelled at. If someone tried to rip the food you were eating out from your hands how would you treat them?"

Funny you should mention this, GirlInterrupted, as I was just about to post something along similar lines. I think you're right on the mark here. People DO become defensive when they fear something they need to survive is about to be taken away. Why? Because it's their coping mechanism. It helps them get through the trials and tribulations of daily life. Take away an addict's drug of choice and their anxiety level goes through the roof. And yes, Jeri, if someone tried to control my food intake or keep it from me altogether, you bet you'd see big changes in my mood and behavior. That's because without my number 1 coping mechanism, I have to face things in life that are difficult for me.

Even after I've described the abnormal hold that food has over me mentally and physically, it's obvious that folks who don't suffer from a similar compulsion have no idea what it's like, even the original poster it appears based on her comment that "eating disorders fall into a completely different category" (than addiction/alcoholism I assume).

So how, then, can folks who haven't walked the walk understand what it's like to have an addiction? And how can they have more compassion for those who do? By learning all they can about addiction.

The medical community and mental health professionals have a long history of treating folks with addiction and collectively they've classed addiction as a disease. This is not based on conjecture, but decades of intensive research. And thank God that they treat addiction as a disease and show just as much kindness and compassion for patients suffering from addiction as they do to patients suffering from cancer.

I've seen this compassion on the part of those folks who have lovingly cared for Richard during his many hospitalizations, and I'm so grateful that he wasn't classed as someone who's out of control, who's suffering was caused by his own hand, and who's therefore worth less than others or somehow less worthy of treatment and kindness.

They see him as I do--a human being who's suffering and needs help. For all of you who love an addict, I hope that as their disease progresses and begins to overtake their health and their lives that your loved ones will be treated with equal kindness and compassion by their family, friends, coworkers, and the medical community and they are not dismissed as someone who's merely selfish or out of control.

We are all equally worthy of love, kindness, and compassion. And we should always remember that there but for the grace of God go I.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
So how, then, can folks who haven't walked the walk understand what it's like to have an addiction? And how can they have more compassion for those who do? By learning all they can about addiction.
I cannot understand. That is why I am willing to listen to both those who suffer from them and those who study and work with those who do. I have nothing but compassion for anyone who suffers from any addiction. Yes, alcoholism wreaked havoc in my life, but it is killing the addict, and I know he does not choose that willingly. I KNOW it.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

FD
I dont think its a valid comparison. People forget that you can stop drinking and you can stop smoking and you can stop snorting stuff up your nose. But you cant totally give up eating. How many alcoholics would be able to stay sober if they HAD to have one drink every day just to survive.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Im not sure if its a disease or an addiction but I do think its herediary. I wish we could find a way to id those who are in danger and get treatment for them when they are young. If you knew then you might choose not to drink in the first place.

FWIW. I asked mine and he didnt realize that because his dad was an A that he stood a good chance of being one too..
Old 12-30-2006, 04:30 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

i'm so confused. feel like i'm back at square one with my understanding of alcoholism. my heart is aching again at the notion that my xah is suffering from this addiction, disease...whatever it is....and i want to get him, bring him home and love him. and just let him be.

this addiction of his frightens me beyond measure because i know he will be lost to it....well, he is lost to it....and i love him so, in spite of it.

and i know what that would be like....total living hell. it is hell with him, and it is hell without him. i can't stand to think of him out there and alone, suffering. letting go??? acceptance???? it's all out the window right now for me.

so i have addictions too....food, and my alcoholic. i am addicted to both.

and i do have deep compassion and empathy for all types of addictions, even if i didn't come accross like i do....when i'm uncertain, my fears turn into anger...and anger becomes my coping measures. not physical anger but, spouting off, sarcastic stabs, and verbal insults.

i'm all outta whack, maybe cause of his contacts....contacts remind me he is still out there, with a beating heart and a wounded spirit....and it just devastates me.

love to all
jeri
Old 12-30-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Having lost two much-loved siblings to alcoholism and drugs (and likely to lose a third this year), I find the whole 'disease' debate interesting but kind of irrelevant. Doesn't our own personal program remain the same, regardless of our perception of whether a person is "cureable" or not?

My alcoholic sister used to throw her hands in the air dramatically when she was explaining away yet another relapse, and cry out "Oh, if only I didn't have this insidious disease!!"

Those kinds of behaviors by addicts has soured me on the 'disease' thing. But what does it matter what words we use? Disease, affliction, disorder, compulsion, addiction...... label it what you want. Nothing absolves the addict of taking responsibility for his/her own actions. The label doesn't make it "okay" to do whatever they wish while under the influence of their chemical of choice, and simply shrug it off as the symptoms of a disease....Does it?