Getting my feet wet

Old 04-05-2003, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MJ13

Getting my feet wet

I'm not sure of where to start here, but deciding to get my feet wet. I have read the power-posts, and really ID with a lot. I am finally getting help in the form of therapy, and decided to search for a message board of some sort. This is where I wound up.

I am 50, married to a man who will never stop drinking. I have been with him for over 6 years & only married him this past summer. He was on his best behavior for quite a while before we married, he wanted to marry, I didn't. Now I am regretting this move because I see a divorce down the road.

I am a classic al-anon person, I guess. I have all the 'symptoms'. I am very angry about letting my life go awry. I knew when I met my husband that he would be a load of trouble, but I was very lonely, raising 3 kids, and felt desperate. Now I sometimes feel that I am raising 4! My oldest son moved back home recently. He is 27 & was homeless. He is doing better, but he bullies me.

My daughter is 20 and drinks a lot! She is about to move back home, and I am laying some laws down...

My younges son is 16, fairly innocent, but he is a great student, is polite most of the time, and an all around good kid.

I love all my family, I love my husband dearly. I just worry that I will be an old lady putting up with a disgusting old drunk man.

That's it for now. MJ

Old 04-05-2003, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello MJ,

Welcome to the recovery forums! My goodness, you do sound "classic". Have you checked out any alanon meetings in your area? Always feel free to hang out here with us. We identify.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 04-05-2003, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

MF13

I want to welcome you too, and tell you that you have come to a great place to plan a better life for yourself - even with them.

It sounds like you are setting some boundaries, so you are way ahead of most of us when we got here, and hope you will make yourself comfortable and keep reading.

We don't have to take ownership of their bad behaviour, and we can learn that we are worthy of respect starting with self-respect.

Sending you hugs and hope you will join us on our journey.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

MJ,

Let me add my welcome. Make yourself at home!

Hugs,
JT