0%
leave
100.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Seeking advice for myself, 3 kids

Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking advice for myself, 3 kids

Any advice would help. My alcoholic husband is headed for the "bottom" - he has been in treatment, aa, has a sponsor he likes, but continues to relapse - each relapse is worse. I now feel his hopelessness. My concern is our 3 children, 13, 10 and 7. They have seen and experienced things that no child ever should. I feel like an abusive parent keeping them in this situation, but am afraid to leave, for fear of pushing my husband further over the edge. I'm learning that only he can help himself. Is leaving the best thing or will that only make things worse for everyone? He has threatened suicide numerous times, I have found loaded guns near him. Are the kids better off with a dad who's drunk or dead?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The thing that worries me most about your post, is the loaded guns. This is not something you need around your children. What if he should relapse really bad, not be himself and accidentally dislodge a bullet in you or your children. I know you probably think it could never happen to you, but this type of thing happens all the time, and I'm sure the victims think it could never happen to them. This situation is unsafe. Get out for you and your children's safety. Pray that God's will be done, and he doesn't take his own life.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

You do have some serious concerns...get rid of the loaded guns for sure. Read here, there will be expertise reply soon. I'll be praying for you to find an answer and help.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Guns but no kids at my old house

I know now that if he is going to kill himself, I am not going to have anything to do with it. It will be his choice. I do have an obligation to keep myself safe. For me it was a matter of when enough was enough. I don't have children but I had to go for me. You gotta take care of you and your children. If that means moving out, then pack.

It is not easy, it was the hardest thing I ever did but the reward of having me back in a safe loving environment, taking care of me and getting some sanity back has been well worth it.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Okay, if you want to be perfectly logical about it, consider this: you are talking about four lives vs. one life. You can't sacrifice four for one. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

You have tried to help the "one". He has refused to be truly helped. Now it's time to cut him lose and save the other four.

You can't control what he does. You can't. If he's determined to kill himself or sink into a morass, he's an adult and he has the right to go down the drain if he wants to.

But the kids - they are not self-determined. They rely on their parents to protect them. There is no parent able to save them but you. You have a sacred duty to those kids. You made them. They have no one but you. They are children with no abilty to save themselves. It's all up to you to do what mothers have done since time began - protect your kids.

Your husband has made his choices as an adult. It's time to rise to the challenge that life has handed you and make your choices as an adult. The only choice before you is to save the kids. If you want to you can try to help him from afar, but the kids can't live their daily lives like this anymore and neither can you. Show those kids that you all are precious and valuable and deserve better.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Him shooting himself is just one scenerio. If he shoots you who will protect your kids? What if shoots one of the kids? Have you ever heard of a good ending when alcohol and a loaded gun were involved? I think you have the ability to answer your own question. If your friend had three kids, a husband who drank and loaded guns in the house, what would you advice to her be?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

if you decide to stay, that's fine. but the children have no choice in the matter. if he has loaded guns around the house, this is probably neglect of a dependant child.

hon, i lived in such deplorable conditions with my xah, that the insane things he did, started to look like normal everyday life. my thought process became so distorted that i barely knew what was acceptable to me anymore.

forget about trying to help him....it can't be done. all you can do is try to help yourself and your children. he is the only one that can decide to save himself.

the man you used to know is gone.....the alcohol took him, and you cannot force him back to you.

first things first......safety.

you have found a wonderful place for sharing, reading, and posting....you will learn so much....and you will never be alone again in this....we are all here...and we have all lived in it, with it, or through it.....

love to you
jeri
Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

I would have to agree with the above posts, you need to take care of the kids. They are #1, keep them safe. Please
Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On a tear

Is leaving the best thing or will that only make things worse for everyone?
What good thing has come of staying so far? Are the kids happy? Are you happy? Is he sober and happy?

If what you are doing isn't getting you the results you want - try something new. Leaving does not have signal the end of the marriage. You can separate for a period of time... that does not have to be determined up front.

What do you want from life? What are your dreams? What do you want for the children? What makes you smile? What is your favorite color? song? movie? book? place to go?

How can you live your life to the fullest? ... to be the brightest, shiniest ... YOU.... that your HP put you here to be.

(((hugs)))
Old 12-27-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The guns are not a good thing with an active alcoholic in the house. I just left a house like this one, you think nothing bad will happen, but you just never know. I only had me and my cats to protect.........you have your beautiful children. Take care.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BigSis said it best; What good thing has come of staying so far?

You are not responsible for your alcoholic husband’s behavior no matter what he says or does.

The guns in the house are a serious danger to you and your children. The fact he made threats about taking his own life could lead to him being evaluated by a professional and the guns removed from the home, if you chose to phone the police about his threats
Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Madam, does your husband have a problem with alcohol? Were you aware he had loaded guns?, Has he ever threatened to hurt anyone with those guns? Ummmmmm, yes, yes and yes.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you

Your words have given me much needed strength and determination to help handle my situation. I will continue to look to you all to help me find the courage I have been sorely lacking. I am grateful today for finding this website and wonderful resource for support. Thank you so very much.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

KatyKate...

I agree with all of the above advice...

Alcohol and Guns are a deadly mix. Please do what ever is necessary to protect you and your children...

One thing I might add that if you do decide to leave him, don't tell him when he is drunk, around the weapons and with the kids in the house. Make sure you and the children are far away from him when you let him know what you have decided...

I pray you make the right choice...

Stay Strong and Positive...

One day at a time.

Steve
Old 12-27-2006, 11:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In the meantime if you can't remove the alcoholic, remove the guns.That is a step in the right direction.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by mallowcup View Post
In the meantime if you can't remove the alcoholic, remove the guns.That is a step in the right direction.
Excellent advice!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Royalty

No one can tell you whether you should go or not. The fact is that you are here asking, but you already know the answer. It's just a matter of getting the courage to act upon what you already know...that's called fear.

Make a plan, and it will be less scarey.....I believe women's shelters would help you out in a situation like this. The bottom line is you are endangering your children's lives. Seek help TODAY, don't wait for something bad to happen.

Normally I would say, hello, hang out, read everything here, tell you that you are not alone......but this situation calls for immediate action. You don't have time to read everything about the choices to make, you need to act.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Try to think in terms of what is best for your kids to make your decision.

Ngaire
Old 12-27-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

May I suggest, do not go to stay with friends or family, not when guns are involved, go to a shelter, Please !, if you deceide to leave.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HQ
No one can tell you whether you should go or not. The fact is that you are here asking, but you already know the answer. It's just a matter of getting the courage to act upon what you already know...that's called fear.
It is fear, and boy did I have a major case of it. The fear of leaving kept me motionless for several years. In my experience, once I got through the major hump of leaving, it has slowly gotten easier. Making the move was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I know now I did the right thing.
As for the guns....I think it's possible that you don't think too much of it. Maybe I'm making a generalization, but it seems they are even more common in Texas. My AH had several rifles and two loaded handguns in the house at all times. I guess I never worried too much because he liked to hunt and again, maybe it's just here, but having a pistol around wasn't too unusual. That being said, alcoholics and guns really don't mix. They have a psychological and physiological problem with a substance. They don't act or think like everyday people do, especially when they are under the influence. As much as you might know him, it does sound like a really bad combination, one that could end up with a terrible outcome. Take care...we know what you're going through.