Scared!

Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared!

My fiancee has recently had a full fledged grand mal seizure. I'm sure it's from the drinking......I have never witnessed anything so scary and never want to again! Has anyone else been through this?
I'm trying to find a doctor who will do a physical but it isn't easy as we have no insurance (I guess my cash isn't good enough for them?!).
Very frustrated right now.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, Tuffenuff.....I don't have any advice on this matter, but wanted to let you know that there will be others along later on that will have some insight for you.......you are not alone. (((Hugs))))
Old 12-26-2006, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Might he qualify for medicaid? Why not fill out the paperwork and try it? It sure is scarey. If he does it again, call 911. Let them bring him to the ER.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I went through the DTs preety bad and was told, when I came out of it, that if I did not seek medical treatment when I did I would of mostly likely had a seizure.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about his seizure, and how frightening it must have been for you to witness. I have family members who have had seizures and can understand how that feels. How recently did this occur? If it just happened I recommend you take him to the ER, they can not refuse to treat him. We cannot dispense medical advice here but I would not hesitate to get him some help... only a doctor can tell _if_ what your fiancee experienced is a grand mal seizure or not and determine the cause of it.
Have you looked into what health care your county or state can provide? You might want to call your local hospital and see if they have any clinics that they can refer you to.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and *hugs* to you.... I do know how scarry that is.

When I was young I dated a man that was an Alcoholic/Drug Addict. His DOC was cocaine and I was with him once when he overdosed... You are right there is nothing more scarry to watch then that.

Im thinking that the ER might be able to help him. It is however something he has to want too cuz if your not honest with a doc, he cant give you accurate information.

Please take care of you, that kind of experience can leave some pretty nasty thought processes...
Old 12-26-2006, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Wayne C. View Post
" It is however something he has to want too cuz if your not honest with a doc, he cant give you accurate information."

When I went to the E/R, I was honest with the staff from the very beginning, that way they were able to start the appropriate treatment immediatley.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I have seen several grand mal seizures. Not in a human, but in a dog I had years ago. They can be quite violent and disturbing to witness and include not only uncontrolled muscle movements, but choking, vomiting, urination, and defecation--all at the same time.

They can be controlled with Phenobarbitol, which appears to be in demand among addicts since we have to keep it under lock and key in our animal shelter because addicts have stolen it on occassion, so I don't know if it's generally prescribed to folks who suffer from addictions nor whether it will even be effective or contra-indicated in alcoholics.

Obviously, the solution would be to drop drinking, but we all know for addicts that's easier said than done. Best of luck to you and your loved one.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whoa, that's scary.

I had mild hallucinations (visual and auditory) along with all the other "fun stuff" associated with withdrawl, but never went into seizures.

I'll echo what everyone else has pointed out, seek medical help. Isn't there a county or state run hospital you can go to ?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you all didnt go to the ER, you really should.

My hubby was on tramadol, and it was triggering grandmal seizures for him. Of course he took too many at one time, but the seizure is still awful to see.

We have no insurance, and don't qualify for state medical. I sent him to the E.R.

The first one he had, he fell straight back on solid concrete, and busted his head open in 2 places. They said he fell, and that's what caused the seizure.

2nd one was in our bedroom doorway, we all got to witness it. Me, and 2 kids. It was scarey, beyond words. First time I have ever seen one.

I knew what to do, and what not to do - I called 911 and screamed at the poor operator to NOT hang up with me in case he stopped breathing, I know the basics of cpr, but not the count between compressions and breaths. (by the way, the screaming part, was probably one of the what I should NOT have done lol)

I sent my son across to hubby's sister to get help, by then he had stopped the convulsions, and vomitting.
Was VERY disoriented, drew his arm back to hit me (not in his nature), and I just called him by name, and told him I wasnt going to hurt him, to please sit down.

His 3rd seizure he was in a fork lift, and had the seizure, drove it into the side of a diesel. (parked) It busted batteries and had a mild fire. No one was hurt, Praise God.

He hasnt had another one since he realized that tramadol was triggering them, and stopped taking it.

I wonder often how many he may have had when he was walking by himself in the woods, or fishing.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support and advice everyone. This is a man too who is hell bent on getting married ASAP and I'm just like "We need to get your health issues resolved first" (meaning I want to see him not drink for an extended period of time. I told his mother, and am trying to find a Dr.
No, I don't want to see that again!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One thing I would like to share is that wen a man is "hell bent" on a relationship/marriage with me... Well for me that is a HUGE red flag.

They say no big changes in your life for the first year of soberity... That would include marriage, and for my personal feelings about it... the thought of being married to another alcoholic scares the ..... out of me, even if they are in a program and sober.... Im not saying I would not marry an alcoholic, but I sure would not do that quickly.

Maybe he should look for the doctor?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'll say it, then. Knowing what I know about alcoholism today and the effects that it has on non-drinkers, I would NEVER marry an alcoholic or a recovering alcoholic. That would be setting myself up for major heartbreak.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

oh....i have to agree with you fdm.....never again. once around was plenty enough for me. no more of that kind of heartache.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

Can't even think of being in that turmoil again. Life has enuf others for us.
tuffenuff, sure hope you can find a Doctor for him. It is just wrong that Dr's can refuse patients on the grounds of no Insurance. You'll find one that will see him.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynay View Post

Maybe he should look for the doctor?

Yes, I think you are right, that makes alot of sense.......I was just so scared to see him go through that....even if we don't marry....I don't want to see him DIE.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know you dont sweetie.... I know it hurts and it is so much easier to take the reins and just take care of things....

Its called enabling, from what I have heard more Alcoholics die from enabling then from DT's.

Maybe just put the focus back on you???? Its his life and his responsibility to take care of himself. Cant want more for another person then they want for themselves.