December 25 -Courage to Change

Old 12-25-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

December 25 -Courage to Change

From Courage to Change, December 25
In Al-Anon we learn to "Think" before we react to angry outbursts and drunken accusations. We learn to hold our tongues when tempted to interfere in something that is clearly none of our business. We learn the value of silence.

But Silence can be more cutting than cruel words when it's used to punish. Deliberately ignoring someone's attempts to communicatte is no better than engaging in a battle of words. Rage that is expressed non-verbally through cold looks and slammed doors is still rage. When I seek to hurt someone else with silence or any other weapon at my disposal, I always hurt myself.

If I have something I need to say and am as yet unable to say ti in a constructive manner, perhaps I can go to an Al-Anon meeting or call my sponsor and release some of the explosive feelings. I will remember that my aim is to heal myself and my relationships. I will try to make choices that support this goal.

Today's Reminder
What message does my silence communicate? Today I will try to align the stillness of my tongue with a stillness of spirit.

"...If the silence has in it even a trace of anger or hostility, it loses all its power.. .. True quiet has the quality of serrenity, acceptance, peace."
One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
Old 12-25-2006, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of, Merry Christmas one and all. May the spirit of peace be with you today. We only have a few more minutes of christmas day left in my part of the world.

I really liked today's reading from Courage to Change. I especially liked the bit from 'today's reminder' about aligning the tongue and the spirit. Wow!!! i've often been eluded by the mind (emotion)-body connection. It is pretty powerful challenge for me to try to align my thoughts and my actions. I am a walking hypocrite many times..... a tense "i'm fine" when I really mean " i'm disappointed & angry" ... I was meditating on my recent actions which did not demonstrate mind-body alignment (sometimes not extreme but still points of discomfort which I grit my teeth about and did not deal with right then and then)and how I could handle those situations in the future. Sometimes projection is good and is not just fantasy, i think :-)

anyhooooww.... i think the reading really spoke to me because i am very emotionally stunted and have often used the silent treatment as a response to feeling hurt/angry/any unpleasant emotion. It is so hard for me to verbalize my displeasure constructively! But slowly slowly..... I have a lot of hope and am very thankful for Al-Anon fellowship and its program of recovery. I hope that you too have found salvation from this sickeness.

May your holiday season be blessed with love and hope for a new day. merry christmas. Minah