What is rational recovery?

Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is rational recovery?

My guy said he has been reading about this. He says it is different than AA because it teaches you have the power over alcohol, instead of being powerless. Thats all he said. I will do some more research, just wondering if it is good?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Sister Ray,

Sorry, haven't heard of it. CUTE picture though (we pronounce it Kew-It this side of the "creek").

I like that name: Stevens Point. It makes me wonder which Steven it was named for ??? lol

Sorry...feeling silly.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The baby is my Jimmy (named after his dad). He's 13 months old. Stevens Point is a little town named after some guy who started a logging business here. So anyway-Hi, and nice to meet you. Lori
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are many alternatives to AA out there. I think any of them could be beneficial if someone is really serious and committed to getting sober. That's the bottom line. Actions speak louder than words. Let his actions show you if he means it, not his words.

L
Old 12-20-2006, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm learning that. I didn't get very excited to get his letter full of promises. We will see. He has a home to come home to, but this will be his last time. I love him, but I love my kids more. I don't expect him to be perfect, but the angry outbursts will stop, he will get a job, and he will not drink in my house. Those are not unrealistic expectations. If he cannot function here, then he can live elsewhere. I have made this clear to him. I am sure he doesn't think I will follow through, but I will. As he is gone, I am seeing I can be ok. So whatever means he has to go through to get there, I will encourage him. I must be changing, because normally I would be turning myself upside down to learn his new way of recovering. I support him, I love him, I just won't do it for him anymore. Lori
Old 12-20-2006, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm also in the camp that any recovery program that works is worth it. I think it's great we live in a time where so many options are available. When someone is ready, it's all there waiting, addict and non-addict alike.

Sounds like good boundaries. I also had alone time which helped me realize I would do just fine on my own. Which looking back, strikes me a little funny, since I was on my own doing fine for 14 years before living with AH.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Distance is turning out to be a good thing. We have broken up before, but this is the first time he is actually away for more than a few days at a time. Even when we are split, we still talk pretty much every day. So him being in jail is actually a blessing. I can take a bit of a step back. Its cool that I found this site at this time too!