maybe a change.....

Old 04-02-2003, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

maybe a change.....

Hello Friends,
Life has been a bit calmer over the past week. My husband admitted to me on Monday that he has a problem and he asked me to pray for him that he can resist the desire to drink. Things have been out of control in the two weeks leading up to this, plus he got information from his doctor about heart trouble in addition to the gout problems. He called me at work to tell me this, so it wasn't in response to my pressure. He is going to see his doctor today to ask about a medication that is supposed to decrease your desire to drink. And also to talk about how to beat this. I mentioned AA again and he is against that. His last drink was Saturday I think.

I am trying not to get my hopes up about this. I know that he has a long road ahead. But this is something, a begining.

Does anyone have any information on a medication that reduces your desire to drink? It seems to me if it worked I would have heard more about it.

I feel pretty calm, it is easier when there is no crisis every day. Please pray for us. thanks
Old 04-02-2003, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya Rose!

There are drugs on the market that affect the desire to drink... more than one. From reading on the alcoholism pages I understand that some of them cause a reaction of nausea and/or pain if combined with alcohol, and they do work for some people. If you can find out the name of the drug that is being prescribed, I'm sure we can find a web page that will explain about its properties.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 04-02-2003, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rose,

I’ve heard of a few drugs (although no experience personally) naltrexonen, (which also is used to treat heroin addiction), and another one, acamprosate. They were supposed to reduce desire. But, according to this site, may not be effective.
http://www.twilightbridge.com/thetimes/alcohol.htm
Then there is antabuse, which is supposed to make people nauseous if they drink.

My husband also has medical problems related to drug and alcohol abuse. AA seems to help him. But believe me, he was really against it at first. It took a long time and several rehabs/programs/hospitalizations for him to actually internalize that he had a problem. He’s been sober almost 60 days now…

Best,
c
Old 04-02-2003, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Rose

I am happy for your that he is taking a step in the right direction. I am only vaguely familiar with Antibuse, which makes you sick when you drink, but I think these medications are not a magic pill, but just one of many tools in recovery. He may have to do some other work too, maybe counselling if AA is not an option for him.

I'm rooting for you too. And sending good recovery vibes your way for both of you.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Rose,

It is amazing how this life works. You have been working so hard for a year now and will be so much more able to be there for him...in the right ways.

Where did I put those pom poms!!

(((Hugs)))
JT
Old 04-02-2003, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

****{Rose}}}

Sending hugs and prayers your way!!

Hugs,
Debbie
Old 04-02-2003, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Here they are JT

Old 04-03-2003, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rose:

Good to hear the good news!

I brought mine, JT!

Ready................OK!
Old 04-03-2003, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks friends,
I am less optimistic this morning after last night - another slip for my husband. When he went to the doctor's he had several things to discuss, heart, gout and he "forgot" to ask her about something to reduce his desire to drink. And when I got home he was not there - out drinking. When he came home he was very drunk. I have made progress because I did not engage him at all last night. He tried several things to try to push my buttons and I wasn't even tempted to bite. It is sad to see someone going through this. But I didn't even get upset, I just told myself to ignor him, he is not himself.

This morning I am thinking about what I can learn from this situation. What is the message, how can I stregthen my faith, what should my next step be, can I live this way forever. The questions always come easier than the answers. I feel a bit of emotional detachment today, like this is his awful problem and not mine. I feel thankful that I am not struggling with this problem, and understand that by the grace of God I have been spared this misery.

Thanks again for your cheers, this set back does not mean that he has lost his fight. And I am one step closer to knowing if I will be there with him to the end. Just for Today I am alive and well.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
believer

((((((Rose)))))))

Every day you are growing so much stronger! You sound so positive in your posts and you've made so much progress!

I'm sorry for your husband but I'm glad you aren't letting him get you down.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Hugs,
JG
Old 04-03-2003, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

It always gives me a little thrill when an alcoholic starts saying they "may" have a problem. That means alot of the fun has gone out of it. We all have a first babystep..

Hugs,
JT
Old 04-03-2003, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Rose,

Come over here so I can just hug you and tell you to hang in there. You're making progress in the midst of all this crap (excuse my french) you're having to go through. I know you may not feel like it, but you are.

Just know prayers are being sent up for you today.

Love,
Hangin' In
Old 04-03-2003, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Rose))))

You are so strong! It must have taken a lot to not respond to him! This could be a set-back, but it could work the other way, you never know. And at the very least, I'd say you took 2 steps forward. One day at a time!

Do something nice for yourself--you deserve it!

Lyn