Courage to Change ~ December 13

Old 12-13-2006, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ December 13

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II

Flying down a hill on a bicycle, I always feel tremendously alive, in perfect balance. Al-Anon helps me to balance my life as if it were a ride on a bike and to carry that vitality into each day— especially when I apply the slogan, “Live and let live.”

I try to embrace whatever life brings, with all its joys and sorrows, for it all has something to offer me. I made that discovery one night in an Al-Anon meeting when someone asked, “What would happen if I started thanking God when problems occurred?” At first I had to force myself to say, “Thank you, God,” through clenched teeth. By and by, my teeth unlocked and I replaced self-pity with gratitude. I truly began to live.

When I live my own life to the utmost, it is easier to let others live theirs. Aliveness is mine. I pray others are blessed with it too.

Today’s Reminder

I want the very best for those I love. I am growing to appreciate the joy of fully participating in life. And I choose to allow others to enjoy this sometimes difficult but rewarding blessing of learning from all of their experiences. Today I will “Live and let live.”

“It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.”

Ursula LeGuin
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks cats....i needed to read this for today. i read it once last night before i went to bed, but i JUST read....you know what i mean??

today, when i read, i let it sink in. and it changed my plans for the day.

jeri
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

And I choose to allow others to enjoy this sometimes difficult but rewarding blessing of learning from all of their experiences.
This was the most wonderful concept for me to REALLY get.. that of stepping back and allowing my loved ones to experience the blessing of their own consequences. Before I always thought it was my job to protect them from things that would hurt them... even though they may have brought the whole situation upon themselves.

Now I able to give each one the dignity to learn his/her own life lessons without my "help" or interference.

~ Cat
Old 12-13-2006, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

today, i was all prepared to challenge the judicial system re:release of xah from jail when there was a petition to revoke that was supposed to be served on him...was gonna call all the officials....that's what i do when all other measures don't work for me, and i go into full codi mode....

down deep i was so wanting for this to be the time that he "got it" and he would reclaim his own body again and be once more, the husband that i knew and loved.

so i was churning with all those ugly feelings, feeling all out of control.

then i read this reading for the day....the words that lept out at me.....When I live my own life to the utmost, it is easier to let others live theirs. Aliveness is mine. I pray others are blessed with it too.

so it was clear to me that having the agenda that i had today, was not living my own life to it's utmost....i was interfering once again, trying to force a solution or bottom for him to hit....and by doing so, i was really feeling badly inside of myself. it's not my battle to pursue.

so, i will say a prayer for him and will be rest assured that my life will be good for today.